Why become a member? ×

What, no back-up?

Guest MoJo

Guest MoJo

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1401118037' post='2460228']

I've never had a string break either, but I have had the jack socket fail during a practice on my BB415!
[/quote]

The pickup selector switches and input jacks are the BB414 and 415 Achilles heel. Change them for Switchcraft equivalents and you should never have a problem again

i played a gig last summer that was in the afternoon, i loaded the car in the morning and by the time i got to the gig the neck of my number1 bass at the time had bent to unplayable proportions due to the heat! fortunately my back up hadnt shifted.

Edited by DarkHeart

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1401123403' post='2460298']
If someone is paying then I think a back up is part of a good service
[/quote]

I agree with this. If you're not taking back-ups then you need to be 100% confident in your tackle.
Otherwise you risk looking an unprofessional jerk.
Just my (old-school) opinion, of course. :)

As the previous 2 posts: if your charging 'x' amount for a wedding for example, yes, I would have a back-up ready to go. You never know.

I've had a neck swell and bend due to the heat and being left in the car too. I had no choice at the time as the wedding was in a marque on the hottest day of the year.

I broke a string before christmas at rehearsal, but that turned out to be a problem with the bridge, once I'd got that sorted everything's been ticket-boo. I don't take a backup bass, amp or cab. Down that route madness lies...

I've got a bass lead with an XLR plug on the other end though - the absolute worst case scenario is that I go through the 'snake' to the PA directly. Worse things happen at sea.

Also I really look after my kit. ;)

Edited by paul_5

I've pretty much always taken two basses (or guitars) to gigs. I've rarely had to make use of a spare bass but the few occasions that I have done are enough reason for me to keep taking it!

I know a lot of people think spare strings is enough but I've always thought that if you're on a multi-band originals gig then five minutes restringing is a big chunk of your 30 min set to let your audience's attention wander elsewhere. If you're on a paying gig then it just doesn't fly. I've had strings, straps and straplocks fail when playing guitar with my function band, every time I've had another guitar round my neck and playing within a bar or two. Show has to go on!

Only ever taken one bass. Always have a spare set of strings, screwdriver, fuses and goodness knows what else in the case pockets. Needed strings a couple of times in my life, never anything else though.

Had an amp go down twice (yes, same one) in rehearsals but never suffered any other problem in over 30 years playing.

The risk is low, not high enough to warrant spare basses/amps. I'm sure if I was a touring professional I would, but I'm not and appreciate travelling very light.

At a festival (Les 3 Elephants...) I helped organise, several years ago, a top-of-the-line bassist touring Europe in a high-flying name band had his bass fail in Sweden. He 'phoned us,and for the gig in France I lent him our Cort active fiver. He was pleased as punch, and played an excellent set. None of the 10,000 in the public were any the wiser. I was, however, surprised that such a top player would tour the world with only 1 bass, but he explained that it really was too much hassle for such little risk. I don't know how he got on with the rest of the European tour, though.

35yrs playing Bass guitar & BBb Tuba, never taken a spare and never broken a string.
I do take a spare lead and strings but don't take a 2nd amp or cab.
I've just never felt the need and have confidene in my equipment. I do buy quallity stuff, monster cables, Markbass, G&L, Fender etc and I always change battery in my active Bass.
I just take valve oil for my Tuba.

i think i broke a bass string once some time in the late 70s but cant be totally sure - broken plenty of skinny cheese wires though

luckily this last sunday evening i had a back up with my - amp started farting like mad so i swapped from my active to passive and it stopped - i also noticed that there was a curtain across back of my rack case blocking airflow - moved that so not sure if it was the battery in the guitar or the amp cooling down that sorted the problem

this is main reason i hardly gig my TRB any more because it seems to eat batteries!

Ever since I broke a string during the first song at one of my very first gigs playing bass (and had to do the rest of the set using the support band's Grant Violin Bass copy strung with ancient flats and one a strap so long it almost reached my knees) I have always tried to have a spare bass available. I broke strings at two gigs last year and was up and running with the spare in the short break between songs.

It may only take me a couple of minutes to change a string under normal circumstances, but on a dark stage when the rest of the band are giving you the hurry up it's bound to take much longer. Since I play in a band whose average song length is under 2' 30" you can see why I'm not prepared to risk being without a spare bass on stage.

We actually have a song in the set (a cover of "Why Don't You Do Right," that Peggy Lee/Benny Goodman used to do, and later Jessica Rabbit), which is always included such that it can be bought forward in case of technical emergency. E.g., if our guitarist breaks a string, or if our drummer accidentally blows up his kit, it starts with a couple of minutes of just bass and voice, giving the band time to rectify the problem while the music continues. Hell, even if our singer needs a couple of minutes to chain some Strepsils, I can keep that bassline going all night. It's not often necessary, but it's a handy fall-back.

There is no such backup if something goes wrong with my bass. Granted, I've not broken a string in something like seven years, certainly not since I adjusted my playing style, but I realise I'm walking a bit of a tightrope in that respect...

[quote name='James Nada' timestamp='1401315130' post='2462492']
I have a cheap short scale bass as a backup.
It takes up little space and is cheap enough to leave in the car if space is tight on stage (or in the corner of the pub).
[/quote]

Emergency car bass! That's a great idea. It can go in the boot along with my car overcoat and car vodka!

I take a spare Bass, a set of strings, fuses, batteries and a few spare leads.
I draw the line at a spare amp.
I have only ever broken 2 strings. One in rehearsal and one on stage.
It was a case of hit the mute button, unplug lead, take off bass, put on spare bass, plug in, hit mute button and play on.
Must've taken all of 10 seconds.