Why become a member? ×

In Praise Of Curly Cables!

Hot Tub

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1331642606' post='1576340']
Wilko Johnson mentions these in this months Guitarist. He says he always buys them, if he sees them available, but does also say that he views the sound quality to not be too good.
[/quote]

I can't notice any loss of sound quality with the Bullett cable. Very heavy duty not like the old ones.

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1331635809' post='1576139']
I've used one of those Bullet cables above for the last two gigs.
I can't really notice any major tonal difference but getting about the stage without getting all tangled up and having my 4m lead turning into a 2m lead because it gets in a knot like usual is very liberating.
If you patrol your territory on stage and make the odd invasion into the guitarists base camp like I do I'd recommend getting one.
They look very retro chic too.
[/quote]

They look good, I saw a bass player using one of those, in white, last week.
But I much prefer my wireless :)

Just a few weeks ago I lost my favourite lead and bought a couple of Rotosound curly leads as a stopgap.. Theyre fine, and I aint trod on my lead since.....

Course, I dont use any pedals.

Some of the 70s ones were crap though, but not all of em.

Anybody comes across my one off dayglo green lead with Neutrix plugs,which I'd recognise anywhere i want it back please. probably left at either The Wharf in Walsall or The Roadhouse.

Been using them myself for as long as I can remember. I do love the look of them, but I also like the fact they're tidier & not a tangled mess.
I've never noticed a difference in tone TBH, though they may cut some of the top-end(?)
Bullet coiled cables are probably the best, but the Vox ones at half the price are also pretty good IMHO.

[quote name='nick' timestamp='1331715819' post='1577450']
Been using them myself for as long as I can remember. I do love the look of them, but I also like the fact they're tidier & not a tangled mess.
[/quote]

Once you've untangled them in the first place, of course.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1331685888' post='1577319']
They look good, I saw a bass player using one of those, in white, last week.
But I much prefer my wireless :)
[/quote]

I had a wireless system but once I did a direct comparison with a top-quality instrument cable, I immediately sold the wireless.

YMMV

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1331731559' post='1577858']
Something similar in BGM this month. Norman W-R is talking about getting a Bass made with a 45 year old piece of wood and the luthier using hide glue from way back when. He then says 90% of his sound comes from his fingers.......
[/quote]

...and 9% from the pickups and electronics :rolleyes:

[quote name='StraightSix' timestamp='1331731335' post='1577853']
I had a wireless system but once I did a direct comparison with a top-quality instrument cable, I immediately sold the wireless.

YMMV
[/quote]

"once" is not today... maybe you should try again, you may be pleasantly surprised :)

Line6 G30 here for the past 2-3 years. These units are nothing like the old radio transmitters.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1331731559' post='1577858']
Something similar in BGM this month. Norman W-R is talking about getting a Bass made with a 45 year old piece of wood and the luthier using hide glue from way back when. He then says 90% of his sound comes from his fingers.......
[/quote]

He obviously has very loud fingers.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1331735643' post='1577975']
"once" is not today... maybe you should try again, you may be pleasantly surprised :)

Line6 G30 here for the past 2-3 years. These units are nothing like the old radio transmitters.
[/quote]

Sorry my point was not well-worded, I'll try again:

I had a wireless system but after doing a direct comparison with a top-quality instrument cable, I immediately sold the wireless.

YMMV

I had a wireless system but after doing a direct comparison with a top-quality instrument cable, I immediately sold the wireless.

YMMV

MB1. B)
Been there! done that also!
my intention has not been curly however!

Edited by MB1

Its all cobblers, I cant hear the difference, nor can anybody else. a few pf per metre difference ? an ohm or two ?? on a 15' lead...awww c'mon get real.

If you buy a cheapo straight lead with moulded plugs and really thin cable it will be crap, It will crackle when it moves, it will break etc

If you bought the cheapo curly ones in the 70s, with moulded plugs and thin cable they were crap. they would crackle and break

Get a half decent one and it will be OK, put it behind your strap, and under the handle on your amp or whatever to prevent strain on it or it will give you problems....Obvious.

I bought a cheap curly lead from Tandy in the early 80s and used it exclusively at every gig and practise until last year when it failed at a gig.
So I just treated myself to a new one from rotosound for £4.20 plus £1.00 postage:
[url="http://www.rotosound.com/instrument_cables.php"]http://www.rotosound.com/instrument_cables.php[/url]
Hope it lasts as long - I'll be 85 next time I need another :huh:

[quote name='StraightSix' timestamp='1331738938' post='1578057']

YMMV
[/quote]

fine :rolleyes:
our mileage indeed varies! I´m not going back to cable (and I never used suspect quality ones) :)