Why become a member? ×

The 'Show us your Limelight!' thread

wateroftyne

I was fully ready to replace the pickups in my '61 J but to my astonishment, the stock pickups are genuinely excellent - very close to an early '60s but higher output than most. The tort plate is extremely clever (though replaced by an even more beautiful Spitfire). Mark does an excellent job - only gripe is a frozen bridge - I've now replaced the saddles with really nice brass units and the action/intonation is better than any Fender I've played or owned (and that's a lot!)

[quote name='three' timestamp='1411546446' post='2560461']
only gripe is a frozen bridge - I've now replaced the saddles with really nice brass units and the action/intonation is better than any Fender I've played or owned (and that's a lot!)
[/quote]

Do you mean the saddles wouldn't move up or down? Don't seem to have that issue on mine...What brass replacements did you use out of interest?

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1411561071' post='2560626']

Do you mean the saddles wouldn't move up or down? Don't seem to have that issue on mine...What brass replacements did you use out of interest?
[/quote]

+1... I had no such issue with the bridge saddles on mine either.

Geek99 - apologies, I should have been more specific re: the tort - it has a fairly authentic red celluloid look but I was referring primarily to the relicing - it's excellent and the faked 'crack' behind a screw is very cute.

Re: the frozen bridge, it was perhaps over-reliced and the process (oxidisation) had interfered with function. One intonation screw and six of the saddle screws were entirely frozen - various solvents/lubricants/techniques failed to free them. Mark politely acknowledged the problem and is likely to offer advice/guidance in the future. I replaced all intonation screws and saddles - the latter with inexpensive but good brass barrels. The barrels are not threaded but its not an issue for me - the bass plays beautifully

Edited by three

[quote name='three' timestamp='1411586099' post='2560984']
Geek99 - apologies, I should have been more specific re: the tort - it has a fairly authentic red celluloid look but I was referring primarily to the relicing - it's excellent and the faked 'crack' behind a screw is very cute.

Re: the frozen bridge, it was perhaps over-relived and the process (oxidisation) had interfered with function. One intonation screw and six of the saddle screws were entirely frozen - various solvents/lubricants/techniques failed to free them. Mark politely acknowledged the problem and is likely to offer advice/guidance in the future. I replaced all intonation screws and saddles - the latter with inexpensive but good brass barrels. The barrels are not threaded but its not an issue for me - the bass plays beautifully
[/quote]

I had the same issue with the screws on the saddles rusted in place.
A £10 bridge off FEEBay, replaced the saddles/intonation screws on the bass and now it's perfect and set up how I like it.

My saddles too came from eBay - about a tenner and very nicely done. The bridge is a small gripe as the bass is phenomenal overall - I'll write a full review when I have a chance but for now, I'd say that if you were thinking of buying a relic, Limelight are for me, the highest quality and best value by far.

Re: the frozen bridge, it was perhaps over-reliced and the process (oxidisation) had interfered with function. One intonation screw and six of the saddle screws were entirely frozen[/quote]

Balls! I do have this problem with a couple of the saddle height screws...I didn't need to check them after initial set up, but checked last night and three are locked (including both on the G string saddle).

I'll have a word with Mark, as I'm also interested in getting an aged strap pin for the back of the headstock!...

I've had this problem on reliced bridges before (not from Mark, but my own jobbies).
The Jazzneck trick now is to give them a [b]tiny[/b] squirt of WD40 immediately after the relicing is finished and work the threads on every screw before fitting the strings.
Assembled bridge then wiped dry with a soft cloth and I end up with unaffected more realistic relicing and WD40 lubrication on the screw threads.
I will do this as soon as I have my mits on my Limelight P assuming, of course, that Mark has not already done so.
Getting exited now, only a few more weeks to wait. :)

Edited by Jazzneck

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1411642587' post='2561418']

Balls! I do have this problem with a couple of the saddle height screws...I didn't need to check them after initial set up, but checked last night and three are locked (including both on the G string saddle).

I'll have a word with Mark, as I'm also interested in getting an aged strap pin for the back of the headstock!...
[/quote]

You could just get them here: http://www.axesrus.co.uk/Vintage-Style-Strap-Pins-Reliced-p/he004-dist.htm

Re: the frozen bridge, it was perhaps over-reliced and the process (oxidisation) had interfered with function. One intonation screw and six of the saddle screws were entirely frozen - various solvents/lubricants/techniques failed to free them. Mark politely acknowledged the problem and is likely to offer advice/guidance in the future. I replaced all intonation screws and saddles - the latter with inexpensive but good brass barrels. The barrels are not threaded but its not an issue for me - the bass plays beautifully
[/quote]

Another thing to watch though is the pup screws, all the ones on my Jazz pups are frozen and as the pups aren't that high in output I would've liked to raise them a bit.

Edited by martthebass

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1411651197' post='2561550']
Another thing to watch though is the pup screws, all the ones on my Jazz pups are frozen and as the pups aren't that high in output I would've liked to raise them a bit.
[/quote]

Oh no, that sounds like a bit of an issue! Do you know why and how they're frozen? I imagine that'll be an issue if you want to swap them out at any point!...

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1409598876' post='2541406']
Proud to be part of the club :)

[url="http://s674.photobucket.com/user/FuNkShUi/media/20140901_171019.jpg.html"][/url]
[url="http://s674.photobucket.com/user/FuNkShUi/media/20140901_171026.jpg.html"][/url]
[url="http://s674.photobucket.com/user/FuNkShUi/media/20140901_171042.jpg.html"][/url]
[url="http://s674.photobucket.com/user/FuNkShUi/media/20140901_171102.jpg.html"][/url]
[url="http://s674.photobucket.com/user/FuNkShUi/media/20140901_171137.jpg.html"][/url]
[url="http://s674.photobucket.com/user/FuNkShUi/media/20140901_171151.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

Ah, so that's where it ended up!!

Is that the custom order for someone else that Mark recently had advertised on his site?

I put a deposit down on this, if it is that bass........

Bummer.

Saving for one now!!

Looks amazing.

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1411655432' post='2561612']

Oh no, that sounds like a bit of an issue! Do you know why and how they're frozen? I imagine that'll be an issue if you want to swap them out at any point!...
[/quote]

Spoke with MMR on this one..it is down to the aging on the screws. To be fair I haven't had a go with a power driver which could perhaps work, but could conversely shear the screws. If it was a major issue I'd send it back to be sorted.

My pup screws are fine however I will be taking them out one at a time, lubricating, then replacing.
So they stay fine. :)

Very seriously thinking about a second commission now :rolleyes:

I know I hummed and hawed about the one Raslee bought, so probably something very akin to that.

Edited by karlfer

Here's my '62 P Bass in black and very nice it is too. Sorry for the poor quality IPhone pics but haven't had time to photograph it properly. I had the same problem as "Three" in that the bridge saddles were so "reliced" they had frozen up and couldn't be adjusted at all so I replaced with some quality brass units from Ebay for about a tenner! It's got quite a chunky neck and I currently have Roto 45-105 Jazz Flats on it nd it sounds amazing, especially with all the tone rolled off!

The second shot shows the addition of bridge/pickup covers. I think this really sets the bass off beautifully !

[quote name='bassintheface' timestamp='1411658766' post='2561656']
Ah, so that's where it ended up!!

Is that the custom order for someone else that Mark recently had advertised on his site?

Looks amazing.
[/quote]

It is indeed the custom order he had up on his site.
Yeh, id say to keep saving. You wont be dissapointed!

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1411415622' post='2559376']
Here's mine in action at yesterday's dep gig with a proper rock band (which isn't normally my thing, but it was mint fun). That neck pickup is a doozy.
[/quote]

I've really been enjoying the neck pickup on mine too, sounds closer to a P-Bass pickup than on any other Jazz Bass I've played! Sounds just like JJ Burnell, so I've got a Jaco tone on the bridge and Stranglers tone on the neck :huh:...They seem to work well together somehow though! :lol:

[quote name='steviebee74' timestamp='1412251235' post='2567145']
Here's my '62 P Bass in black and very nice it is too. Sorry for the poor quality IPhone pics but haven't had time to photograph it properly. I had the same problem as "Three" in that the bridge saddles were so "reliced" they had frozen up and couldn't be adjusted at all so I replaced with some quality brass units from Ebay for about a tenner! It's got quite a chunky neck and I currently have Roto 45-105 Jazz Flats on it nd it sounds amazing, especially with all the tone rolled off!

The second shot shows the addition of bridge/pickup covers. I think this really sets the bass off beautifully !
[/quote] That's stunning, i like :)

Steviebee - very lovely indeed! I particularly like the tort guard. Frozen bridges aside (a minor irritation and an easy fix) I'm getting more convinced these are superb basses. The relicing is frighteningly good but Limelights are brilliant players with very authentic tone. I've never been able to get the action down so low on a Fender as I can on the Limelight J. Stunning value