Why become a member? ×

to finger or not

christhammer666

Finger player here. I lean towards finger playing mainly because I have an incredibly weak grip. So I tend to drop off picks on the middle of the song. But I'm still persevering though as I find it easier to play some songs using a pick. And mainly because I try to copy Bobby Vega style. :lol:

So yeah. Just give it a try. Another technique in the bag. :)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1407400558' post='2520062']
Based on the evidence here, it appears that going from pick to fingers is easier than the other way around.
[/quote]

I certainly found it very easy to go from a pic to fingers and am pleased to be able to do both. *Smug git*

I honestly can't recall whether I had a pick from the off or started with fingers and then started experimenting. I certainly don't recall a concious 'switching' point so I'm guessing I played around with both from the start and as I've never had a lesson there were no impositions of what was 'right' from an instructor. I'm equally bang average with either! I suppose if I do have a knack its that I have a pretty good gut feeling about which approach will suit which song the best and swap back and forth during a gig as fits.

I rarely play with a pick, but I've never had a problem using one if I've had to-I play guitar with a pick anyway.
The reason I prefer to teach finger style is I think that it's easier to go from fingers to pick than the other way around.There are
some things that I think are more challenging with a pick, like playing wide intervals, but generally I think that fingerstyle is more difficult to get to grips with, especially if you start moving towards Willis/Garrison/Erskine techniques.

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1407356648' post='2519825']
Have they said why? Not that I'm sayjng they're wrong, I have no idea what the best teaching methods are so that could be entirely normal procedure, I'm just curious.
[/quote]
[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1407399485' post='2520051']
Like ern500evo, I too would be interested to hear the reasoning/logic behind such insistance.
[/quote]

No reasons where given, however, the second instructor (and best player / teacher) is a professional DB player in a Louis Prima style band so I guess a pick was never his thing?

[quote name='MikanHannille' timestamp='1407409552' post='2520166']
Finger player here. I lean towards finger playing mainly because I have an incredibly weak grip. So I tend to drop off picks on the middle of the song. But I'm still persevering though as I find it easier to play some songs using a pick. And mainly because I try to copy Bobby Vega style. :lol:

So yeah. Just give it a try. Another technique in the bag. :)
[/quote] Another reason I don't play with a pick. I'm actually left handed but I can't play a left handed bass for the life of me, unfortunately that means my weakest hand is the one holding the pick & I spend more time dropping it than I do using it lol

There are a few songs in our set that benefit from using a pick - Sanctuary and Vertigo stand out. You can get close to pick attack with finger but it's always lacking a bit.

Watching Adam 'Nolly' Getgood out of periphery is an object less in versatility - awesome pick work switching to two-hand tapping and back in the blink of a blinky thing. Certainly beyond my ability but a level of familiarity with the instrument that is inspiring. Google the 'headstock' cam of him playing "Make Total Destroy"...

Can't slap at all, really and I'm not that bothered.
Can't tap that great either.

But with one thumb and four fingers available to pluck, thumb and whatever else on what is never more than five strings I don't think Ive really needed to use a pick as I just dig in harder with the fingers or pluck in different places on the strings or slap them against the board with my fingers (Harris-esque) for a different sound.

Can't get used to picking really, I like to fingerpick while chording a lot and just can't get it fast enough with a pick. I could practice more I suppose but it sounds great as it is and it's like second nature with fingers and thumb.

[quote name='Pixiechick23' timestamp='1407494915' post='2521081']
Another reason I don't play with a pick. I'm actually left handed but I can't play a left handed bass for the life of me, unfortunately that means my weakest hand is the one holding the pick & I spend more time dropping it than I do using it lol
[/quote]

I can really relate to this. I think this is the reason I can't play with a pick.

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1408180552' post='2527817']
Anyone tried growing their nails, so that fingers sound like picks ? Doesn't work very well for me, I cant get the same or even similar sound from each finger.
[/quote]

Tried it once, found that I started laughing at myself at how bad it sounded.

I've just started learning to use a pick after 4 years of just using my fingers. I find it really limiting in all honesty. It's harder for me to do any form of subtle playing with a pick. Luckily I would only be using it in metal.

Nails short so they don't snag... and I am not sure the attack argument is that valid ..but sure, if you want a
really agressive pick sound, go for the pick.
I don't gravitate towards a pick style as it doesn't do much for me...Bobby Vega excepted, of course, but it really depends
on your influences. You wont get a funk gig playing pick, and you wont get a metal gig with fingers.
I know there are a few exceptions, of course, but try it at auditions..

[quote name='Iain' timestamp='1407513722' post='2521391']Watching Adam 'Nolly' Getgood out of periphery is an object less in versatility - awesome pick work switching to two-hand tapping and back in the blink of a blinky thing. Certainly beyond my ability but a level of familiarity with the instrument that is inspiring. Google the 'headstock' cam of him playing "Make Total Destroy"...
[/quote]

I certainly admire his ability to be able to work out where in the song he is in that as I certainly couldn't pick it out.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1408269596' post='2528415']
They have metal in their name though, lol
[/quote]

That is true... my more metally friends laugh at them but I question their tastes anyway... :lol:
.. more like Queen and the other caberet bands..

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1408267338' post='2528392']
You wont get a funk gig playing pick, and you wont get a metal gig with fingers.
I know there are a few exceptions, of course, but try it at auditions..
[/quote]
I think that's pretty irrelevant, to be honest. Sure, there are more metal players who use fingers than there are
funk players who use a pick but as long as the job gets done then nobody cares...unless they are mostly posers, in
which case your technique is probably as important as your hair.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1408289782' post='2528650']
I think that's pretty irrelevant, to be honest. Sure, there are more metal players who use fingers than there are funk players who use a pick but as long as the job gets done then nobody cares...unless they are mostly posers, in
which case your technique is probably as important as your hair.
[/quote]

Agree - there are plenty of funk players who play with a pick and metallers who play with fingers, it's not set in stone.
Actually my hair becomes more important in proportion to how quickly it disappears. How ironic.