Why become a member? ×

The 'Show us your Limelight!' thread

wateroftyne

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1414356376' post='2588633']
Anybody got a Limelight that's not been aged?
[/quote]

+1

I've just enquired about a very very lightly aged Jazz so it would be good to see a virgin Limelight before it gets the relic treatment.

[quote name='Mattmit' timestamp='1414361315' post='2588694']

You're not the first person to say that! First was me, then another bass chatter.

I got a pantone code for a shade of orange I liked and Mark made it for me. Not sure if there's a name but Capri is close enough.
[/quote]

Doubt it will be the last time either chap!

I seem to be getting closer and closer to ordering one of these (although I have seen something else that has created a slight stumbling block).

A question for those with maple-necked Limelight P basses who have experience of genuine '70s (particularly early '70s) Ps; how convincing is the feel and ageing of the neck? All the rosewood board basses look fab (particularly with my preferred clay-type dots), but I can't quite tell how convincing the maples are from the pics.

My Korean Squier has a rosewood neck and I have a bit of a thing for early 70s Ps with maple necks so would probably be going with one of those (probably in sonic blue), but I don't want to find that the neck is unconvincing and a bit [i]too[/i] "fake". I also don't like [i]all[/i] the finish worn off, although I'm sure that's something I could specify.

Edited by 4000

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1408654454' post='2532333']
There's a bit of demand for this, so I thought I might as well kick it off. C'mon you Limelighters... get involved!

[i]([b]Note:[/b] If the 'F' logos upset you, I respectfully ask that you start your own thread, or write a strongly-worded letter to the Daily Mail.)[/i]

Here's my '63 relic:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6np-PCYITrw[/media]

Full story here:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/239185-nbd-limelight-63-jazz-medium-relic"]http://basschat.co.u...zz-medium-relic[/url]
[/quote]

Have to say that although I don't get on with Jazzes this is possibly my favourite Limelight so far...

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1414779481' post='2593270']
I seem to be getting closer and closer to ordering one of these (although I have seen something else that has created a slight stumbling block).

A question for those with maple-necked Limelight P basses who have experience of genuine '70s (particularly early '70s) Ps; how convincing is the feel and ageing of the neck? All the rosewood board basses look fab (particularly with my preferred clay-type dots), but I can't quite tell how convincing the maples are from the pics.

[/quote]

Anyone?

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1414938894' post='2594832']
Anyone?
[/quote]

I recently played a Limelight P
And although I usually prefer the slimmer-necked P basses these days
I did like the neck on the P bass I tried - even though it was more like the older, chunkier P neck profile

In terms of the finish / ageing of the neck,
it looked great, and felt superb!

The body was a tad over-reliced for my tastes,
but that's just my taste / opinion
and I must say, I was really taken with the feel and look of the bass
.... Now I have GAS for a limelight! groan

Let us know what you decide
Marc

PS. You could try asking some of the members who have posted on the Limelight threads,
what their opinions are?

I need advice!
I'm ordering 2 basses from mark , one is a 64 jazz in candy apple red with matching headstock with light relicing, the other is a 61 stacked knob jazz in sunburst with heavy relicing (like bobby vega one)
Which one should I order first?? :)

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1414938894' post='2594832']
Anyone?
[/quote]

Sorry, can't help but I prefer maple boards as well. But the rosewood boarded jazz neck on my 63 is superb.
Just have a chat with Mark and tell him what you are after, you are unlikely to be disappointed.
Good luck,
Karl.

[quote name='dudi8' timestamp='1415088660' post='2596441']
I need advice!
I'm ordering 2 basses from mark , one is a 64 jazz in candy apple red with matching headstock with light relicing, the other is a 61 stacked knob jazz in sunburst with heavy relicing (like bobby vega one)
[/quote]

I don't think Mark's able to offer sunburst finishes on his basses, so that may affect your second choice...I have one of his 64 JBs though and it's excellent, so I would suggest that you get your CAR 64 order in post haste! ;-)

[quote name='dudi8' timestamp='1415088660' post='2596441']
I need advice!
[/quote]

Get the lightly relic'd one first so I can see how it looks :)

Thanks for the advices!
he does makes the 3-tone sunberst, I've talked to him, and about pics i sent him the pics of both basses, so the candy apple red will be a little bit less than jaco type of relicing , and the 61 jazz will be heavy relicing like the bobby vega one

[quote name='dudi8' timestamp='1415098306' post='2596567']
actually your green one is one of my inspirations for the relicing :)
[/quote]

Aw, shucks :blush:

To be honest, it's the colour I've always wanted but never been able to afford, until Mark and Limelight.
Enjoy yours, the wait will be worth it.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1415105669' post='2596680']
Aw, shucks :blush:

To be honest, it's the colour I've always wanted but never been able to afford, until Mark and Limelight.
Enjoy yours, the wait will be worth it.
[/quote]

because its not such a long time to wait, compared to other bass makers (won't specify names :) )
its harder than usual!!

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1415089861' post='2596448']
Sorry, can't help but I prefer maple boards as well. But the rosewood boarded jazz neck on my 63 is superb.
Just have a chat with Mark and tell him what you are after, you are unlikely to be disappointed.
Good luck,
Karl.
[/quote]

I like both to be honest, but my Squier is rosewood and I do have a thing for those 70s maples. I've been in touch with Mark, just want to make sure I'm certain before I put any money down.