Why become a member? ×

New cab and amp - decisions, decisions

Jenny_Innie

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1415706764' post='2602819']
Hmmmm. Did I say that? It's a factor. Don't go getting all upset if I don't agree with you.
[/quote]

ha... don't worry I'm not weeping into my lunch...

The thing is, it's a trade off obviously with weight, tone, cost etc. Weight and cost are objective and easy to quantify which cab is better in each respect however tone being subjective is down to personal preference. IMO Vanderklays may be heavier than barefaced but I feel the tone is far superior and therefor the extra weight is justified.

Edited by CamdenRob

I would also probably have to add a Vanderkley to the 112 list, but it wasn't part of the demo
so ..??

But if you are anywhere near Reading and Bassgear, check out those S112's at 10kgs...as bang for buck they slay
anything I've come across...and that buck is about £200 cheaper than the 'best'

If you're basing your decision about cabs - especially on one cab cutting through and another not - on one soundcheck, I'd spend a bit of time checking out various cabs in various bands in various spaces. The two latter variables make a massive difference, and whilst it seems reasonable to suggest that in the one situation in which you've tested your gear a brighter cab might do the job better, you might find a brighter cab not to your liking in others.

Just wanted to say another + for Markbass cabs
I've got a 210 combo, and it cuts through nicely

I used to have a Markbass 15 as well, which I sold
That was a nice cab (sold due to needing space, and having another cab I didn't want to sell too)

Markbass gear certainly is comparatively lightweight
I know - cos I'm getting too old to shift heavy stuff around ;)

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1415704362' post='2602783']
Those are heavier. You'd have to be 5'2" and under 8st to understand that.
[/quote]

It's all relative really. The heaviest "light" cab is still a light cab, and the lightest "heavy" cab is still a heavy cab...

Having used (and owned) a number of Barefaced cabs, their lightness always amazes me. They all have slightly different tones (although some people say that they don't like the "Barefaced tone"!) but of course, their tones are not for everyone and every situation. I like them, but I don't get offended when people say that they don't! :)

In the last couple of years, the range of "very light" cabs has increased - with representatives from manufacturers such as Vanderkley, Purple Chili, TKS, Bergantino, Markbass, Gallien-Krueger, Genz-Benz (and others I have no doubt forgotten!) as well as Barefaced. All offer different solutions to the various problems of weight, tone, volume, style, finish and build quality, etc.

It is a very interesting section of the market and if you have a budget of over £500 (per cab) then you really have a lot to choose between! I find myself rather envious! :gas:

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1415716312' post='2602975']
It's all relative really. The heaviest "light" cab is still a light cab, and the lightest "heavy" cab is still a heavy cab...

Having used (and owned) a number of Barefaced cabs, their lightness always amazes me. They all have slightly different tones (although some people say that they don't like the "Barefaced tone"!) but of course, their tones are not for everyone and every situation. I like them, but I don't get offended when people say that they don't! :)

In the last couple of years, the range of "very light" cabs has increased - with representatives from manufacturers such as Vanderkley, Purple Chili, TKS, Bergantino, Markbass, Gallien-Krueger, Genz-Benz (and others I have no doubt forgotten!) as well as Barefaced. All offer different solutions to the various problems of weight, tone, volume, style, finish and build quality, etc.

It is a very interesting section of the market and if you have a budget of over £500 (per cab) then you really have a lot to choose between! I find myself rather envious! :gas:
[/quote]

Great post ;)

To OP:
A couple of trips to a few music stores and maybe the goodwill of some basschatters may help you try different pieces of gear and choose for yourself what suits you best.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1415716312' post='2602975']

[/quote]

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1415717562' post='2602988']
Great post ;)
[/quote]

Yes to be honest that pretty much sums it up....

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1415717562' post='2602988']
To OP:
A couple of trips to a few music stores and maybe the goodwill of some basschatters may help you try different pieces of gear and choose for yourself what suits you best.
[/quote]

Indeed! If we knew where the OP was based, we could even suggest a mini-bash of some description in order to showcase the available options (or at least some of them). :D

+1 for the bergantino. The CN112 is easily carried in one hand - even by an 8st weakling like myself (how come an 8stone bloke is a weakling and an 8stone girlie is just petite?). Any way, there's a pair of bergs in the for sale section that might be worth looking at...