Why become a member? ×

Grolsch

Leon Transaxle

Trying to find some Grolsch bottles for strap locks (and drinking) but having a devil of a job finding any.
Anyone out there seen the stuff in stock in either the Norwich or Hereford area (yes I know it's a weird combination)?
I've tried several major supermarkets. Some have it on line but have been unable to find any in store.

Not directly answering your question, but when I did manage to get some Grolsch washers, I found them to be disappointingly plasticky and not at all rubbery like they used to be.
A quick search in EBay for Home Brew bottle washers, or a trip to a home brew shop should yield more satisfactory results.

If you wanted to be fancy about it, pop down a music shop and get some Fender Strap Blocks.They're exactly the same but
have Fender embossed on them. You can get them in black too, which I think looks better than the red.

You can get them on eBay, just search for grolsch bottle washers.

My local still sells Grolsch by the bottle, trouble is the washers these days are kind of plasticky, not like (but not totally unlike) the good old rubbery feel of old. They still do the job though, I've got a couple on my day-to-day bass.

Happy to go drinking some if you want some sent on.

C'mon folks! A little bit more of the famed community spirit, please!
No?

OK, I'll volunteer then:
If anyone sends me a case of Grolsch, I'll do what's necessary and send Leon his washers Free Of Charge!

Must say though it's a real shame a bloody foreigner had to volunteer for what you easily could've managed yourselves. :angry:

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1407353398' post='2519777']
You can get them on eBay, just search for grolsch bottle washers.[/quote]

This is what I did. I've used them exclusively since around 1996. And yes, the newer ones are more plastic-y and not so good.

Black ones here, £5 for 20! :)

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-x-new-BLACK-Washers-for-Swing-Top-Grolsch-Bottle-homebrew-washers-/281406233105?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Food_SM&hash=item41851e5a11#ht_308wt_1186"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-x-new-BLACK-Washers-for-Swing-Top-Grolsch-Bottle-homebrew-washers-/281406233105?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Food_SM&hash=item41851e5a11#ht_308wt_1186[/url]

[quote name='julietgreen' timestamp='1407417724' post='2520286']
Is anyone prepared to post a photo of their grolsch bottle washer straplocks in situ?
[/quote]

As long as you don't mind a bit of blur, these two were readily available on this pc...

(First one was my wedding day, hence the point of focus)

Hi
Thanks for the suggestions.
I do have a set of the Fender rubberstrap locks but thought it would be more Rock n Roll by drinking beer for some moe.
Didn't think there would be a trade for Grolsch washers on EBay, but then I suppose there is a market for everything.
Ten for three quid seems a good deal.

Is anyone prepared to post a photo of their grolsch bottle washer straplocks in situ?
[/quote]

[attachment=168828:grolsch.jpg]

Following on from toneknob, here's mine in, um, action. I've been using them so long I don't even think about them anymore.

[/quote]
In use
[IMG]http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/kk344/ezbass/3c9f3c51b453aba1d7d2c9c7b3849f27_zps37d6a78d.jpg[/IMG]

At rest
[IMG]http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/kk344/ezbass/B942685D-6F1D-489E-88B5-40806CDD7D5B-2377-000001F3252D00F4.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1407757905' post='2523596']
Grolsch was the cheap beer that you'd get at the supermarket, about 2/3 the price of say [size=4]Heineken.[/size]
[/quote]

Are you sure? I'm Dutch and I can't remember Grolsch ever having been anything else than a well-respected quality brand with pricing as to be expected. Mind you, they did have several different qualities, so maybe one of them was a budget beer that I don't know of.

The gist of your story does fit very well with what happened with Stella Artois though, which in the beginning of the seventies at least (don't know how long it lasted) was a budget brand (the cheapest brand our Albert Heijn supermarked sold back then), before at some point (during the eighties I think) they rebranded themselves as a premium brand that was "reassuringly expensive".

Well well ... "reassuringly plasticky" it is for Grolsch then. :)

Well, I couldn't swear to the details as it was 35 or so years ago (Yikes!), but it was definitely Grolsch and it was definitely cheaper than Heineken at the time. However I didn't realise that Grolsch made different grades, so it may be that I was comparing one of their cheaper ones. Even if it was one of the cheaper ones it was still one of my favourites at the time, so no disrespect for Grolsch here (except that I'll stick with a 'proper' straplock).

I also recall that trip because we got to try real 'live' Heineken in their Amsterdam brewery (since closed I believe), which was a real eye opener after the fizzy pop we got (and still get) over here.