Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Cabs - Retro six10 and Retro Two2

JamesBass

So browsing on Facebook and I notice that Barefaced have released two new cabs while removing the 69er. From what I have read about them, they both sound like some amazing cabs! I'm certainly interested in hearing them!

http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/Retro-Six10.htm

Oh mama, the '69er is the cab I've always said I'd get when I next join a gigging band, this looks even better (on paper)!

Not convinced the 12-ohm 2x10 is a good idea though. So running one of these with a valve amp you could choose either the 8 or 16 ohm output as they are close enough. Or with two cabs giving a 6 ohm load, you can use the 4 or 8 ohm outputs. Are all valve amps going to be happy running at a mismatched impedance like this?

Not a problem for solid state amps of course, apart from not getting full power out of your amp with two cabs (you'd need 3 cabs to get down to 4 ohms). I assume the best way would be to stack them vertically like I do with my Ampeg SVT210AVs, but stacking them like that 3 high would be insane!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1399557471' post='2445292']
Not convinced the 12-ohm 2x10 is a good idea though. So running one of these with a valve amp you could choose either the 8 or 16 ohm output as they are close enough. Or with two cabs giving a 6 ohm load, you can use the 4 or 8 ohm outputs. Are all valve amps going to be happy running at a mismatched impedance like this?

Not a problem for solid state amps of course,
[/quote]

I wouldn't trust an Ampeg PF-500 with these cabs...

12 ohms is unusual! I suppose they must have commissioned a driver to make the 4 ohm 6x10", and the 2x10" might have been less economical to produce if it needed its own model of driver. I wouldn't be too worried about running one from the 16 ohm output of a valve amp, as it's only a 25% mismatch from the nominal value and as the blurb points out, impedance varies with frequency anyway.
I'd be interested to hear what these sound like. With more neutral sounding cabs I tend to cut the low bass and boost the upper mids (around 2KHz) to get towards the sound I like, so I wonder if the colouration of these might be the kind of sound I aim towards.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1399559334' post='2445322']
I wouldn't be too worried about running one from the 16 ohm output of a valve amp, as it's only a 25% mismatch from the nominal value and as the blurb points out, impedance varies with frequency anyway.
[/quote]

Yes, I'd be happier running it with a valve amp than with a SS in fact.

Edited by discreet

[b] Why this rather than the celebrated '69er?[/b]
[color=#333333][size=3]
The Retro Six10 is more sensitive (six bass drivers rather than five plus the boost from the hybrid resonator enclosure), has a smoother more flattering treble response, punchier fatter mids and a bigger weightier bottom.[/size][/color]
[color=#333333][size=3]
[size=4]Hmmmmm.[/size][/size][/color][color=#333333][size=3]
[size=4]So it's more sensitive (= louder? who needed it to be louder?), and it has better treble, better mids, and better bottom. All at once. [/size][/size][/color][color=#333333][size=3]
[size=4]I thought cabs were always a trade-off? To make one thing better, something else had to be less good ...[/size][/size][/color]

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1399560638' post='2445342']
[color=#333333][size=3][size=4]Hmmmmm.[/size][/size][/color]
[color=#333333][size=3][size=4]So it's more sensitive (= louder? who needed it to be louder?), and it has better treble, better mids, and better bottom. All at once. [/size][/size][/color]
[color=#333333][size=3][size=4]I thought cabs were always a trade-off? To make one thing better, something else had to be less good ...[/size][/size][/color]
[/quote]

I suspect "smoother, more flattering treble" means "less treble".

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1399560831' post='2445344']
You said it yourself Jack:

More bass + more mids + more treble = louder

And the tradeoff is, the name is not as good.
[/quote]

Come on Danny, that's not what I said. :rolleyes:

If I really believed better = more then I'd be a guitarist, wouldn't I?

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1399560638' post='2445342']
[b] Why this rather than the celebrated '69er?[/b]

[color=#333333][size=3]The Retro Six10 is more sensitive (six bass drivers rather than five plus the boost from the hybrid resonator enclosure), has a smoother more flattering treble response, punchier fatter mids and a bigger weightier bottom.[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3][size=4]Hmmmmm.[/size][/size][/color]
[color=#333333][size=3][size=4]So it's more sensitive (= louder? who needed it to be louder?), and it has better treble, better mids, and better bottom. All at once. [/size][/size][/color]
[color=#333333][size=3][size=4]I thought cabs were always a trade-off? To make one thing better, something else had to be less good ...[/size][/size][/color]
[/quote]

That description to me sounds like less treble but more of everything else.

I assume it might be more economical to make, and perhaps cheaper to buy?

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1399557299' post='2445289']
At £399.00 for the 2 x 10, I expect we'll be hearing a lot about them in the future....

12 ohms ?
[/quote]

Yep, two of these with a high-powered Class D mini amp, nice and portable, with plenty of power, mmmmmmmm.

The ceramic driver they're using in these is amazing, I heard it when over at BF HQ in Jan collecting my Super Compacts.

If I had the money a 2x10 could become my next purchase as a home/small gig cab because the SCs are both permanently in the main big rig set up now :D Probably overkill though so unlikely to happen ;)

Oh c'mon. He's put a 8 and a 4 Ohm driver in series and is going to mutter some technobabble about different impedance curves and frequency curves. No special drivers about it.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1399570476' post='2445503']
Oh c'mon. He's put a 8 and a 4 Ohm driver in series and is going to mutter some technobabble about different impedance curves and frequency curves. No special drivers about it.
[/quote]

Pops the kettle on, opens the biscuits and settles down in the comfy sofa......................................

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1399570476' post='2445503']
[/quote]

Why would he do that? If the drivers were 8 and 4 ohms, it would make a lot more commercial sense to use two of either for a 4 or 8 ohm cab and not have to explain the unusual impedance. Barefaced have worked with an unspecified manufacturer to produce their own 12" drivers, so there's no reason to suspect they haven't commissioned their own proprietary 10" for these cabs.
Unless they are flat-out lying, which they have no history of doing and I would have no reason to suspect that they would...

Edited by Beer of the Bass

There is something about the '69er that is quite special. It must be the combination of sealed punchy goodness, added harmonics from that top right driver, and the roll off at 40Hz - it just works really well.
All of those elements have changed - I hope this cab hasn't lost what makes the '69er so special.