Why become a member? ×

Poll: Name The Bass Amplifier - Ideas Please...

Sean

[quote name='Platypus' timestamp='1413450416' post='2578288']
On the motorcycle theme, don't think we've had any Velocette models yet:
Thruxton
Venom
Viper
Valiant
[/quote]

... LE 200 ...

... and damned fine bikes they are, too..!
Could be put [i]à la française[/i]..? [u][i]Le[/i][/u] 200..?

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1413462980' post='2578453']
... LE 200 ...

[attachment=173964:Velo_LE_200.jpg]

... and damned fine bikes they are, too..!
Could be put [i]à la française[/i]..? [u][i]Le[/i][/u] 200..?
[/quote]

We called em Noddy Bikes round here. Watercooled, scalded your legs if they boiled over.

Could call the amp Nodder 200 I spose.

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1413464391' post='2578478']
We called em Noddy Bikes round here. Watercooled, scalded your legs if they boiled over...
[/quote]

So did we..! My first bike (aged 14...), hand gear shift, scraped the running boards if too enthusiastic on corners, but smooth as silk, very quiet (I've never gone for Thruxton Throb and the like...). Shaft drive, so no chain to grease, and leg protection, so less (not none, just less...) weather damage to the exposed knees. Happy Daze.
No, I'll vote again for [i]Le[/i] 200.
I've been watching the build and all, as we use a very similar Hiwatt DR205. They really are, imo, the answer for clean bass. Impressive build, worthy of its lineage; well done.

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1413375471' post='2577631']
I'm currently liking [i]Taranis, [/i]the Celtic/British god of thunder and king of the gods.
[/quote]

Hope the amp costs a bit less than this Taranis

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAE_Systems_Taranis"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAE_Systems_Taranis[/url]

;)

How about using the label Pantheon and then having sub-names based on gods for each style of amp, based on each amp's appearance and attributes?

There are plenty to choose from: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Greek_mythological_figures

Mind you, naming stuff that I make is a big part of the fun for me (I have a huge list of words, phrases and even verses that I have made up, just for naming effects pedals that I might build sometime in the future. The first proper pedal I built is a Big Muff and Musket in one box, it's called "Dank and Fetid Earth beneath a Doom Coloured Sun"...), but I could imagine it being a bit of a hassle every time you change the colour of something, if you don't find it as much fun as me.

Edited by KingBollock

[quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1413700730' post='2580930']
You may want to check the spelling on Cthulhu ;)
[/quote]

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cthulhu

I did. Thoroughly. Read loads about it too. I'm a spelling/grammar/pronunciation pedant and also a pragmatist.

And a huge Metallica fan.

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1413704000' post='2580941']
[url="http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cthulhu"]http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cthulhu[/url]

I did. Thoroughly. Read loads about it too. I'm a spelling/grammar/pronunciation pedant and also a pragmatist.

And a huge Metallica fan.
[/quote]

+1 and I voted for Ktulu, Would make a great amp name IMO.

None of the options interest me. Seems like a precursor to the 2015 general election... :(

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1413717321' post='2581083']
You can tell a bunch of blokes thought of all those names... All a bit corny.
[/quote]

Quite. Should have got a few BC women involved.
Then we could have had 'Princess', 'Dildo', or 'Angry Hymen'. *Quickly runs away*

Voted for Vampire but Taranis was my close second choice so it's all good. FWIW, Vampire made me think of an early British jet fighter . :)

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1413717321' post='2581083']
You can tell a bunch of blokes thought of all those names.. All a bit corny.
[/quote]

Seeing as it'll be a bunch of blokes using the amp that's probably a good thing. I suppose [i]you'd[/i] have named it the MJW Lilac Bouquet, ya big poncey metrosexual.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1413728260' post='2581268']
Seeing as it'll be a bunch of blokes using the amp that's probably a good thing. I suppose [i]you'd[/i] have named it the MJW Lilac Bouquet, ya big poncey metrosexual.
[/quote]

Hmm, the names in the poll do seem to be aimed at the D&D playing crowd! Still, EBS did OK with a similar naming scheme and it's probably better than sniggering-blokes-in-a-tour-bus style innuendo (as pioneered by Electro Harmonix).

Well, there were other names suggested. I offered 'Sunbeam', and '[i]Le[/i] 200'; hardly mega-macho..?
As BEA apprentices, we dismembered a Vampire for project building. In the cable run, between the seats, we found a spanner, left there in error..! At any moment, it could easily have jammed the cable controls. A lucky last flight, and a lesson learned concerning assiduity in toolbox control. B)

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1413729813' post='2581286']
Well, there were other names suggested. I offered 'Sunbeam', and '[i]Le[/i] 200'; hardly mega-macho..?
[/quote]

That's true. I'm one who struggles with names for things; I built my own pedals, guitar amp and bass and none of them have names as I can't come up with any that don't make me cringe a little! I had an Aria "Thor Sound Bass" which I always used to refer to as the TSB. I can see why manufacturers so often go with the boring alphanumeric titles...

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1413729779' post='2581285']

Hmm, the names in the poll do seem to be aimed at the D&D playing crowd! Still, EBS did OK with a similar naming scheme and it's probably better than sniggering-blokes-in-a-tour-bus style innuendo (as pioneered by Electro Harmonix).
[/quote]

It's not too late if you're feeling creative.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1413728260' post='2581268']
Voted for Vampire but Taranis was my close second choice so it's all good. FWIW, Vampire made me think of an early British jet fighter . :)

[/quote]

I'd have named it the MJW 200B Mk1. With lilac tolex.