Sarah5string

What are you listening to right now?

2 hours ago, odysseus said:

Youtube algorithm served this up earlier.  What's this?... dunno...who is she?..... wait up.... hang on a minute.... THAT's Anthony Jackson and Simon Phillips in the engine room... I'll carry on watching and listening.

Holy cow! Glad I did, this is immense.  I'd never heard of Hiromi Uehara, but I have know. Insane skills and utter joy in her performance. Outstanding!

With the outstanding Anthony Jackson on bass!

anthony-jackson-interview-apr09.jpg

14 hours ago, odysseus said:

Youtube algorithm served this up earlier.  What's this?... dunno...who is she?..... wait up.... hang on a minute.... THAT's Anthony Jackson and Simon Phillips in the engine room... I'll carry on watching and listening.

Holy cow! Glad I did, this is immense.  I'd never heard of Hiromi Uehara, but I have know. Insane skills and utter joy in her performance. Outstanding!

That's cheered me up no end! Superb! Apart from the musicianship, she's clearly enjoying herself immensely,  and Anthony Jackson's expression is just something else.

Off to find more now, I have an afternoon of reading documents, so some classy music in the background will be good. Or a complete distraction.😁

16 hours ago, odysseus said:

Love it. The older I get, the more I'm liking a bit of jaaaaz

Tears For Fears. 

I'm waiting for the super-deluxe of Seeds of Love to arrive, so while I wait, I'm just doing the super-deluxes of the first two.

I'm  listening to the 4 CDs of Super Deluxe now.  It's rather splendid (I'm also a bit sloshed). 

Thing that always astounds me is that all this additional material has been out there, albeit unreleased, for decades. It sounds wonderful.

The latest from Royal Blood, described by the Guardian as AC/DC meets Donna Summer, not sure quite what I think about it...

Edited by Frank Blank

Just got this in the post so enjoying giving it a listen on vinyl for the first time.

121144160_706187439979173_3912356004583394775_n.jpg

• Like 2

Probably the worst album cover, ever. Worse than Born Again, even.

Even after allowing for the fact the album was going to be called War Pigs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 07/10/2020 at 18:31, Stub Mandrel said:

I guess that song is related to this one - seems to share some lyrical ideas and tune - first heard it on Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds "Kicking Against the Pricks" covers album.

• Like 1

I have the Murder Ballads, cheerful soul our Nick.

The double album thread and the conversations around The Clash led me back to Big Audio Dynamite.

The first album sounded so fresh and exciting and had a huge affect on me at the time. It was a record to stick on before going out on the town and a record to stick on again once you were home!

I had the good fortune to see them at Leicester Poly, and needless to say they were superb live. A reminder of great times.

White Levi’s, Bond guitars and baseball caps are go..!

Edited by Old Man Riva
  • Like 2

On 08/10/2020 at 21:18, odysseus said:

Holy cow! Glad I did, this is immense.  I'd never heard of Hiromi Uehara, but I have now. Insane skills and utter joy in her performance. Outstanding!

Saw Hiromi with Stanley Clarke at Ronnie Scott’s a few years back. Fantastic gig. 

The new Touche Amore record

Only recently started listening to these guys, but really enjoying them

<iframe src="https://open.spotify.com/embed/album/6fA79mAHNeBhaUnuWBADwc" width="300" height="380" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>

1 hour ago, bartelby said:

Listening to Leonard with Leonard:

71EF918A-7AF5-436F-8A50-E5021FCD7562.thumb.jpeg.3d603c1b067ca48188274c05d275f575.jpeg

Big fan of Leonard! Now of 2 Leonards! One of my favorite albums of his is Popular Problems.

• Like 1