Why become a member? ×

Buying an old bass, heart vs head

throwoff

Not that I have the money really but I have been GASing for something old recently.

I have seen in my lookings a 1979 Stingray 4 and a trio of 78 P basses.

Now I am a P bass man through and through but I can't help but think that if I do go a bit mad and pull the trigger the Stingray is a more sensible choice.

It is a pre-Ernie Ball, better nick, around the same money....

The Fenders are all what I love in terms of looks but really are all CBS Fenders and probably would not increase in value that much, the Stingray on the other hand could appreciate a fair bit.

I would be buying to play it and use it in the studio so the Stingray also ticks a box there for the versatile sounds but I have got the money thing in the back of my head and want to know I will always make me money back.

Hahah, I bloody wish I could!

I'd buy all 4 tomorrow if money was no object.

I know we all say time and time again you shouldn't buy as an investment but I am not the richest man in the world and a lot of my picking is 'can it make it's money back'

God knows I would never have paid full whack for my USA P bass, despite the fact it is hands down the best instrument I have ever played I wouldn't have been able to justify losing 4/500 quid just walking out the shop!

Good old staff purchase scheme saved me there!

If you can afford it, get the one you really like. Otherwise you'll end up playing one thinking about the other...

Appreciation and depreciation is not really a concern IMO, unless you're buying and selling them for a living

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1404727557' post='2495029']
Buy the stringray and think of it as the reason you're giving up smoking. No money on cigarettes, lots of money for gear :)
[/quote]

Good plan and one that I certainly went along with. :)

Stingrays are not very popular this year it seems, although the pre-EBs are hyped a bit.
Work the price down as much as you can, and make sure you won't HAVE to sell at an inconvenient time.
As long as you don't enter the modding swamp it should be solid. Also, lovely things to hear and play :)

Without wishing to start a row ( but I almost certainly will...) , I really don't think a '78 P Bass is an instrument worth stretching yourself financially in order to own. The kind of money I see a lot of Fenders from that era going for ( especially in vintage guitar shops ) is a joke, quite frankly. Yes, there were some good ones made back then ( if anyone has one then I am genuinely pleased for them ) , but most were dogs , and even the good ones are not what I would call an in-the-region-of- over £1500 + bass in terms of sound, playability or construction. In light of that , the Stingray is a better bet, providing you like Stingrays.

With both basses though, a lot depends on the price in regards of whether either represents a good investment.

Depending on what you pay for a 78 Precision - I`d say between £1000 & £1400 depending on condition - they`re unlikely to drop below that, but the flip-side, I don`t see them making a quick/huge increase. I don`t know enough about Stingrays to comment. What I would say is get the one your hands and ears like best. If you`re predominantly a Precision player, the Stingray will feel ok as similar sized necks, but the sound may be bit "new" - I found this, I love the sound of them until they`re in my hands, then they just sound "wrong".

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1404731085' post='2495083']
Without wishing to start a row ( but I almost certainly will...) , I really don't think a '78 P Bass is an instrument worth stretching yourself financially in order to own. The kind of money I see a lot of Fenders from that era going for ( especially in vintage guitar shops ) is a joke, quite frankly. Yes, there were some good ones made back then ( if anyone has one then I am genuinely pleased for them ) , but most were dogs , and even the good ones are not what I would call an in-the-region-of- over £1500 + bass in terms of sound, playability or construction.
[/quote]

This.
I had the chance to buy a natural finish, maple fingerboard 1978 Precision in very good condition a few years ago for £500 & I didn't think it was worth that much. The prices they go for now are nothing short of insane.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1404731085' post='2495083']
Without wishing to start a row ( but I almost certainly will...) , I really don't think a '78 P Bass is an instrument worth stretching yourself financially in order to own. The kind of money I see a lot of Fenders from that era going for ( especially in vintage guitar shops ) is a joke, quite frankly. Yes, there were some good ones made back then ( if anyone has one then I am genuinely pleased for them ) , but most were dogs , and even the good ones are not what I would call an in-the-region-of- over £1500 + bass in terms of sound, playability or construction. In light of that , the Stingray is a better bet, providing you like Stingrays.

With both basses though, a lot depends on the price in regards of whether either represents a good investment.
[/quote] +1
what that man said.

Just not worth it for the P - the Ray will always have more collector's value (if you care about that) and.. you've got a P bass- why get another one that will cost more but probably not be better for you?
And if looking for something old, you need not even spend that much - my 1977 BB1200 is similar age, I would wager would come off as the "better" instrument in some kind of mass bass off against the Precisions and cost a fraction, a fraction of whatever you're thinking of spending on the '78 P bass.
So my curveball - if you are going for something old, and you're a precision player.... Leo perfected his original idea.... track down a G&L L1000

I think pre EB MM's are likely to be much better basses than a LOT of '78 P-Basses but that assumes you want
the MM sound.
Go play and hear the one you want to buy.
I think the MM will be the better bass but there are a lot of people who only see 70's P-Bass - must be worth a mint..??