Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

Despite being a music fan and working in local radio, I do not sit and listen to music very often.  I cannot remember the last time a put a CD on and listened to the whole thing.  I don't have any music or radio playing in the car as I find it too distracting.

A few months ago, I put together a playlist on Spotify.  It contains many of the tracks I loved as a teenager back in the 1960s, all played on Radio Caroline (North) via medium wave.  The Beatles rub shoulders with the Beach Boys, Association, Rascals, Mamas & Papas and many other more obscure one hit wonders.  A few days ago, I was relaxing after putting some miles in on my turbo-trainer and listened to my 60s selection.  I was 16 again and a lot fitter.  Sadly, back then, I was also covered in Acne but that's another story!

I knew all the words to all the songs while I don't know anything that's in the "Hit Parade" these days.  Oh, for the heady days of Radio Caroline.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LeftyP said:

I knew all the words to all the songs while I don't know anything that's in the "Hit Parade" these days.  Oh, for the heady days of Radio Caroline.

Even if there was a radio caroline or whatever, it would play the hits of now, not the parents or grandparents generation, and as you said, you don't listen to music so why would it be surprising you don't know anything produced recently

2 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Even if there was a radio caroline or whatever, it would play the hits of now, not the parents or grandparents generation, and as you said, you don't listen to music so why would it be surprising you don't know anything produced recently

I work in local radio and hear the new stuff all the time, which is why I choose not to listen to it at home!

On 22/09/2022 at 13:20, ezbass said:

I follow Rhett Shull on YT and he posted a video about this singer songwriter. I quite like it, Joni Mitchell meets, er, The Meters, maybe? Anyway: Madison Cunningham…

I've just run into a bunch of her stuff. A great quirky guitar-player and fantastic songwriter...

Edited by SICbass
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Having a bit of an early-Queen day.  I couldn't bear them after Jazz.

Currently spinning the 'On Air' boxset (the early BBC sessions), which will lead into the early interviews.  I've also just acquired a copy of the News Of The World 40th Anniversary set, so that'll be next.

I'm currently spinning the expanded version Sound Of White Noise by Anthrax.  I had the original on CD when it first came out, can't say I listened to it more than two or three times, enough to familiarise I suppose.  Couldn't believe it's over 30 years old.

At the time I wasn't really taken with it, way to brutal for my otherwise power-pop sensibilities, I haven't listened to it in three decades.  The thing that immediately struck me listening now is how lightweight it seems and how a lot of John Bush's vocals don't seem any more aggressive than (and share similarity to) Gary Cherone of Extreme.  It might be the mastering for Spotify, but it sounds a lot more polished than I remember as well.