Why become a member? ×

Glasto 2014

merello

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1404135618' post='2489574']
I think I'm a little bit in love with St Vincent:
[/quote]

Me too, since she was on Jools a few weeks ago. Going to see her at the Roundhouse later in the year. I didn't know she was going to be on at Glastonbury - was she a late addition?

(oops the "bass" player cocks up a minute or so into this clip. hurray for live music! bet that didn't happen to Dolly :D)

Edited by toneknob

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1404135088' post='2489567']
Debbie Harry 69?
[/quote]

I used to be head over heels in love with Debbie...

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1404135618' post='2489574']
I think I'm a little bit in love with St Vincent:
[media]http://youtu.be/BWu28I44XRo[/media]
[/quote]

Love her looks, general quirkiness and guitar shredding; very nice black Music Man Albert Lee...

[quote name='lonestar' timestamp='1404075025' post='2489110']
I photographed metallica at Donnington in the '80s; they were very good
[url="http://assets-s3.rollingstone.com/assets/images/gallery/500x595/64b01bc2a348ac397e1685dbba2340ed31e6c23d.jpg"]http://assets-s3.rol...0ed31e6c23d.jpg[/url]
[/quote]

I didn't watch Metallica on purpose because someone sent me a photograph taken fairly recently of James Hetfield proudly standing next to the carcass of a large grizzly bear he had just murdered for sport.

For anyone who doubts that this whole " spirit of Glastonbury" and "ethical festival" ethos is complete and utter bullshit , the fact that Michael Eavis and co are quite willing to endorse and handsomely reward such individuals surely incontrovertible proof to the contrary. Glastonbury might as well be being run by McDonalds or Ted Nugent . That makes me feel quite ambivalent , in so much as I would probably hate Glastonbury even more if it did in fact embrace and epitomize those hippy ideals that it was supposedly founded on, but at the same time, it is quite galling to have to endure the kind of " Glastonbury fascism" that we all subjected to nowadays,especially by the BBC ( because they have paid a lot of money to get the rights to broadcast it) .

It has become received wisdom that Glasto is the zenith of every music lover's year, that to play Glastonbury is surely the peak of any musician's career and that the whole thing is such an amazing experience, really something very special. . Suggest any otherwise and you will be considered eccentric, at best, but the reality is that festivals are very seldom the best environment in which to see any band play, and the spurious idea that such gatherings foster a spirit of brotherhood or[i] bon ami [/i] amongst those who attend is one which gullible people find very appealing but in fact has no basis in reality.

Edited by Dingus

I miss Glastonbury. I've been 5 or 6 times in the distant past... back when the perimeter fence never held and the site was awash with crusties drinking scrumpy and selling 'herbal' cakes. It really was another planet back then. And good times were had too :) If you've never been then sadly, I doubt you'll ever get to experience those heady days again. But such is the way of things.

I quite enjoyed what I saw of this year's festival on TV. Beats the usual weekend telly dross, that's for sure.

[b]Bombay Bicycle Club:[/b] hadn't heard them prior to Glasto, but I enjoyed their set a lot. Nice simple and effective basslines too. And on a Squier! Bonus points.

[b]Lana del Ray:[/b] seemed a bit too cool for school, bordering on lacklustre. Shame as I normally enjoy her music. Still, much better than...

[b]Lily Allen[/b], who was dull and just seemed to be going through the motions. A wasted booking.

[b]Metallica:[/b] I thought they did a great job of it. Showing their age (who isn't!?), but still as tight as a gnat's chuff, playing-wise. Hetfield's "hippy speech" half way through made me cringe (go back to shooting bears mate...); as did the rent-a-mob of metal nerds they brought with them on stage (hair too short and too recently showered to be authentic). Could barely hear Trujillo in the mix, but I do like the dude. And he managed to get trough an impressive selection of basses.

[b]Dolly Parton:[/b] class act. Loved her. The one Glastonbury moment I was able to discuss with my mum, who was super-excited to watch her set.

[b]Rudimental:[/b] I like their releases, but this sort of music doesn't translate well to the big stage - it needs four wall and celing to bounce off. Otherwise it just comes across sounding like a washed-out mess, which this did.

[b]Ed Sheeran:[/b] Got to hand it to him for having the cajones to play the gig solo with just a looper pedal for company. Impressive. I do like the guy, but find his music gets repetitive very quickly. Still, the crowd seemed to really enjoy it.

[b]Goldfrapp:[/b] really good. Alison was cool as ever and the band performed well. Another class act.

[b]Jack White:[/b] sounded atrocious! Not due to musicianship, but the mix was terrible... a big wall of mush. Credit to the Theremin player, who managed to stay in tune! Not an easy thing to do with a Theremin, not least at a big open-air event.

[b]Ellie Goulding:[/b] I really liked her first album, but lost interest after that. So a lot of this set was lost on me, although Mrs Skol is a fan and enjoyed it. Brave choice of clothing, is all I'll say.

... I'm sure I saw others, but I forget who.

[b]Award for the most annoying contribution to the Festival:[/b] the BBC presenters. Especially Greg James. Tedious and trite in the extreme. Rest in peace John Peel, to date there is no equal...

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1404137948' post='2489611']
I miss Glastonbury. I've been 5 or 6 times in the distant past... back when the perimeter fence never held and the site was awash with crusties drinking scrumpy and selling 'herbal' cakes. It really was another planet back then. And good times were had too :) If you've never been then sadly, I doubt you'll ever get to experience those heady days again. But such is the way of things.

[/quote]

I too remember Glastonbury from those days, but it was still only for people who weren't quite rugged enough for Stonehenge. ;)

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1404135251' post='2489569']
Have to say, I am surprised at the number of positive Jack White comments on here. Maybe I just didn't get it?
[/quote]

That gig as his theremin player must be the best way ever devised of getting paid get to see the world whilst doing very little work. I have surely missed my vocation.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1404137948' post='2489611']

[b]Lana del Ray:[/b] seemed a bit too cool for school, bordering on lacklustre. Shame as I normally enjoy her music. Still, much better than...

[/quote]

bordering? :blink:

artistic overstayer if you ask me :P

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1404138446' post='2489622']
I too remember Glastonbury from those days, but it was still only for people who weren't quite rugged enough for Stonehenge. ;)
[/quote]

:D I never went to Stonehenge. Closest I got to that sort of event was Castlemorton.

Reminds me that I saw a documentary about the Stonehenge festivals recently, showing the heavy-handed aggro dished out by the police onto travellers. Sickening stuff.

Has anyone else noticed how Ellie Goulding is getting increasingly desperate in trying to turn herself into some kind of credible "alternative " artist [i]a la [/i]Florence And The Machine? I watched her yesterday evening and I thought she was going to do herself some kind of a mischief.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1404139214' post='2489637']
:D I never went to Stonehenge. Closest I got to that sort of event was Castlemorton.

Reminds me that I saw a documentary about the Stonehenge festivals recently, showing the heavy-handed aggro dished out by the police onto travellers. Sickening stuff.
[/quote]

To be fair, those travellers were quite handy themselves when it came to a bit of aggro ( peaceful hippies they most definitely weren't ) , but the police were Margaret Thatcher's personal army in those days, so anything went.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1404137798' post='2489606']
I didn't watch Metallica on purpose because someone sent me a photograph taken fairly recently of James Hetfield proudly standing next to the carcass of a large grizzly bear he had just murdered for sport.

For anyone who doubts that this whole " spirit of Glastonbury" and "ethical festival" ethos is complete and utter bullshit , the fact that Michael Eavis and co are quite willing to endorse and handsomely reward such individuals surely incontrovertible proof to the contrary. Glastonbury might as well be being run by McDonalds or Ted Nugent . That makes me feel quite ambivalent , in so much as I would probably hate Glastonbury even more if it did in fact embrace and epitomize those hippy ideals that it was supposedly founded on, but at the same time, it is quite galling to have to endure the kind of " Glastonbury fascism" that we all subjected to nowadays,especially by the BBC ( because they have paid a lot of money to get the rights to broadcast it) .

It has become received wisdom that Glasto is the zenith of every music lover's year, that to play Glastonbury is surely the peak of any musician's career and that the whole thing is such an amazing experience, really something very special. . Suggest any otherwise and you will be considered eccentric, at best, but the reality is that festivals are very seldom the best environment in which to see any band play, and the spurious idea that such gatherings foster a spirit of brotherhood or[i] bon ami [/i] amongst those who attend is one which gullible people find very appealing but in fact has no basis in reality.
[/quote]

If thats the picture doing the rounds on social media i dont believe it to be James Hetfield. James has tattoos on his neck, arms and knuckles and none of these were in the guy on the picture I saw.

Edited by victor5string

[/quote]

Really? I have not found one 'genuine' picture of Hetfield doing that, plenty of a chap called Mr Giles incorrectly referenced as Hetfield. Not saying he doesn't like hunting but the only thing that he has genuinely done about this is narrate a film about bear hunting.

For anyone who doubts that this whole " spirit of Glastonbury" and "ethical festival" ethos is complete and utter bullshit , the fact that Michael Eavis and co are quite willing to endorse and handsomely reward such individuals surely incontrovertible proof to the contrary.
[/quote]

Eavis, the farmer. Pro badger culler and fox hunting advocate. Not sure of the conflict of interest this makes between him and Hetfield?

Not sure how people think Glastonbury is a 'hippie' festival anymore anyway, even the local ones here that claim to be (Bestival?) are outrageously expensive.

Rewind about 20 years ago, and I loved Metallica when I was learning about guitar bands (12/13 years old).

I still think they have some absolute killer hooks and riffs, and its pretty amazing how they have kept going for so long. I just can't take metal very seriously, but it's inevitable that one day slightly rockier heavier bands would play Glasto.

Have Foo Fighters headlned before? I reckon they will be next.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1404140838' post='2489663']
Have Foo Fighters headlned before? I reckon they will be next.
[/quote]

Re Glastonbury 2015, Eavis said "We've got three headliners already – and that's without Prince. We've got some good headliners. We had an agent [for a band] yesterday on the platform by the stage watching Metallica with me, saying, 'My band want to do it next year'. I can't tell you who it was but that was done on the platform watching Metallica. It it a British artist? He's definitely British, but the band are not British any more."

Who's that then. Genesis?

PS - My highlights so far are: Jake Bugg (hugely talented vocalist and song writer, and clever with the right amount of guitar lead etc), Interpol, St Vincent and Robert Plant.

I'll watch last night's set tonight.

I was disappointed with Jagwar Mar. Great on record but as has been referred to above, sometimes a festival isn't the right place to see a band. The band just sounded like they had zero soundcheck and couldn't hear anything.

Blondie sounded bad...shame.

[/quote]

I saw that and assumed it was actually true..as I couldn't recognise him etc etc ...
so I turned over as soon as I could. I'd far rather see Brian Ferry on the sort of form his band were on
anyway... but I really didn't want to watch Metallica on principle either.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1404139220' post='2489638']
Has anyone else noticed how Ellie Goulding is getting increasingly desperate in trying to turn herself into some kind of credible "alternative " artist [i]a la [/i]Florence And The Machine? I watched her yesterday evening and I thought she was going to do herself some kind of a mischief.
[/quote]

I agree her performances do look rather desperate and contrived these days... but fair play to her for letting the backing girl singer onto the same stage.

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1404140988' post='2489665']
Re Glastonbury 2015, Eavis said "We've got three headliners already – and that's without Prince. We've got some good headliners. We had an agent [for a band] yesterday on the platform by the stage watching Metallica with me, saying, 'My band want to do it next year'. I can't tell you who it was but that was done on the platform watching Metallica. It it a British artist? He's definitely British, but the band are not British any more."

Who's that then. Genesis?
[/quote]

Fleetwood Mac..