Why become a member? ×

Loud guitarist under control - at last!

Skinnyman

One of our guitarists insists on playing at full volume ALL the time. He reins it back at sound check and then whacks it up to 11 as soon as we start. Threats of physical pain, abuse and pleas to his better nature have all fallen on deaf ears (sic). We've taken his amp away and DI'd him straight into the mixer - he just turns up the gain and cranks up his monitor. It's got to the stage where I have to wear ear defenders to try and protect what's left of my hearing.

Until now.

Last week we got him a set of wireless in-ear monitors which he loves. He can have them as loud as he likes while we can mix him into the stage monitors at a reasonable level. Two blissful gigs done since.

Sorted.

Sounds a bit like the singer/guitarist in my sisters old band. He used to turn his amps up and turn theirs down so you couldn't hear her playing piano, my voice was drowned out completely [wasn't actually in the band, just did backing vocals occasionally] and there was no bloody point having a bass player, you couldn't hear him!
At least problem is solved with your guitarist though :) Hers just got comeuppance when he went too loud and blew his amp mid gig. Divvy.

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1406880535' post='2515484']
I dont understand people wanting to turn up louder than everybody else, surely they realise that doing so will create an terrible mix?
[/quote]
I put it down to a combination of ego and ignorance. Ego in terms of they think they are the main attraction and ignorance in terms of not understanding or wanting to understand the balance of sound as well as thinking somehow everyone else will be fine.

All band members in my view should have some appreciation of the basics of PA and mixing. In my small experience they want to remain ignorant because when you try to explain you can see the shutters coming down and yet they expect miracles like its as perfect as when I'm playing at home on my own with the backing track.

<mutter> must go and see the nurse now...

[quote name='vsmith1' timestamp='1406881296' post='2515494']

I put it down to a combination of ego and ignorance. Ego in terms of they think they are the main attraction and ignorance in terms of not understanding or wanting to understand the balance of sound as well as thinking somehow everyone else will be fine.

All band members in my view should have some appreciation of the basics of PA and mixing. In my small experience they want to remain ignorant because when you try to explain you can see the shutters coming down and yet they expect miracles like its as perfect as when I'm playing at home on my own with the backing track.
[/quote]

What he just said.

I run the sound as well as bass duties and I've lost count of the number of times that someone has nearly had a guitar or mic stand firmly planted where the sun don't shine, watching me stomp off with the words "well do it your 'kin self then...." Ringing in their ears.

I like the one-handed signal attenuator posted earlier in this thread too

Our 2nd guitar, Vincent, is quite the opposite. Playing 'rhythm', he's fine, but as soon as he has a solo section to do, or a melody line, he becomes inaudible. He has a Marshall 1/2 stack, and we don't play/rehearse particularly loud, but he has the knack of being afraid of being heard (not only timid, rather unsure of his playing...). It's not new (we've been playing together for a decade or so...) and he's the continual butt of our brand of 'humour'; one day he'll surprise us all with a rip-roaring rendering of 'Highway to Hell', but I doubt if it will be this week..! :rolleyes:[size=4] [/size]

I have a slight variation on this, last night I was about a foot away from our hard hitting drummer's kit and it was still drowned out by the harmonica player! A couple of months ago he bought a modded Fender Bassman combo (ex Yardbirds, supposedly) and can probably be heard at least two counties away.

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1406901212' post='2515771']
There is also the issue of peoples level of hearing being different from others so they not be turning up on purpose. The guitarist may have inferior hearing to the frequency he plays at
[/quote]

Indeed, and the more you turn up, the worse your hearing at those frequencies tends to get.

Protect your ears please! for you and everyone else.
Get them tested regularly, especially if you play loud and/or very often.

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1406880535' post='2515484']
I dont understand people wanting to turn up louder than everybody else, surely they realise that doing so will create an terrible mix?
[/quote]

I don`t think this enters their brain. I reckon it`s all down to being annoyed at being "Number 2". No matter how good their playing, people will always seek out the singer, and the ego of some guitarists can`t take this. It`s a "hey, look at me instead" plea, in my view.

has anybody experienced a guitarer who has had their hearing damaged in that frequncy range by long term exposure to high sound levels?

our old guitarist we suspect might have been a wee bit in this category , as he understood perfectly well about getting a good overall mix and sound balance but his guitar was always way over the the top