Why become a member? ×

The 'Show us your Limelight!' thread

wateroftyne

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1419095245' post='2636539']
I thought I really wanted a sunburst or LPB 66 P, very lightly relic'd and only tarnished chrome-wear. But I've just seen this on Mark's website.

I'll let it speak for itself.

http://classicandcoolguitars.co.uk/basses/limelight00142shellpink.htm
[/quote]

That's awesome. My Jap Fender P is shell pink/rosewood/tort and I get random punters remarking how cool it looks most gigs!

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1419095245' post='2636539']
I thought I really wanted a sunburst or LPB 66 P, very lightly relic'd and only tarnished chrome-wear. But I've just seen this on Mark's website.

I'll let it speak for itself.

http://classicandcoolguitars.co.uk/basses/limelight00142shellpink.htm
[/quote]

Yeah I saw that last night. Made me have a good long think if I could rock shell pink.....

Edited by Dazed

£200 more than usual though - ouch.

They're probably the best looking aged fenders I've seen but if you look at what you're paying for; the parts are probably £500 if you were to buy them yourself - I can almost swallow paying £265 for someone to relic it given the time & attention to detail, but almost doubling that? That would be more difficult - I'm sure someone will snap it up though, they are very popular around these parts.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1419191078' post='2637452']

They're probably the best looking aged fenders I've seen but if you look at what you're paying for; the parts are probably £500 if you were to buy them yourself - I can almost swallow paying £265 for someone to relic it given the time & attention to detail, but almost doubling that? That would be more difficult - I'm sure someone will snap it up though, they are very popular around these parts.
[/quote]

To be fair, a Fender production-line equivalent is probably £100 more than that.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1419191504' post='2637457']
To be fair, a Fender production-line equivalent is probably £100 more than that.
[/quote]

+1. I'm sure it's hard to appreciate just how much work goes into these basses. Where do you source a period rolled-edge, slab-board clay-dot neck, for example? Or do you make it? Where do the pickups come from? Why do these basses sound so good? It's not all about the relic job and it's not necessarily obvious what you're paying for. However you spec your Limelight, you are getting value for money.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1419191078' post='2637452']

[/quote]

The parts might be £500. But the time and expertise for the relicing, the pickups (which are much better than a cheap Mexican Fender set!), the freedom to specify a custom colour and (in my case) put a jazz neck on a precision body, is just something that Fender don't offer. At all. So it's relevant how much Fender *would* charge. They don't. A hypothetical option is not a viable option.

Also, I would say about 400-500 Fender basses have passed through my hands working in a music store and I have not seen any (including mex, US, Deluxe, Selects, AV and Custom Shop!) that I prefer to my Limelight. It's absolutely stunning and if anything, worth MORE money than Mark charges for them. There's something about mine that I've never found in anything else. Just superb!

All good points, I was just putting an opinion across that he's valuing his time at over (assuming he buys in bulk) £465 - I have no idea how many man hours it takes to do a relic, but I'd be interested to know... Especially as I'd be up for buying a mighty mite neck P neck that he's reliced to put on my jazz!

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1419200077' post='2637596']
All good points, I was just putting an opinion across that he's valuing his time at over (assuming he buys in bulk) £465 - I have no idea how many man hours it takes to do a relic, but I'd be interested to know... Especially as I'd be up for buying a mighty mite neck P neck that he's reliced to put on my jazz!
[/quote]

Allparts, not Mighty Mite, I believe.

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1419201309' post='2637617']
I've had a Mighty Mite neck (fitted to the last Affinity I had through my hands), rod access at the neck end and wood quality on the lower end of the scale. Definitely different to the neck on my LL which has better fretwork, a slab board and clay dots.
[/quote]

The Allparts necks have "ALLPARTS LIC. BY FENDER" stamped on the base. When I've had mine off it just has a date written in pen. Not sure how he'd get the clay dots in either? The Allparts neck don't have clay dots.

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1419104529' post='2636678']
Yeah I saw that last night. Made me have a good long think if I could rock shell pink.....

[/quote]

I think this must be the best looking bass I have ever seen!
Wow! just Wow! :)