Why become a member? ×

The 'Show us your Limelight!' thread

wateroftyne

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1411125945' post='2556692']
Stunning jazz bakerster, well done that man!
Does a bit of a good job that Mark fella :D
[/quote]

Cheers Karl! Well I had the neck off it this morning, small tweak, then action and intonation, and now it's just how I like it!

Put it through the Mesa this arvo, and the pickups definitely sound nicer than my 62 AVRI Jazz. Warmer and a bit more in the low mids. Very intrigued to know what he uses too now!...

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1411125945' post='2556692']
Stunning jazz bakerster, well done that man!
Does a bit of a good job that Mark fella :D
[/quote]

Cheers Karl! Well I had the neck off it this morning, small tweak, then action and intonation, and now it's just how I like it!

Put it through the Mesa this arvo, and the pickups definitely sound nicer than my 62 AVRI Jazz. Warmer and a bit more in the low mids. Very intrigued to know what he uses too now!...

[quote name='Mr Anthony' timestamp='1411328033' post='2558501']
Can somebody fill me in on what this is actually all about? These all look so nice. Are they custom builds, or made from parts? I'm confused!
[/quote]

Here: [url="http://www.classicandcoolguitars.co.uk/basses.htm"]http://www.classicandcoolguitars.co.uk/basses.htm[/url] although there appears to be no limelight basses there at present.

Well at best Mark, he only had a couple available pre built.
With the amount of commissions he will have had little time to do anything else, and the pre built he had are all on here, bought by BC'ers.
So guess at the moment he is just trying to keep up with commission builds :)

[quote name='bumnote' timestamp='1411227133' post='2557711']
Ready for action last night. Sounded great
[/quote]

Love the look of this one too! Only thing I'm not sold on with mine is the shade of the Burgundy Mist, and yours looks to be the same.

It's a lot more purple and darker than on vintage Fenders, and the CS models. Guy Pratt's looks quite a bit lighter for example...I wonder what paint Mark uses for these?

[quote name='eddiehoffmann' timestamp='1411392154' post='2559009']
Question: How thick are the headstocks on these basses? Are they thicker like modern Fenders or thinner like the real vintage ones? I know it's a minor thing but... I love my American special but it disturbs me when I look at the headstock and it's much thicker than on my older basses. Minor OCD I guess...
[/quote]

The headstock on mine's thin I guess, exactly the same length and width as the headstock on my 62 AVRI if that helps?

Question: How thick are the headstocks on these basses? Are they thicker like modern Fenders or thinner like the real vintage ones? I know it's a minor thing but... I love my American special but it disturbs me when I look at the headstock and it's much thicker than on my older basses. Minor OCD I guess...
[/quote]

The headstock on mine's thin I guess, exactly the same length and width as the headstock on my 62 AVRI if that helps?

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1411401455' post='2559153']
Love the look of this one too! Only thing I'm not sold on with mine is the shade of the Burgundy Mist, and yours looks to be the same.

It's a lot more purple and darker than on vintage Fenders, and the CS models. Guy Pratt's looks quite a bit lighter for example...I wonder what paint Mark uses for these?
[/quote]

I thought it a bit dark too but assumed the finish would change with age and this is period correct. If you look at the other care he has taken with other details, I would assume he has researched this and got it right.

Headstock is 17/32s on mine, or fractionally over half an inch in old money :P

Fender didn't always have the same shades of colour. Fiesta Red was one of the worst with at least 3 slightly different shades that I know of. Difficult for Mark to get them all absolutely exact.
Then of course, good old stage lighting................... :D

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1411415622' post='2559376']
Here's mine in action at yesterday's dep gig with a proper rock band (which isn't normally my thing, but it was mint fun). That neck pickup is a doozy.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th8rvu2X3S0[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mcbjhfTHRo[/media]
[/quote]
Well that sounds fantastic! Such a nice Jazz sound! Think if the P I plan on ordering is as amazing as I expect, then a Jazz will be joining it in the future!

[/quote]

I remember reading somewhere that the thinking behind the thicker modern headstocks is that the extra mass (along with the posiflex graphite support rods) decreases the likelihood of having dead spots on the fingerboard.

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1411416951' post='2559402']

I remember reading somewhere that the thinking behind the thicker modern headstocks is that the extra mass (along with the posiflex graphite support rods) decreases the likelihood of having dead spots on the fingerboard.
[/quote]

I know... I honestly can't fault my American Special. With the mods I did it's probably the best P Bass I ever had (hush hush). But I'm really shallow and just think the original looks with the thin headstock is sexier.

Just responding to being asked about soundclips, sorry I don't have the tools to record a soundclip but just come across this on Youtube giving my Limelight Precision a good running. The overall sound is far from great, assuming a video camera mic at best, and I know we all have excuses for our dodgy playing at times but i was genuinely dying with manflu at this gig...i looked like i'd been through a car wash by the end of it (plus i'm busking on Johnny B.Good :blush: ).

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF-AMr_FKDA"]http://www.youtube....h?v=YF-AMr_FKDA[/url]

Edited by Raslee

[quote name='sshorepunk' timestamp='1411489811' post='2560004']
liking these, I play a '64 fender CS heavy relic, great bass, could do with a back up though, very heavy relived sonic blue, matching headstock, '64!
Someone please PM me and tie me a ball park price for these

Cheers

Tony
[/quote]
£795 is the basic price, not sure what increases the price and by how much, your best bet is emailing Mark, which you can do direct from his website! He's usually very speedy at replies!