Why become a member? ×

Glasto 2014

merello

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1404218942' post='2490410']
I don't know about the vocals but Jeez do any of you think she was playing that fiddle? Come on then digital camera experts why was the guy on the right playing in time when hers wasn't, my bow technique on DB is terrible but I can tell you that's not how you bow a fiddle! No mic, no wireless Kit, no piezo installed...
[/quote]

And, funnily enough, only the sound of one violin. It hardly seemed like a serious attempt to fool the audience.

And no-one has bothered mentioning the security guards doing a dance routine to "Jolene". And I don't think anyone who was actually there has said anything about her miming. Never mind, there's always time to get a Miltychat flashmob together and grab the pitchforks and blazing torches.

[quote name='lou24d53' timestamp='1404205584' post='2490179']
I suppose I could do some Googling myself on this, but what's the general feeling of the people from Glastonbury town and the neighbouring areas, do they approve / disapprove of the festival being held there each year?
[/quote]

Pilton (where it is held - a bit of a jog from Glastonbury) used to have a lot of problems with it as there was a lot of theft, noise and obviously difficulty with transport, but since the 90s they have increased police involvement ploughed a bit of money back into the town (bought a few things like a community hall etc) and done quite a bit to try and improve the lot of the people, so it is not viewed as badly as it was. There isn't much of an advantage of the town, as there isn't really much there, so noone to really gain. As time goes on and people move in, they must know what is happening.

A lot of locals make a lot of money (camping/glamping/hotels/selling cider/ a friend of mine rented her house out for the weekend for a four figure sum) Most of Pilton is off limits to festival goers, every house along the road through it has 24 hour security outside.
If I remember rightly most of the objections came from one person who has long since gone.

[quote name='lou24d53' timestamp='1404215515' post='2490333']
Is it? I thought that was just a one off a few years back where the had a year off?
I'm pretty sure I read Michael Eavis has already confirmed he has booked his headliners for next year also.
[/quote]

Ah, I'd read somewhere that it was going to be the norm to skip a year but turns out they will do it every 3 or 4 years to allow pasture to properly regenrate. My mistake.

I went this year for the first time and had the best weekend I've possibly ever had in my life! It was on mine and Mrs Kinder's bucket list and was for a mate's 40th. Being firmly middle aged we hired a motorhome and it was well worth it. We wouldn't have had such a good time in a tent with the rain and the very ripe toilets, so if you're thinking about going and can afford it then do it in a motorhome!

Highlight for me was Dolly by a mile. She had 100k+ people in the palm of her hand, songs were amazing, the (admittedly well practised) banter between songs was so entertaining. We were quite a way back and didn't hear anything about her miming until we got back, so I can only comment on how it was live - and it was brilliant. Also loved Paul Heaton & Jackie Abbot - they played about 5 Housemartin tracks which made my weekend. Kaisers were great, really enjoyed De la Soul, Rudimental, Disclosure. And St Vincent - she's captivating. Also loved wandering around seeing very random acts - if anyone's seen Mik Artistik, they don't come much more random.

If you haven't been and are thinking about it, just do it. If we could get childcare we'd go every year now!

[quote name='Kinder' timestamp='1404293175' post='2491136']
I went this year for the first time and had the best weekend I've possibly ever had in my life![/quote]

Nice one Kinder! You've given me the itch to go again :)

That's the thing about Glastonbury. People who've never been just read about the mud and the toilets, and watch the TV coverage that depicts it as being all about standing in a field in front of a big stage. But there's so much more to the festival that doesn't get reported - and that's always where the real magic can be found.

Each time I've been, we probably spend less than 10% of our time stood at the main stage, and the vast bulk of it exploring the smaller, weirder acts on the other stages. The Circus Field, the Comedy Tent, the Sacred Space late at night... etc.

I know the festival has lost much of its former anarchic charm. But it's also lost a lot of the crime and anti-social stuff too (I was there the year before it closed down, before the big fence got put up, and it was hell with people getting robbed and beat up all over the shop).

So yeah, I'm looking forward to going again some time and introducing our wee lad to the sights and sounds of it all ;)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1404307572' post='2491396']
That's the thing about Glastonbury. People who've never been just read about the mud and the toilets, and watch the TV coverage that depicts it as being all about standing in a field in front of a big stage. But there's so much more to the festival that doesn't get reported - and that's always where the real magic can be found.

Each time I've been, we probably spend less than 10% of our time stood at the main stage, and the vast bulk of it exploring the smaller, weirder acts on the other stages. The Circus Field, the Comedy Tent, the Sacred Space late at night... etc.
[/quote]

Same goes for other festivals. What me and Mrs Tone found was that it wasn't the strength or otherwise of the main acts that made the weekend, but the number of punters there. So Glastonbury is way too huge, Bestival just about too big (despite having some *really* good smaller weirder areas), smaller than that pretty good. We're off to our favourite for the third year running this year, really looking forward to it.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1404165367' post='2490016']
My old Headmaster (RIP) is Michael Eavis's brother. Worthy Farm is held in trust for the Eavis family, and if my Headmaster's opinion was anything to go by, not all the Eavis's agree with it being used to host the festival. He thought his brother enjoyed being the local philanthropist by 'putting in a few stone styles for the locals' while the festival causes massive environmental damage to the area.

You could imagine that we were exited thinking about free tickets when we found out, but the Head would have nothing to do with it. He was a great Headmaster, who had the respect of the town. A thoroughly decent man.

I eventually went to Glastonbury in '87, hitchiking all the way from Newcastle. My faves were Pop Will Eat Itself, Stump, Gay Bykers, Hank Wangford and Doctor and the Medics. There was some interesting stuff on smaller stages and tents about the place. Headlining were New Order and Elvis Costello who were super dull. My abiding memory were bad toilets, rain, over priced food, peoples tents getting robbed and a bunch of anarco/hippy/punx next to us who were a real bunch of w***ers. I remember being up on a hill at night looking over the thousands of people, with their fires and rubbish and just thinking this looks like hell.

Aye, good old days :)
[/quote]

Glasto was indeed a bit more edgy in those days. That was the reality of all those "alternative" festivals back in the day. There was a absence of law and order that could be quite frightening . In that respect , there is a lot to be said for the sanitizing of festivals in recent years.

However, I hope you are not suggesting that my criticisms of the current Glastonbury Festival are by implication a championing of that bygone age. That would be a very false assumption. That era is however the one I personally identify with because that was when I was young enough to hanker for that kind of excitement and adventure . The present day Glastonbury is complete bollocks in its' own right, regardless of how the festival may or may not have been in the past. :)

Edited by Dingus

I've just been watching a few more acts on the I Player that I missed at the weekend, including Metallica featuring James Hetfield, who allegedly didn't kill a bear, but probably would if he got the chance. They churn out the same old racket in the same old relentless way . I am not surprised it is so popular, but what they create is mostly dreadful nevertheless. The old adage that no one ever went broke by underestimating the taste of the general public definitely applies. This is the biggest and best rock group in the world. but it is a world in which such an accolade only refers only to successful marketing strategy, not any enduring emotional depth or inherent quality in the music of such an act.

Robert Trujillo with his " rad cool " reliced Jazz Bass slung round his ankles while he struck his disaffected teenage kid poses was particularly irritating, and the whole band look ridiculous.

By contrast , the self-indulgent post -trip hop warbling of London Grammar was just as bad in its' own way, but at least it isn't the sonic equivalent of having a newly-sharpened pencil stuck up your nose. I have never heard this lot before , but they are sh*te of the first order and I recommend avoiding them at all costs. All the songs sound the bleedin' same ( , no really, I mean you can't remember if they finished the last one and started another, and then you just give up caring) .Absolutely dire. They must be quite popular because they were headlining the Michael Barrymore Stage , but I'm buggered if I know why anyone would willingly give up their time to listen to that drivel.

And don't even get me started on Arcade Fire.

So many of the lesser acts, particularly those from overseas just seem like they are going through the motions with full knowledge that no one is really listening to them or particularly interested. It must be a very difficult gig in that respect, but I suppose if you are on the festival circuit you must get used to it .

In light of all that, I couldn't care less whether Dolly was miming or not, at least she was genuinely entertaining ,charismatic and warm , and she certainly knows how to put on a show. One Dolly Parton is worth ten Metallicas in my book, and long may she continue. I still think she is very sexy, too, albeit is a fairly post-surgical manner. I wouldn't judge her for that, though. Take away my hair care regime and moisturizing cream and my power over women would evaporate overnight, so Dolly can do what she feels is necessary to stay pert as far as I am concerned. .

Edited by Dingus

Metallica have made some great records, im not sure large festivals are the way to introduce people to your stuff, they never do a band justice (for all ;) )imo. I always enjoy a band more if I know how the song goes to fill in the blanks of a poor mix when watching tv or at the venue regarding massive shows like that. Metallica metallica is brilliant from start to finish both musically and production wise, ok you might not like them Dingus but so many proper die hard music fans cant be wrong :D

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1404332356' post='2491724']
Metallica have made some great records, im not sure large festivals are the way to introduce people to your stuff, they never do a band justice (for all ;) )imo. I always enjoy a band more if I know how the song goes to fill in the blanks of a poor mix when watching tv or at the venue regarding massive shows like that. Metallica metallica is brilliant from start to finish both musically and production wise, ok you might not like them Dingus but so many proper die hard music fans cant be wrong :D
[/quote]

They have been hugely popular for a very long time, but that doesn't make them good . Only being good would do that :D .

I have actually seen Metallica play live at very close quarters , in the early 1990's. Without wishing to be a name dropper or go in to too many details , the band and I have mutual friends and I used to live in their neck of the woods in those days, so had some very good access to all things Metallica for a while .

When that Black album came out I quite liked some of the songs on it and I could certainly see their appeal , but it all went downhill again after that in my opinion . To me , they will always be the band that launched a million t-shirts rather than an outstanding musical act. Even as a heavy rock act, they don't match up to their antecedents from earlier decades, like Sabbath or even Judas Priest. The songs just don't stand up.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1404333854' post='2491747']
I never bought anything after the black album :D
[/quote]

Why bother, Pete, it was impossible to go any blacker after that album, and so really they had nowhere to take it subsequently.

I can still remember the momentum that record had when it came out, and for a while they swept all the competition away. Not surprising they have found it hard to top that. Most bands would.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1404330868' post='2491704']
I've just been watching a few more acts on the I Player that I missed at the weekend, including Metallica featuring James Hetfield, who allegedly didn't kill a bear, but probably would if he got the chance. They churn out the same old racket in the same old relentless way . I am not surprised it is so popular, but what they create is mostly dreadful nevertheless. The old adage that no one ever went broke by underestimating the taste of the general public definitely applies. This is the biggest and best rock group in the world. but it is a world in which such an accolade only refers only to successful marketing strategy, not any enduring emotional depth or inherent quality in the music of such an act.

Robert Trujillo with his " rad cool " reliced Jazz Bass slung round his ankles while he struck his disaffected teenage kid poses was particularly irritating, and the whole band look ridiculous.

By contrast , the self-indulgent post -trip hop warbling of London Grammar was just as bad in its' own way, but at least it isn't the sonic equivalent of having a newly-sharpened pencil stuck up your nose. I have never heard this lot before , but they are sh*te of the first order and I recommend avoiding them at all costs. All the songs sound the bleedin' same ( , no really, I mean you can't remember if they finished the last one and started another, and then you just give up caring) .Absolutely dire. They must be quite popular because they were headlining the Michael Barrymore Stage , but I'm buggered if I know why anyone would willingly give up their time to listen to that drivel.

And don't even get me started on Arcade Fire.

So many of the lesser acts, particularly those from overseas just seem like they are going through the motions with full knowledge that no one is really listening to them or particularly interested. It must be a very difficult gig in that respect, but I suppose if you are on the festival circuit you must get used to it .

In light of all that, I couldn't care less whether Dolly was miming or not, at least she was genuinely entertaining ,charismatic and warm , and she certainly knows how to put on a show. One Dolly Parton is worth ten Metallicas in my book, and long may she continue. I still think she is very sexy, too, albeit is a fairly post-surgical manner. I wouldn't judge her for that, though. Take away my hair care regime and moisturizing cream and my power over women would evaporate overnight, so Dolly can do what she feels is necessary to stay pert as far as I am concerned. .
[/quote]

I was going to take issue with your Metallica comments, but the I read your opinions on Dolly Parton and they put everything nicely into perspective.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1404330868' post='2491704']

[/quote]

Just reread that and realized it is quite unfair. Most bands look ridiculous, and Metallica are no worse than a multitude of others. . Rock Music a ridiculous business, and that is a big part of its' appeal.

To Metallica's credit , they work hard to put on the best show they can, and are consummate professionals in that sense. I wouldn't want to give the impression that I have any particular beef against them , it's just that to me their position as the biggest metal act on the planet for the last quarter of a century is indicative of the paucity of acts of true stature in that genre of music. They are O.K at what they do , but what, for example, have Metallica ever produced that could rival Black Sabbath in their pomp? Sabbath turned out one classic album after another every year or so a big part of their early career, all of which compare very favourably to Metallica' best work in my estimation. In fact, to be honest, I think they trounce anything Metallica have ever created.

Let me put my cards on the table and say that I much prefer old metal to new metal, and to my sensibilities Metallica were the front runners of the whole new metal scene. I'm glad the their legions of fans and indeed even casual viewers enjoyed the gig at Glasto, but when even the News At Ten is eulogizing about the transcendent power of Metallica's live performance I cannot help but think that the hyperbole associated with this band has gone[i] way[/i] too far.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1404344208' post='2491853']
It may not be sport, but it certainly isn't murder.
[/quote]

Looks like murder to me. That bear appears to be very dead for no good reason except someone enjoyed killing it.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1404334896' post='2491761']
Milton keynes bowl 1993, I was 15, best gig yet, the sound was epic.
[/quote]

For some reason Pete, I really don't know why, I always assumed you were much older than that. I'm sure a big part of why I am biased towards old metal is precisely because that was my era.

Edited by Dingus