Why become a member? ×

How much should I pay for a P?

Painy

For some reason, despite the fact that in over 19 years of playing I've always found the look, feel and sound of a P bass to be a bit 'mmeh', I suddenly find myself with horrendous gas for one. I don't really have the budget for a pre CBS Fender (or even a pre CBS tuning peg to be honest) but I may have a chance to pick up a Squire affinity P.
I know it's an entry level squire (I'd probably mod it to a better spec over time) but my question is, what would be a fair price to offer for one in decent condition?

If you always thought P's a bit mmeh, not sure an Affinity will change your mind. Nowt wrong with them but can't see one exciting you much. Why not save a little more and aim for a Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified.

But concerning Affinity prices check on Ebay completed/sold listings, there will be loads of them and you should be able to get a good idea on a fair price.

This one runs out tonight no bidders as of yet.
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Squier-Affinity-P-Bass-Excellent-overall-condition-/121472082453?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item1c484ce215"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Squier-Affinity-P-Bass-Excellent-overall-condition-/121472082453?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item1c484ce215[/url]

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1415010905' post='2595499']
This one runs out tonight no bidders as of yet.
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Squier-Affinity-P-Bass-Excellent-overall-condition-/121472082453?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item1c484ce215"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Squier-Affinity-P-Bass-Excellent-overall-condition-/121472082453?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item1c484ce215[/url]
[/quote]

Did spot that as it happens. Given that £40 for any bass that's half playable would obviously be a bit of a bargain anyway , would the general view here be that the £80 buy it now price is not unreasonable (if for example a few people were to put bids in pushing the price up from its current bargain basement price).
To be honest if I could pick this up for £40 if be pretty happy. I think I'd feel a bit bad offering that low a price to a friend but a complete stranger on eBay is another matter!

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1415010022' post='2595489']
I have nothing useful to add, but when I read the subject of the post I thought to myself "depends on how desperate you need to go" ;)

Sorry.
[/quote]
You beat me to it (I guess that means I'm stuck in the queue behind you.)

Those of us of a certain age will recall that the going rate was 1d. Now, at yer typical railway station, it's up to 30p. Which is 72d!

That Affinity on eBay has quite a bit of surface damage on (I presume) the back of the body; the finish and durability doesn't look brilliant IMHO. If it were me I'd hang on and find a secondhand VM or CV which will have better quality construction and materials and better pickups.

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1415016483' post='2595591']

Those of us of a certain age will recall that the going rate was 1d. Now, at yer typical railway station, it's up to 30p. Which is 72d!
[/quote]

For six shillings, I'd expect someone to come and hold it for me.

GAS can be a cruel mistress. To be honest, longer term at least, what I'm really gassing for is a six string jazz style bass which is what got me thinking about Fender style basses in the first place.
A budget P bass was really just a way to keep the GAS at bay while I save for a Bass Mods K6 which is why I was looking at the affinity range as I don't want it to put too big a dent in the savings for the jazz. Unfortunately I now actually want both basses so maybe the VM or CV would be a better option longer term.

Once again I find myself questioning how much I really need both my kidneys and how much I could get for one of them!

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1415016483' post='2595591']

[/quote] +1

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1415026178' post='2595771']
GAS can be a cruel mistress. To be honest, longer term at least, what I'm really gassing for is a six string jazz style bass which is what got me thinking about Fender style basses in the first place.
A budget P bass was really just a way to keep the GAS at bay while I save for a Bass Mods K6 which is why I was looking at the affinity range as I don't want it to put too big a dent in the savings for the jazz. Unfortunately I now actually want both basses so maybe the VM or CV would be a better option longer term.

Once again I find myself questioning how much I really need both my kidneys and how much I could get for one of them!
[/quote] It sounds to me like you should play the bass first. Thinking of the old thing of "it's in the fingers". You should make sure that "Painy factor" works with the bass. It's not simply a matter of price.

I bought a very good condition affinity p a few months ago for 67 pounds. They seem to go between 60 and 100 and should be in good nik. Scruffy ones should be under 50 really.
Cash generator often have them in. postage tends to be 5 pound.

When looking for one get a older model. In the last couple of years they cheapened them further in construction of the neck and the smaller cheapo enclosed tuners.

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]It sounds to me like you should play the bass first. Thinking of the old thing of "it's in the fingers". You should make sure that "Painy factor" works with the bass. It's not simply a matter of price.[/font][/color][/quote] +1 For example I payed for my Squier affinity about £162.- (for new) and honestly I was ready to pay much more. Why? You can hear and read about that from this topic [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/248523-squier-affinity-p-bass-vs-fender-custom-shop-pino-palladino-p-bass/"]http://basschat.co.u...lladino-p-bass/[/url]

If looking at cheaper instruments, checking out the Korean Squiers is definitely worth doing. Very nice basses, and the necks are great on them.

This one def worth a look, if I dodn`t already have one I`d buy it:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/248319-squier-mik-precision-bass-l100-delivered/

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1415010022' post='2595489']
I have nothing useful to add, but when I read the subject of the post I thought to myself "depends on how desperate you need to go" ;)

Sorry.
[/quote]

It's 30 pence at railway stations now !