Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Cabs - Retro six10 and Retro Two2

JamesBass

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1400076058' post='2450488']
I bought a second-hand Big One a few months ago. It is probably about five years old. It has been well used.
[/quote]

Hey, I bought a second-hand Big One on here recently, too! I even contacted Alex to let him know my views on it, and though interested, he [i]completely failed[/i] to take the opportunity to try to sell me his current flagship cab, the Gen 3 Big Twin 2!

If he's not going to push his latest models at every available opportunity in an irritating manner, the guy just doesn't [i]deserve [/i]to succeed! it's almost as if he expects me to be happy with a Gen 1 product?? :blink:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1400076561' post='2450502']

:blush: Sorry. I couldn't help myself...
[/quote]
The poor OP must be wondering what the hell he's started! If only he knew the outcome of the thread would be so predictable! :-)

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1400075579' post='2450482']
Call me a cynic (I know that I am...I question everything) but I wouldn't personally place much weight in a standard music mag review. That goes for ANY product.
[/quote]
+1 Wise words.

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1400076698' post='2450505']
The poor OP must be wondering what the hell he's started! If only he knew the outcome of the thread would be so predictable! :-)
[/quote]

Yup. You just wind them up and off they go! :D I love it!

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1400076903' post='2450507']
[/quote]

Me to...I'm guity of getting wound up. I am someone who like to be incredibly informed before I buy certain gear. When I do decide, I put my money where my mouth is and have no issues with that.

I am, as mentioned, incredibly cynical.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1400076903' post='2450507']
[/quote]

Well in the name of justice and all that's holy I [i]have [/i]to post - in the interests of parity, balance, freedom from oppression and democracy for all. [size=4]And [/size][i]another [/i][size=4]thing - it has come to my attention that in certain circumstances, it's... (cont. p94).[/size]

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1400071432' post='2450422']

I agree, 100%, although, and I've raised this before, what is inherently wrong with wanting something to be aesthetically pleasing? This is not just aimed at this thread btw. Look at Apple products, they look sleek AND they work and, IMO, don't faff around like previous phones/PC's I've owned. Same with something like Aguilar. They LOOK great AND they sounds superb.

I personally wouldn't buy many products if it was clear it was functionally brllliant, cost a lot of money, yet the aesthetics let it down. This is because there would be an alternative available that ticked all the boxes. I actually DO think the BF products look better. I'm keen to see how the recessed plates look now, and to see another cab in the flesh, so I'm not aiming this at any brand/product really....just generally!
[/quote]

Oh I want things to look good too, I happen to think the BF cabs look great with the silver cloth grille :)

I also think the TKS cabs and the Aguilar cabs look great, and the Bergs, and and and.... :) This is based purely on photos so I'm sure in the flesh they're even better!

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1400075579' post='2450482']
Call me a cynic (I know that I am...I question everything) but I wouldn't personally place much weight in a standard music mag review.
[/quote]

But that's exactly why they rate Barefaced so highly, don't you see?

Barefaced don't place much weight.

;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1400074545' post='2450468']

Doesn't seem like very much of a balance to me, so...

WE NEED MORE NEGATIVITY ABOUT BAREFACED CABS TO REDRESS THE BALANCE!! :)
[/quote]

Yes, there's not nearly enough negativity about Barefaced products, so here's one of my previous posts in another thread. I hope this redresses the imbalance. :)

I am planning to buy a third barefaced cab. Should I think again? <_<

Frank.

QUOTE:
"Here's the truth about BareFaced cabs:

The company is owned by a guy who knows little to nothing about designing bass cabs.

He uses components based on low cost rather than best performance.

He offers what traditionally sells, at the expense of what offers an improved performance.

He snares the foolish into buying his products by making them look pretty, even though they are average (often below average) performers.

He doesn't publish his technical specifications, making it difficult to understand the product he is offering for sale. Worse still, he even exaggerates and publishes barefaced lies about his cabs performance data, all to fool the gullible into buying his products based on looks and image.

If you ask for advice on buying one of his cabs, he lies to you to get a sale.

The most important part of his business model is to develop a brand image so that he can position his products as a premium cost item and take advantage of the veblen effect, whilst offering products that demonstrate inferior technical performance compared to other (sometimes even more expensive) bass cabinets on the market.

He simply continues to manufacture that which is selling and doesn't develop and improve his products.

He markets bass loudspeaker cabinets designed to give the buyers what they traditionally expect and never attempts to push to boundaries of design and engineering. He plays it safe every time.

Once you buy his product, you're on yer own mate - no returning the cab and getting your money back with [i]this[/i] company, should you not want to keep it for any reason whatsoever.

You can expect absolutely no after-sales service.

Frank. ;) ;) :)

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1400089378' post='2450673']
you lot still at it? anyone seen a photo of these new cabs yet. Or would that get in the way of the thread??
[/quote]

Don't be daft, that's not what this thread is about (anymore)

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1400089378' post='2450673']
you lot still at it? anyone seen a photo of these new cabs yet. Or would that get in the way of the thread??
[/quote]

There was one of the 610 on FB a while back, looks just like the '69er

Edit: here you go, '69ers on the left, and Retro 610 on the right:

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1400093348' post='2450726']
There was one of the 610 on FB a while back, looks just like the '69er

Edit: here you go, '69ers on the left, and Retro 610 on the right:
[/quote] oh. 9 pages and it looks the same. :(

;)

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1400094558' post='2450743']
oh. 9 pages and it looks the same. :(

;)
[/quote]

What do you want? Disco lights and go-faster stripes? :-D
Seriously though, I feel your disappointment. I was hoping that the resonator would look like a badass Cosworth spoiler

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1400109377' post='2450973']
What do you want? Disco lights and go-faster stripes? :-D
Seriously though, I feel your disappointment. I was hoping that the resonator would look like a badass Cosworth spoiler
[/quote] is it too much to ask? Trace elliot managed the go faster stripes back in the day, and the british racing green!