Why become a member? ×

Glasto 2014

merello

[quote name='victor5string' timestamp='1404139570' post='2489644']

If thats the picture doing the rounds on social media i dont believe it to be James Hetfield. James has tattoos on his neck, arms and knuckles and none of these were in the guy on the picture I saw.
[/quote]

It looks like Hetfield to me, but I am perfectly willing to believe that it isn't him if someone knows better.

There are some pictures that someone sent to Mrs Dingus supposedly of me with some leather -clad women in a hotel room in Berlin on my best friend's stag weekend that are quite clearly fabricated , so I suppose I should know better than to believe everything I see.

[quote name='DorsetBlue' timestamp='1404140287' post='2489654']
Really? I have not found one 'genuine' picture of Hetfield doing that, plenty of a chap called Mr Giles incorrectly referenced as Hetfield. Not saying he doesn't like hunting but the only thing that he has genuinely done about this is narrate a film about bear hunting.

[/quote]

That is error enough. Bears good, Metallica bad.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1404137948' post='2489611']
[b]Jack White:[/b] sounded atrocious! ...... Credit to the Theremin player, who managed to stay in tune! Not an easy thing to do with a Theremin, not least at a big open-air event.
[/quote]

It's all relative - Anything would have sounded in tune next to Jack Whites guitar.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1404142874' post='2489687']
It looks like Hetfield to me, but I am perfectly willing to believe that it isn't him if someone knows better.
[/quote]

Found one that wasn't the Daily Nail:

[url="http://www.thatsnonsense.com/view.php?id=1856&keywords=James%20Hetfield%20hunting%20brown%20bear%20picture"]http://www.thatsnonsense.com/view.php?id=1856&keywords=James%20Hetfield%20hunting%20brown%20bear%20picture[/url]

[quote name='DorsetBlue' timestamp='1404140287' post='2489654']
Eavis, the farmer. Pro badger culler and fox hunting advocate. Not sure of the conflict of interest this makes between him and Hetfield?

Not sure how people think Glastonbury is a 'hippie' festival anymore anyway, even the local ones here that claim to be (Bestival?) are outrageously expensive.
[/quote]

All evidence points to the fact that Glastonbury is a purely commercial concern, but there is still the much-vaunted idea associated with Glastonbury that it stands for ... something or other, no one seems quite sure what, and that Michael Eavis is a philanthropist rather than a good old fashioned capitalist.

Just let me be clear, I have no problem with festivals being run as commercial concerns purely for private profit. People pay their money and take their choice. If people want to spend a fortune to travel to a far-flung corner of Britain , get off their tits and watch mainly crap bands whilst availing themselves of horrific toilet facilities then be my guest. Just please stop trying to sell me the idea that it is such a wonderful life-affirming experience. I've had gastroenteritis and a terrible hangover at the same time in the past , and it was no fun whatsoever, even without a sh*t indie band for a soundtrack . What I do object to is the elevation of Glastonbury to being a national institution that everybody is obliged to celebrate and endorse.

[quote name='DorsetBlue' timestamp='1404143490' post='2489705']

[url="http://www.thatsnonsense.com/view.php?id=1856&keywords=James%20Hetfield%20hunting%20brown%20bear%20picture"]http://www.thatsnons...0bear%20picture[/url]
[/quote]

That bear looks like it has been bludgeoned by a very heavy guitar riff to me. My money is still on Hetfield.

Whoever it is, that man is a Tw*** that looks a mighty beast in the picture and I just can't for the life of me
see what is so great about shooting an animal for sport.
They shoot poachers in Africa... according to my mate who was a 'ranger'..and this seems little different.

I can understand culling ...just about, but on what planet is that sport.??????

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1404142998' post='2489691']
That is error enough. Bears good, Metallica bad.
[/quote]

Fair enough and I can understand your opinion. The hunting of bears does rankle with me too, even though I have hunted in the past for pest control (magpies/rats) and food/pest control (rabbits). In the 70s-80s, rabbits were a large part of our diet (admittedly quite a bit of it was farmed rabbit). The show in question, is about Kodiak bears who live on an island (Kodiak) with a restricted biosphere. The cull is 'apparently' required to ensure the correct balance is maintained and some locals/aboriginal people do indeed eat bear. I wouldn't do it but it is certainly in his legal rights to do so and has nothing to do with his music IMHO.

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1404142472' post='2489683']
Oh, that's a bit disappointing. With or without the other singer?
[/quote]

Just guesswork.... as I thought they were back on the road next year...mind you, so might be Phil Collins :lol:

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1404143948' post='2489716']
Whoever it is, that man is a Tw*** that looks a mighty beast in the picture and I just can't for the life of me
see what is so great about shooting an animal for sport.
They shoot poachers in Africa... according to my mate who was a 'ranger'..and this seems little different.

I can understand culling ...just about, but on what planet is that sport.??????
[/quote]

It isn't sport, it's murder.

[quote name='DorsetBlue' timestamp='1404144048' post='2489721']
Fair enough and I can understand your opinion. The hunting of bears does rankle with me too, even though I have hunted in the past for pest control (magpies/rats) and food/pest control (rabbits). In the 70s-80s, rabbits were a large part of our diet (admittedly quite a bit of it was farmed rabbit). The show in question, is about Kodiak bears who live on an island (Kodiak) with a restricted biosphere. The cull is 'apparently' required to ensure the correct balance is maintained and some locals/aboriginal people do indeed eat bear. I wouldn't do it but it is certainly in his legal rights to do so and has nothing to do with his music IMHO.
[/quote]

Well considering that bears have roamed the earth for tens of thousands of years ( I'm not really sure when bears first evolved but it was a very long time ago) , that Kodiak island is one their ancient natural habitats and they were for a long time perfectly happy to thrive there, one does wonder whom the cull is "necessary" for? I'm sure the bears are quite content not to be slaughtered.

Edited by Dingus

I throughly endorse Dingus' explanation!

I remember when I was an avid NME/MM reader in the early/mid '90s, there wasn't the big deal made of 'Glasto' (hate that abbreviation) in the press. It was just one of the festivals. In fact, from memory, there was far more talk of Reading and newer ones like Phoenix. Glastonbury was a bit old-skool, a bit crusty! I don't recall much being made of it, or at least nowhere near like it is now.

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1404144578' post='2489731']
I throughly endorse Dingus' explanation!

I remember when I was an avid NME/MM reader in the early/mid '90s, there wasn't the big deal made of 'Glasto' (hate that abbreviation) in the press. It was just one of the festivals. In fact, from memory, there was far more talk of Reading and newer ones like Phoenix. Glastonbury was a bit old-skool, a bit crusty! I don't recall much being made of it, or at least nowhere near like it is now.
[/quote]

I remember when it was Pilton pop festival

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1404144413' post='2489728']
Well considering that bears have roamed the earth for tens of thousands of years ( I'm not really sure when bears first evolved but it was a very long time ago) , that Kodiak island is one their ancient natural habitats and they were for a long time perfectly happy to thrive there, one does wonder whom the cull is "necessary" for? I'm sure the bears are quite content not to be slaughtered.
[/quote]

What culls are always for, humans. The bears would naturally keep to a population level to the resources present. However humans also require some of those resources and are a bit squishier than bears (just about everything in the animal kingdom is). I can't see Alaskans (aboriginal and europeans) vacating the island for the bears though.

[quote name='DorsetBlue' timestamp='1404143490' post='2489705']

[url="http://www.thatsnonsense.com/view.php?id=1856&keywords=James%20Hetfield%20hunting%20brown%20bear%20picture"]http://www.thatsnonsense.com/view.php?id=1856&keywords=James%20Hetfield%20hunting%20brown%20bear%20picture[/url]
[/quote]
Doesn't even remotely look like him.

Ah! I see! White male.
No facial hair, squared jaw, un-hetfieldy clothes but most importantly, Hetfield can't tell a moose from his mom beyond fretboardrange. Unless it was a point blank encounter there's little chance he'd hit a rabid airbus charging at him.

Trujilo is awesome, Metallicka should have stayed in the 80s though.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1404143812' post='2489711']
All evidence points to the fact that Glastonbury is a purely commercial concern, but there is still the much-vaunted idea associated with Glastonbury that it stands for ... something or other, no one seems quite sure what, and that Michael Eavis is a philanthropist rather than a good old fashioned capitalist.

Just let me be clear, I have no problem with festivals being run as commercial concerns purely for private profit. People pay their money and take their choice. If people want to spend a fortune to travel to a far-flung corner of Britain , get off their tits and watch mainly crap bands whilst availing themselves of horrific toilet facilities then be my guest. Just please stop trying to sell me the idea that it is such a wonderful life-affirming experience. I've had gastroenteritis and a terrible hangover at the same time in the past , and it was no fun whatsoever, even without a sh*t indie band for a soundtrack . What I do object to is the elevation of Glastonbury to being a national institution that everybody is obliged to celebrate and endorse.
[/quote]

My old Headmaster (RIP) is Michael Eavis's brother. Worthy Farm is held in trust for the Eavis family, and if my Headmaster's opinion was anything to go by, not all the Eavis's agree with it being used to host the festival. He thought his brother enjoyed being the local philanthropist by 'putting in a few stone styles for the locals' while the festival causes massive environmental damage to the area.

You could imagine that we were exited thinking about free tickets when we found out, but the Head would have nothing to do with it. He was a great Headmaster, who had the respect of the town. A thoroughly decent man.

I eventually went to Glastonbury in '87, hitchiking all the way from Newcastle. My faves were Pop Will Eat Itself, Stump, Gay Bykers, Hank Wangford and Doctor and the Medics. There was some interesting stuff on smaller stages and tents about the place. Headlining were New Order and Elvis Costello who were super dull. My abiding memory were bad toilets, rain, over priced food, peoples tents getting robbed and a bunch of anarco/hippy/punx next to us who were a real bunch of w***ers. I remember being up on a hill at night looking over the thousands of people, with their fires and rubbish and just thinking this looks like hell.

Aye, good old days :)