Why become a member? ×

Opinion on 6x10 cabs?

noooooob

Im looking to get a 6x10 cab, I'm really nearly set on the Ashdown ABM 610. Anybody have one or have spent a decent amount of time with one? The price point is the most attractive thing about it to be honest, does it sound a lot poorer than other 6x10's?

Edited by noooooob

Can't help with this particular cab, but just thought I'd check... Have you had a search around in the 'Amps and Cabs For Sale' section of the forum..? I believe there's at least a couple of 6x10's, and even 8x10's that are lower cost than the price I've seen for the Ashdown. Worth a look, or not interested in a 'pre-loved' cab..? Just a thought.

I think they are a good compromise between a four and an eight. Don't think you'll be disappointed if you're OK with hauling it about. :)

Edit: I rocked two ABM 410s for a while and they were totally immense. Just got bored with hauling them.

Edited by discreet

I'd love one if I did enough gigs that justified the expense.
I had thought about an older SWR Goliath snr but
thought better against it as they are too old.
My compromise is 2x120 or 212 plus 1x210.

Stangely enough, I think a tilt back wheeled 610 would be way more manageable than
a 212 or 410 on castors.

Not a fan of Ashdown 810's that I've used but they may have been tired old units and I think
there are better cabs than Ampegs around...but you may have trouble finding many who make
610's....
If Aguilar made a DB610, I'd have one.

i love 6x10s i havent tried the ashdowns though and generally im not keen on their cabs, but there are exceptions. i would expect the abm to be a good cab though.
the SWR is a great cab but replacements parts are a pain to get hold of.
if i didnt have my barefaced i would definately have a 6x10 of some kind as i love the portability/size/sound ratio
the only one i found lacking that i tried was the warwick one, it just sounded wrong to me.
i agree with JTUK if aguilar made one i would be all over it.

I replaced an Ampeg 410/15 setup with the 610 and much preferred it. Also found it much easier to move, on level ground at least, thanks to the tilt-back wheels and big handle. Definite two man job if any lifting is involved, although the height makes tipping it into a van or car single handedly possible. Most of the bass gigs I'm doing now are function gigs with good PA reinforcement so probably going to move it on for something smaller but love the sound and the look of it. Used it with an SVT-3 and a Genz Shuttle 6 for anything from balls-out rock to americana/alt-country and always did the job. Haven't used the Ashdown 610 but did borrow the ABM810 and ABM900 EVO3 for a couple of gigs and it was one of the best sounds I've ever had so if it's in the same ballpark I'm sure you'll love it!

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1407058357' post='2516901'] I had an Ampeg 610, but was mighty disappointed. I thought it would be a good compromise instead of an 810, but it was the most unmusical cab. Just sounded flat
[/quote]

thats interesting! i had the total opposite experiance with the ampeg, its def not a baby 810 it sounds a lot different for me it had alot of lows! and for me the tweeter was pointless!

i eventually went for the ashdown mag 810 and cant speak highly enough of it! its got a big fat sound nice mid presence and it very easy to move around!

so can only imagine a abm 610 being awesome!

andy

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1407075376' post='2517042']
On the occasions where I want a 6x10 setup I usually cheat and use a 2x10 sat on top of a 4x10.

Far easier to transport that way. :)
[/quote]

Yep! I used a 2x10 + 4x10 rig for a while and it was a great setup, as well as being easier to navigate doors and stairs!!

Edited by chrismuzz

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1407089306' post='2517236']
Yep! I used a 2x10 + 4x10 rig for a while and it was a great setup, as well as being easier to navigate doors and stairs!!
[/quote]

Same here, had that configuration a couple of times and both sounded great. Plus, you can "only" use the 410 for rehearsals, and just bring out the extra 210 for gigs.

Yes, the ABM 610 is good. I just got my second ABM 610 and they are built like a SVT ; each pair of speakers is divided from the other pairs in a sealed enclosure. Damping on the low notes is tight. Another good sealed 610 is a Mesa Boogie (about $1200 in the States).

I've recently gone from the 2 x 410 to a 610, all SWR. The reason was the same as discreet, I got tired of hauling the two 410's. The reason for going to the 610 was I wanted a single 4 ohm cab, that I'd still hear on a stage dominated by two 412/100w equipped guitarists.

Yes, its a heavy cab, but with the tilt back wheels its easier to move around than the two 410's on the flat. I can lift it myself in/out of the car when needed, and its reduced the number of trips to/from the van/car too.

Sound-wise, on bigger stages I really can't tell the difference between the Snr and the two Golly setup. On smaller stages and at lower volumes you can sense that the cab is idling, wanting to give more than your asking for, but it still sounds tight. The spare parts issue does bother me, but when I blew two drivers in one of my Golly's I replaced all four with Eminence Deltalite II's and the cab took on a whole new personality with much more bottom end and a lovely creamy upper mid range projection, so if the same happens in the Snr then I'll probably go down the same route albeit at 5.33 ohms.

I haven't used the ABM but I've been using an Ashdown CL610 for a few months and it's a great sounding cab.
One of the plus points for me was the size. I'd had enough of hauling an Ampeg 810 around and 410s have always seemed a bit too small to be able to hear properly. Although that might just be me.
Plus it has Neo speakers do it's pretty light too.

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1407070916' post='2517006']
thats interesting! i had the total opposite experiance with the ampeg, its def not a baby 810 it sounds a lot different for me it had alot of lows! and for me the tweeter was pointless!

i eventually went for the ashdown mag 810 and cant speak highly enough of it! its got a big fat sound nice mid presence and it very easy to move around!

so can only imagine a abm 610 being awesome!

andy
[/quote] i also always use it without the tweeter (it is crap)
great cab for dirt and rock music