Why become a member? ×

In Praise Of Curly Cables!

Hot Tub

I bought a cheap curly lead from Tandy in the early 80s and used it exclusively at every gig and practise until last year when it failed at a gig.
So I just treated myself to a new one from rotosound for £4.20 plus £1.00 postage:
[url="http://www.rotosound.com/instrument_cables.php"]http://www.rotosound...ment_cables.php[/url]
Hope it lasts as long - I'll be 85 next time I need another :huh:

MB1. B)
:lol: Thats Top! :lol:
Tandy not heard that name for some time!

[quote name='MB1' timestamp='1331762769' post='1578639']
Tandy not heard that name for some time!
[/quote]

I kitted out my studio with cables, mics and headphones from Tandy about 30 years ago.
Still got most of it and it's still working fine.
I was recording the band recently and we didn't have enough headphones so I got one of the old Tandy specials out - huge closed style (and with a curly lead).
The 17 year old guitarist didn't believe they were real, he thought they were a toy :lol:

The best curly cable I have ever used is this http://www.bulletcable.com/bullet-cable-shop/vintage-retro-30-coil-cable/

I have been using the same one for a couple years, it has traveled with me through about 40 countries and countless shows, not to mention my everyday gigs here in Vegas. Never fails, never crackles or makes odd noises either.

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1331766088' post='1578719']
I kitted out my studio with cables, mics and headphones from Tandy about 30 years ago.
Still got most of it and it's still working fine.
I was recording the band recently and we didn't have enough headphones so I got one of the old Tandy specials out - huge closed style (and with a curly lead).
The 17 year old guitarist didn't believe they were real, he thought they were a toy :lol:
[/quote]

At the time everybody thought Tandys stuff, Amstrad, Waltham, etc was crap. Compared with some of the UK made stuff that was available, it was.

But compared to the build quality of a lot of 'Better' brands, and chinkeese junk thats around now, it was usually bloody good stuff

[quote name='Craigmartini' timestamp='1331786120' post='1578818']
The best curly cable I have ever used is this [url="http://www.bulletcable.com/bullet-cable-shop/vintage-retro-30-coil-cable/"]http://www.bulletcab...-30-coil-cable/[/url]

I have been using the same one for a couple years, it has traveled with me through about 40 countries and countless shows, not to mention my everyday gigs here in Vegas. Never fails, never crackles or makes odd noises either.
[/quote]

Using the same one here. For gigs as far apart as Brentford, Croydon and Kingston (upon Thames. Not Jamaica)
I've got the toothpaste one as it was on sale a £10 off.

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1331808966' post='1579110']
Using the same one here. For gigs as far apart as Brentford, Croydon and Kingston (upon Thames. Not Jamaica)
I've got the toothpaste one as it was on sale a £10 off.
[/quote]

So...

Its a [i]Signa[/i]l cable then. :P And now yourv playing has a [i]Ring of Confidence[/i] about it.

Oh all right then, I'm going.

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1331813826' post='1579242']
So...

Its a [i]Signa[/i]l cable then. :P And now yourv playing has a [i]Ring of Confidence[/i] about it.

Oh all right then, I'm going.
[/quote]

Great when used with a Fender Sensodyne. Especially the 5-string, with its low Oral-B.

Col-gate my coat...

Like I said before... personally I am not a fan of curly cables. I had one ages ago. It was not a good one. I inherited it when I bought a guitar... it was actually interesting because when it started to truly fail, you could turn the plug to get one of two situations: normal sound, or attenuated. I could almost use it as an effect :)
I didn't like the elasticity of it. Playing at home I tended to forget about it, and a few times I nearly dropped the unmounted rack FX processor I was using back then (Boss GX700 anyone? :))
Today I prefer wireless. Or occasionally I use some good quality custom made cables, with Neutrik plugs etc.

BUT... all this talk of curly cables... is slowly making me realise the white curly one in that picture on page 1 looks cool. And it would look awesome with my white MM SUB. I recently saw a bass player using one like that, white, with his white Thunderbird... and it was pretty :lol:

If this reaches page 6 I might have to buy a white Bullet... :P

having a clear out in the attic today and found one of my two curly cables - its a transparent clear cover so you see the shiny screencore inside :D

im off to maplins and get a couple of decent 1/4 inch jacks and resurrect it - it's circa '77

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1331823440' post='1579481']
I don't care what anyone says or how expensive they are curly cables are not a good thing, unless they can literally defy the law of physics. In which case they are the work of the devil.

:dash1:
[/quote]

Yes. It's like an on-off switch on a mic, just yells "cheap!!!!!!!!"

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1331823440' post='1579481']
I don't care what anyone says or how expensive they are curly cables are not a good thing, unless they can literally defy the law of physics. In which case they are the work of the devil.

:dash1:
[/quote]

But if you run along the stage, then sort of leap up and backwards, you can make it look like the springs pulling you back.

Now you'd look silly trying to do that with a wireless......Wouldnt you :gas:

Edited by BRANCINI

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1331829000' post='1579605']
But if you run along the stage, then sort of leap up and backwards, you can make it look like the springs pulling you back.

Now you'd look silly trying to do that with a wireless......Wouldnt you :gas:
[/quote]

A spring would probably be a better conductor than a curly cable. Plus you have a built in reverb unit :lol:

having a clear out in the attic today and found one of my two curly cables - its a transparent clear cover so you see the shiny screencore inside :D

im off to maplins and get a couple of decent 1/4 inch jacks and resurrect it - it's circa '77

MB1. B)
Will probably be another 35 years before youve managed to solder the plugs on! :lol:
remember trying to resolder one once...nightmare :o

Cant understand why some people are fussy about their lead, then plug their gold plated super dooper jack plug into a probably tarnished chrome plated jack socket that aint been cleaned in its life, then through the amps internals, which contains ordinary wire, none of your oxygen free special dielectric cable in there mate. Then play into a room with dubious acoustics at best.,

Or even DI into a desk 50 yards away, along whatever the multicore happens to be, through the desk, out again, 50 yards more in the multicore, slave amps, various patch leads and speaker cables which could be anything - often as not theyre orange mains cable as in your lawnmower.
But yeah, that 10 metres of lead will sound better if its not curly, and if its special low capacity oxygen free whatever whatever blah blah kings new suit blah blah anorakiebullsh*te…….

Sorry, I still reckon its MOSTLY cobblers. As long as its reasonable quality and you aint got a £1.99 curly lead from 1972, you wont hear a difference.

Of course, thats just my opinion.

Still whatever turns you on, if it makes you play better, use what you like - I do.

I think Fender do one as well - which they claim is 'not like the old 60s ones' - and its about half the price (how often does that happen with Fender?!)
I agree that too much money can be spent on super duper cables when the chain is only as good as its weakest link. But I for one can hear the difference between a good quality lead and some moulded plastic ended effort from the bargain bin.

The issue with curly leads is that no matter how good the cable is its about 3x as long as its reach because of the coiling. So if you have a 10m curly lead you're going through about 30m of cable. The shorter the better as this is where the signal gets degraded, the longer the lead the weaker the signal.

And I take the point about the multicore etc. but usually that signal has gone through some kind of preamp and is a balanced line.

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1331828993' post='1579604']
Yes. It's like an on-off switch on a mic, just yells "cheap!!!!!!!!"
[/quote]

Nah they are the coolest thing to use. Look at this and drool!

[attachment=102607:SAM_0430.JPG]

You can even strech them out. See, even my daft dog loves it!

[attachment=102608:SAM_0429.JPG]

Jez

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1331833174' post='1579694']
I think Fender do one as well - which they claim is 'not like the old 60s ones' - and its about half the price (how often does that happen with Fender?!)
[/quote]

DO NOT!!!

I repeat

DO NOT!!!

buy a Fender curly lead. It sounds awful and removes all top from your sound. I wouldn't have believed how dull it made my bass sound if I hadn't heard it myself (and this was a replacement for the first one which I had to return to the shop because it didn't work at all).

Edited by gjones