Why become a member? ×

Teaching and Cancellation Charges

allighatt0r

This may be in the wrong section, but I thought I would post here and I can always be moved by a mod perhaps.

I want to start a discussion on the subject of lesson cancellations and charges from tutors. Main reason for asking is my girlfriend has begun teaching (not bass, another instrument) and her lessons are starting to pick up in popularity. She's starting to get a decent number of students on the go. However, she doesn't have a solid cancellations policy written out with regards to whether her students pay for a lesson that they arrange and then cancel.

We both think that asking the student to pay the full amount if the lesson is cancelled less than 24 hours in advance is reasonable, but beyond that, how would you handle it? She relies heavily on the income from her lessons, so she has considered asking for half the amount if the lesson is cancelled within 5 days of the appointment, but I get the feeling this could put some people's noses out of joint.

What do you think?

Fully support cancellation charges as it re-enforces committment although how much you charge with how much notice
is the key. I guess I would go with half rate within 24 hrs. And I'd probably be strict with a student if they made a habit
of it.

I also have a strict cancellation policy that is clearly outlined when a student joins my 'school'. It is a 24hr policy, which is very fair and I ask the complete lesson rate to be covered as it is very difficult in this part of the world to get someone in that slot within 24 hours. My students accept this and I've never had any problems. On the flipside, I always go above and beyond what is expected of me and thus I hope to ensure that my students get great value for money.

I'd think 24 hours should be a minimum because it would be difficult to fill a cancelled slot at such short notice so the teacher would lose money. 5 days might be perceived as too long by students. It should focus their minds on their commitment but gives more time for something really unexpected to crop up.

If it was me, I'd probably not bother with a formal policy and just play it by ear. If a regular student canceled for a really good reason then I'd go with it. If they didn't have a really good reason or ever did it again I would never give them another lesson unless they paid a week in advance. But that's easy for me to say because the chance of anyone paying me for a lesson is pretty much zero :lol:

I think there has to be some give and take, but not too much. I think a cancellation charge 24 hours in advance is fair enough, but
anything more than that is pushing it. 5 days? That's far too much I think.A lot can happen in that time, including the teacher getting a gig or 2 and having to cancel themselves-That's also the reason I don't charge weeks in advance.I also find it easier to keep track of the money to lesson ratio if it's paid per lesson, but that's just me.

I think having a policy is ok in theory, but in practice taking/getting money off someone for a lesson they didn't have is another matter.

You also need to be a bit flexible. One guy I teach recently cancelled due to his father dying another broke his finger playing cricket.

You'll just get people coming up with valid sounding excuses, are you going to ask for proof though ?

I personally ask that they give me a reasonable period of notice, I wouldn't ask for money for a lesson they didn't have, for the reason above. I always try and give value for money, a guy I teach is totally new to bass, his first lesson a few weeks ago lasted almost 2 hours, though I only asked for payment for 1. It's a service that I enjoy doing.

I think a bit of flexibility and give and take is called for , as long as the "Take isn't "Piss taking".

My wife is a piano and Sax teacher. For new pupils, or ones who just forget, then she tend to charge the full amount. For someone she's been teaching for a year or so, or who is genuinely ill, then she'll waive it. If you're too soft people will take the piss, if you're too rigid then you'll disenchant and lose your pupils. Getting the balance right depends on you and your relationship with the individuals.

I am having singing lessons at the moment. My teacher knows that sometimes I can't get away from work on time, so I have the last lesson of the day. That way if I can't make it she's not twiddling her thumbs, but can go home. On the other hand there have been occasions when I've got home and had some sort of crisis, and had to cancel with only an hour or so's notice, and I insist on paying her anyway.

Why not ask them the first time they come to bring two lessons worth of money the next (2nd) time. So then the next (2nd) time they come it's already paid for, but they also leave the money for one lesson in advance. If they don;t come on the time given for their 3rd lesson, youcould chose to let it roll till next time, or you could play the hardball and say 'tuff, you're fault for not turning up' etc etc. always keep only one lesson in front....not a fortune I'm sure, but enough for
A - you to know that you are paid for, and commited to the next lesson
B - They know they have paid and commited to coming...or they lose their money.

My cello teacher had a less than 24hr - full fee - cancellation policy.

She also understood that sometimes things happen and you can't give that much notice so she was prepared to let the odd occasion slide.

Like others say. If you have the policy in place then you can decide on a case by case basis whether you are going to enforce it.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1407752277' post='2523517']
I also have a strict cancellation policy that is clearly outlined when a student joins my 'school'. It is a 24hr policy, which is very fair and I ask the complete lesson rate to be covered as it is very difficult in this part of the world to get someone in that slot within 24 hours. My students accept this and I've never had any problems. On the flipside, I always go above and beyond what is expected of me and thus I hope to ensure that my students get great value for money.
[/quote]

+1. The only slight difference is that I also have a 3 times in 3 months rule too. If a student cancels within 24hrs more than three times in three months, I can choose to stop lessons with them and give the slot to someone willing. It hasn't happened yet as most of my students are great and reliable :-)

Last year I was having quite a few issues with late cancellations from students and no solid way of dealing with it.

About 6 months ago I made up some payment details sheets which they all get at their first lesson. I give all new students a free lesson to get to know me. I now book everyone in four lesson blocks, paid up front (and offer them a 10% discount for doing this) and if cancelled within 48 hours they pay in full - although as it's paid up front there isn't the awkwardness of chasing money for a lesson that didn't happen.

All the students/parents are fine with it and it has reduced my cancellations a lot!

That said, with the guys I've been teaching for a long while I sometimes waive it a bit and I find generally if you don't mess them around (or give them plenty of notice if you are going to) it seems to work pretty well both ways!

My policy is within 24 hours full fee is payable, and at my discretion.
Beyond that I don't believe it's fair or right to charge.

By way of background- I'm teaching full time, both privately and in school, and have been for over ten years now and in that time, I've not been left in the crap by anyone. I believe that I should treat others as I would expect to be treated.

I have been attending weekly lessons for almost 5 years. If my tutor had a cancellation fee system I would have to go to someone who didn't. My job means I can have rest days cancelled at less than 24hrs notice. It's rare that I cancel but sometimes I have to reschedule. I have also had the tutor cancel. We all have lives to lead which can throw up unexpected surprises. Whilst I can understand why a tutor would want a cancellation policy I think it's better to have a good tutor/student relationship. If someone consistently cancelled then I'd suggest the tutor refused to accept further bookings.

I teach Sax and flute, and offer a choice of a either my full hourly rate for Ad Hoc lessons (48 hour cancellation policy or full fee payable), and I also offer reduced flat fee monthly payment system to secure their same weekly slot (based on 46 weeks per year for weekly students and pro-rata for fortnightly students - to cover hols/sickness etc). It's non-refundable if they don't turn up, but I do my best to reschedule provided I get 24 hours notice if they can't make their usual slot - most of them opt for the monthly flat fee option.

I refund for lessons if ever I have to cancel. I invoice them at the end of each month and the fee is due on their first lesson of the month. It works really well - before people used to not turn up/cancel left right and centre and I felt like giving up!, I now have a steady income. B)

Edited by SaxyBassist