Why become a member? ×

Is £1000 enough????

Damonjames

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1404381231' post='2492036']
I honestly don't see any issue with the Squier CV basses. More than adequate in looks, sound and feel once they've been setup.
[/quote]

I agree. But it's not all about looks, sound and feel though, is it? It's also that certain... [i]je ne sais quoi...!![/i]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1404384170' post='2492080']
Why would anyone buy a car that does 200mph and 10mpg or a house that has 5 more bedrooms than needed or expensive designer clothes?
[/quote]

Over-developed sense of entitlement, aspiration, greed, ignorance..?
Or perhaps simply because they can afford it and think, 'meh - why not?' :D

Edited by discreet

£1000 is more than enough to get a quality bass. In fact it's probably enough to buy your amp/cab/combo too!

The exception would be if you are after something specific. The last bass I bought was a second hand Ric 4003, which almost without exception cannot be found for less than £1k. Is it 6 times better than my £150 Squier? Definitely not... but it's a Ric, and that's what I wanted. It's the only time I've ever spent 4 figures on a bass, and I probably won't ever do it again.

I have owned some quite expensive basses over the years but considering the quality of the cheap end of the market these days I just can't imagine doing it again. My current P bass is made of MDF with some decent pickups in it, probably worth less than £200 all in, it plays great because I whacked a second hand mighty mite neck on it and it's set up how I like it... providing you're not after a holy grail tone only achievable with a Bongo or a Rik or an Alembic, I just dont see the point anymore in spending huge sums on an instrument. Probably better off putting that money into your amp.

Come to think of it my bass amp cost more than my current car. I think this might be an indicator that as I'm getting older I'm becoming more of a tightwad. The years of fancy Status basses and flashy motorbikes are in my past along with large credit card bills...

Edited by Wil

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1404372545' post='2491919']
Well yes... but using that logic I don't really need any bass at all, it's not like my life depends on it.
[/quote]

Yup, but it's a sliding scale across all aspects - like some other chaps here, I've happily gigged a £60 Sue Ryder (which I still own), but my two main gigging basses would cost upwards of £3.5k if bought new (bought secondhand for less than half of that). That's purely because I wanted them. Nobody else gives a crap, really... :( :D

Yes it's an odd thing 'value' and really quite flexible and relative. A US Fender P bought new in say 1965 would be much less affordable for most average earners than a new one would be today. Fast forward to say early 80's or a time when old Fenders weren't particularly fashionable then with a bit of wear and tear that 65 P would probably end up in a S/H music shop and get sold for less than £400. It might be worth over £2000 now.

I own lots of basses from utterly cheap to a little under a grand (that's RRP - I am a gyppo so I never pay full price!) and my no.1 cost me £60.

It's a late 70s MIJ Jazz copy, and is the best-playing & best-sounding bass I've ever had my mitts on. Alright, I've spent a bit on electronics & hardware (maybe another £60...) but I struggle to see how laying out an additional £900-odd would have got me something better.

Jon.

Get the instrument/s that work for you and stop fussing so!
I've played cheap things and expensive things that have left me cold, also cheap things and expensive things which have tingled my spine.. guess which ones I've held onto?

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1404393581' post='2492237']
I've played cheap things and expensive things that have left me cold, also cheap things and expensive things which have tingled my spine.. guess which ones I've held onto?
[/quote]

The expensive things? :D

My `78 Precision cost me (this time round) £1050. It has the nicest recorded tone I`ve ever had, imo. The last bass I sold was a 2008 Series US Precision, for £450. That would have done me very well, and had the opportunity to get the 78 back not arisen, I would have kept the 2008. I don`t need the 78, but wanted it back. I wouldn`t have gone and spent the money on any other bass of that value. My backup is a £150 Korean Squier and that does the job very well but the difference in tone - certainly at quiet volumes - is evident.

Edit - I also should have put that I`m happy with virtually any Fender or Squier Precision, certainly I`m yet to play one from either of those manufacturers that I can`t get on with.

Edited by Lozz196

Judging by what used kit goes for these days, I reckon if you tried, you could pick up a nice-sounding bass, a noisy combo and a car to cart it round in for under a grand!

So far my 'rig', such as it is, stands me in at under £250, and I'm as happy as that Larry fella.

That age old question...

For 16 years I watched people buying guitars on a daily basis in my old job working in guitars shops. I repeatedly saw this scenario: What was right for Fred was different to Bob, he liked what Joe liked but Charlie thought they were all nuts...if you get my drift?

In my view from seeing people fall in and out love with basses, it all comes down to the tone of the bass matching the expectation of your ears. Occasionally a cheaper bass really does sound that good, but often it's just that the people who like them do so because they haven't had the opportunity to play greater quality basses or because it's pleasing to their ears and expectations. Nowt wrong with that at all, they're just as right as anyone else and better off financially too!

Personally I must admit I'm a snob when it comes to guitars, I've pretty much repeatedly owned most varieties of basses and guitars from all angles and price points. And all those years working in guitar shops meant I played a fair amount too. I've owned some fantastic cheaper basses but to my ears they didn't survive the cull. There is a reason pro's [u]typically[/u] (not always) stick with higher end gear, and it's not kudos. It's just great quality and you usually need to pay for that.

Sub £1000 there are a ton of lovely basses. When talking about Fender, Mexico reissue basses and American Strandard's are fantastic basses in my opinion. I'd happily play them and recommend them to folk. However I prefer Custom Shop and I value and appreciate the differences these basses attain, doesn't mean I'm right though, just £100's more out of pocket!

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1404393581' post='2492237']
Get the instrument/s that work for you and stop fussing so!
[/quote]

This. In my dual bass case I have my BB2024x and also my BBingray BB300/400S hybrid made of odds and sods bought through Basschat, sprayed by me and fettled by the Bass Doc, Me and a bloke in work - it rocks and you'll never see up for sale on here because none of you would give me the price of a decent curry for it and to me it sh*tes on any MM ever!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1404407406' post='2492397']
One of my work colleagues dropped down dead last week, he was 52, I have no concept of religion or afterlife etc, I came home that day and booked a holiday, I dont need a holiday as ive just been, I dont need 3 stingrays either.
[/quote]

Good point Pete, if you have the bucks, get the best you can. The best isn`t always the most expensive mind, but the above shows, you can`t take it with you. If you have the money, get the [u]right[/u] things.

[quote name='planer' timestamp='1404402191' post='2492335']
Judging by what used kit goes for these days, I reckon if you tried, you could pick up a nice-sounding bass, a noisy combo and a car to cart it round in for under a grand!
[/quote]

I think for under a grand you'd probably get a nice-sounding bass, a combo and a noisy car to cart it round in... :D

I like many others used to use two basses at a gig most weekends, one was a Ray of sorts £1350 minimum to £2000 ish depending on which one and at which time, the other was my Bitsa Jazz that I sold on here a while ago just because I only play 5 strings now, it was worth a fraction of the Ray but it did 50% of the gig every time, it was (is?) a great bass :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977