Why become a member? ×

ebay scam????advice please

just sold an acoustic guitar on ebay for £100 plus £15 postage, just had an email from the guy who reckons the neck is split (whether he's saying it's happened in transit or it's always been there I don't know, I certainly never noticed a split in the neck) and he's had a quote of £75 to repair it, I've just asked him for pictures.
He's only got feedback of 3 over several years, anybody else been in this situation?
If I ask him to send it back for a refund who pays the postage?

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1414522507' post='2590245']
Did you photograph it as it was being packaged and was it insured?

Without him sending you pictures I'd do nowt. If you do decide on a refund, he should pay the postage.
[/quote]
No, I didn't photograph it being packed, sent it by parcelforce 48, do they insure you up to £50 for musical instruments?

If he has signed for it in good condition he may have a problem. However if he takes up with ebay they will generally favour the buyer.

Sorry but from experience, mine and many others, you are likely to lose out on this. Did he pay by paypal. If not the he can't get an automatic refund.

[quote name='gelfin' timestamp='1414533297' post='2590451']
If he has signed for it in good condition he may have a problem. However if he takes up with ebay they will generally favour the buyer.

Sorry but from experience, mine and many others, you are likely to lose out on this. Did he pay by paypal. If not the he can't get an automatic refund.
[/quote]
Yes, he paid on Paypal, from his email the insinuation was that I hadn't described it properly which I know I did, do paypal just refund him the money without returning the goods, surely not, that would be a scammers charter

Sorry to be the bearer but you will be lucky if it goes in your favour. I sold an item and sent it recorded delivery. It was signed for at the address but the buyer said they hadn't received it. I got copies of the signature and all details possible from the courier. Ebay said I could not prove that the buyer actually received it and refunded their money from my paypal account. The courier insurance would not pay out as they had proof of delivery. It seems ebay now relies on the honesty of the buyer and if they choose to scam you they can. I do not now sell on ebay and if I did it would be cash on collection only...

Edited by itsmedunc

[quote name='itsmedunc' timestamp='1414576625' post='2590783']
Sorry to be the bearer but you will be lucky if it goes in your favour. I sold an item and sent it recorded delivery. It was signed for at the address but the buyer said they hadn't received it. I got copies of the signature and all details possible from the courier. Ebay said I could not prove that the buyer actually received it and refunded their money from my paypal account. The courier insurance would not pay out as they had proof of delivery. It seems ebay now relies on the honesty of the buyer and if they choose to scam you they can. I do not now sell on ebay and if I did it would be cash on collection only...
[/quote]
I'm beginning to see why there's so many cash on collection items on ebay these days, at least he's admitted receiving it, no pictures of the damage yet though.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1414589612' post='2591018']
the guy's just sent me pictures of marks on the neck, that weren't there when I sent it, can't tell whether it's split or not, anyway I've asked him to send it back and I'll give him a full refund
[/quote]

I hope it's just cosmetic. Selling through ebay can be risky.

If it will genuinely cost £75 to fix a guitar that only sold for £100, it's effectively a write off.

Why not find a local BCer to pick it up from him and betweenyou and the local guy decide what action to take. If it can be fixed for a good price, then at least you will be all the better for it rather than the buyer.

Nobody can enforce CASH on collection, end of.

If a buyer chooses to pay by PAINPal, you either sell them it or refund and re-advertise, because FEEBay will force you through with the sale or ban you.

A lot of people now use FEEBay as a shop window, with a bin price, 30 days advert and they pull it when the PM's come in.

PAINPal can also hold on to your money even without disputes.
It's frankly a nightmare but sadly, I think you are about to lose your money. PAINPal will very probably refund him, just hope you get the guitar back.
Good luck.

He offered to send it back but I decided to lessen the hassle ( he could have damaged it even more out of spite before sending it back) and I offered him £40 back which he has now excepted, I've sold quite a bit of stuff on ebay with no problems, but the low feedback caused me concern, with good reason as it turned out, having said that he seemed a genuine guy in the email conversations I had with him, but you can never tell can you?

Edited by PaulWarning

If he is a scammer, he isn't very good at it. As said above, if he had complained to eBay/Paypal etc, he would more than likely have had his £100 refunded to him.

Maybe this is a rare (and odd) case of honesty? Or, yeah, he may just be rubbish at scamming.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1415007337' post='2595447']
I've just been enrolled onto ebay's Global Shipping Programme, am I being paranoid or does this increase the chances of being scammed?
[/quote]

No more or less chance of being scammed.

However as a seller I've done three transactions via the Global Shipping Programme and they have all been problematic.

The shipping charges to buyers seem to be far higher than those I can offer myself.

Also there is a maximum size of 120 cm length on parcels which a well-packed bass may well be over (especially if you are using a bicycle box) as your outer.

Un-enroll now before you get caught out.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1415032136' post='2595876']
No more or less chance of being scammed.

However as a seller I've done three transactions via the Global Shipping Programme and they have all been problematic.

The shipping charges to buyers seem to be far higher than those I can offer myself.

Also there is a maximum size of 120 cm length on parcels which a well-packed bass may well be over (especially if you are using a bicycle box) as your outer.

Un-enroll now before you get caught out.
[/quote]

I'm going to be putting my SEI on there at the weekend.
How do I un-enroll please?
Cheers,
Karl.