Why become a member? ×

Tribute bands

Roger2611

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1400432707' post='2453791']
I won't be able to sleep tonight until someone unlocks the mystery of what is good music and what is bad music.
[/quote]

I think the general consensus on the forum would be that "Bad Music" is what other people listen to....

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1400432014' post='2453781']
I expect Ray Ellington is feeling just a [i]tiny[/i] bit stupid right now.
[/quote]

His son, Lance Ellington, is one of the singers with the Strictly Come Dancing band you know....

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1400424628' post='2453669']
Perhaps someone could make a list of 'good music' and 'bad music' just so we all know. ;)
[/quote]

Yep, I would like to know.
Good, bad, it's still all noise.

Sir Thomas Beecham.
“The English may not like music, but they absolutely love the noise it makes.”

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1400428306' post='2453719']
Say what one may about tribute bands, at least they have the honesty (or the self-awareness) to recognise what they are doing and to bill themselves as playing other people's music. The vast majority of originals bands offer little more than slavishly recycled guff, driven either by mendacious laziness, self-deluded fantasy or witless ineptitude.
[/quote]

Well spotted, this must be the reason every 'originals' band still sounds like Blind Lemon Jefferson to me and Robert Christgau was correct when he told Led Zepplin they were just embarking on a journey of 'self-deluded fantasy' ;)

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1400415825' post='2453588']
Gasllighting Annie almost gave me a nervous breakdown. And I can't nail Kid Charlemagne the way Chuck Rainey did it. However, I'm happy to put some of my own personality into the songs.
[/quote]
Sorry, that should have read 'Gaslighting Abbie.'

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1400487635' post='2454194']
Surely good music or bad music all comes down to personal preference?
[/quote]

Definitely.
There is awful when you don't like the style or concept or whatever.
Then there is awful because the 'musicians' lack the skill to play the composition to the appropriate standard.
I'd guess that the latter is more universally seen as 'bad music'

It's quite interesting thinking about contrasting scenarios though:
- A person goes to see a fusion outfit - the band are all incredible musicians who play blistering solos, but this chap just can't feel any sort of connection at all.
- Then they go and see their seven year old play his first school orchestra show. The whole thing is a train wreck verging on farce. Kids are forgetting their parts and the girl on triangle is going nuts. The chap is filled with joy and pride.

Edited by Roland Rock

slightly off thread I'm afraid, but when do people think something truly original came along, can't stand it, but Rap was original, Chuck Berry? Jimi Hendrix? perhaps Black Sabbath? the Beatles and the Stones certainly weren't, most successfully musicians were just good at reinventing the wheel

I'd rather play toilets and have people tell me they think my music is great than play other people's music for money, personally. I play bass ( and other instruments) as a means of creating my own music.It may not be the most original music ( there's only so many notes and it's fair to say they've all been used before) but it's mine.

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1400487635' post='2454194']
Surely good music or bad music all comes down to personal preference?
[/quote]

Agreed, although I can appreciate well-played music that isn't in a genre that I'd normally listen to. I'm personally not a massive fan of country music, but I still have an opinion on what I consider good stuff and bad stuff. When I say "well-played" I don't mean ability, it's more about effort and creativity. To me, the worst music is just lazy and this can be a combination of musicians not learning their stuff, the music itself being full of cliches, or the band not bothering to connect with the audience.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1400488832' post='2454207']
slightly off thread I'm afraid, but when do people think something truly original came along, can't stand it, but Rap was original, Chuck Berry? Jimi Hendrix? perhaps Black Sabbath? the Beatles and the Stones certainly weren't, most successfully musicians were just good at reinventing the wheel
[/quote]
That's interesting but what Rap or Rappers would you say were the originals?

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1400490079' post='2454226']
That's interesting but what Rap or Rappers would you say were the originals?
[/quote]
just googled it, apparently it started centuries ago, so I suppose everything is just a progression, at best, of what's gone before

I've never really been into covers or tributes personally, preferring to play originals... however... Would I rather play bass in a covers band for the same money I currently get for sitting in the office for 50 hours a week?

Yes i would

... So I guess I'd better stop moaning about covers bands really.

Edited by CamdenRob

I used to play original stuff and although it wasnt too bad IMHO, People just weren't interested.
A few weeks ago I played All Right Now in a pub and everyone one went wild! Go figure.
I think I'll stick to the pubs for pocket money definition. I have no intention of been a [i]serious musican[/i] anyhoo. ;)

I've played in an "originals" band and a Stereophonics tribute band at the same time...sometimes even "supporting" the Phonics tribute with the originals band at the same gig...exhausting!!!

I enjoyed both very much I did have the luxury of playing my own version of the phonics bass lines though,as the original ones are pretty boring root note affairs to pander to Kelly Jones' whims it would seem.

Weirdly the singer in the Originals band looked exactly like Kelly Jones (same height ,hair colour etc) but didn't sound like him....the singer in the tribute band looked nothing like him but sounded the same......if only we could have swapped them ,the tribute band would have made much more money as a look alike band :ph34r:

Playing the main stage at Nottinghams' Rock city remains the "biggest gig" of my time as a bass player ....that was with the tribute act.

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1400491229' post='2454254']

It's worth factoring in that my relationship to playing is simply that I love to be doing it- almost to the point of addiction. The material is immaterial, so long as it is played well, and I get a goofy grin across my chops whether I'm bashing out a heavy rock original, or playing a cover of Dolly Parton. I just can't make much distinction, either because I just like it all, or because the threat of cold-turkey blinds me to the difference! I'm just glad of any opportunity to play really.
[/quote]

A 24 carat gold post and one around which we might all unite.

There's a view that says originals permit one to 'express oneself'. Fair enough, yet just as surely one can equally well express oneself through other peoples' music. Which is what we mostly do, unless we ourselves are the writers.

There are levels of expressing yourself, though, aren't there? It is not a case of you do or you don't but that, whilst you can, to a degree, do so in many situations, some ways of expressing yourself are more 'comprehensive'!! And, for some, that expressing of oneself comes not in the playing or the music but in the so called 'stage-craft'. So, for some, they can get their needs met in different ways to me. For me, it's improvisation that floats my boat and that makes tribute bands a no go area by definition.

I am the opposite of Jus Lukin. I cannot just play anything. Most 'popular' music bores me rigid and, if I am bored, the audience knows I am bored (suffice to say, I couldn't play poker).

Yep... I am well passed just having to get out there for the sheer love of it.
I'll do the gig if it is interesting and they look after you well enough.

I'd do a few tribute dates as long as I didn't have to pretend too hard or wear
any clothes, but then a decent covers band can get good money and good gigs
so I have no need for tributes. Our tribute band just isn't that exclusive to any one act... ;)