Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Cabs - Retro six10 and Retro Two2

JamesBass

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1400064487' post='2450314']
What perpetuates these threads, and their (often negative) content, is comments like the above.

Why do people have to either "cheeleaders" or "ante's" (sic) in your mind? :(

Many of the people that you perceive to be cheeleaders are simply satisfied customers, who are just as discerning as you, but have come to different conclusions.

I still fail to understand why you feel it to be your mission to constantly make negative comments in every thread that mentions Barefaced. Counter-opinions are valuable, but you are starting to sound like a stuck record! :D

Edit - Discreet got in there first... :)
[/quote]

I agree, it is quite boring and a stuck record. The same as all the positive threads.
Ok, we get it, you like the thing, but to post about the delivery date and the excitment and build up to it all...
jeez..give me a break.
And then along comes the next one and the next one...

Like I said... I just post an opposite view. Some posters are happy enough that I and others have that...even though it is
contrary to theirs. We can have that sensible conversation, and tbf, to Discreet, we have that.
We don't agree and we go back and forth...
But if you are asking me to be silent... because some people don't like to read my thoughts and experience on this subject, then I wont be doing that.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1400065097' post='2450322']
The home made theme is ok if you are charging home made prices, but as you say yourself, this
is a commercial concern. Personally, I would not have that on any product I would be associated with.
[/quote]

So the actual sound and technical specs of a bass cab have no bearing on your purchase decision? That is your perogative.
I myself don't base my purchase decisions merely on how something looks, though I realise this puts me in the minority.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1400065097' post='2450322']
You can't just set out a desired goal and expect to achieve it without any real substance... time will tell if and where that may be.
[/quote]

No real substance? My Barefaced cab seems to be quite substantial... I've been playing bass since 1974 and have owned and played through cabs made by most, if not all the major (and minor) manufacturers, and [i]in my opinion[/i] the cab I have now is the best I've ever used. Of course it may not be for everyone - that is why other brands are available, but it's [i]the best for my purposes[/i].

I'll say it again - Alex is having supply issues keeping up with demand for his product and his books are full of orders not just from the UK but from all over the world. How much time do you need and how much success do you need to see to realise this? :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1400066025' post='2450344']
So the actual sound and technical specs of a bass cab has no bearing on your purchase decision? That is your perogative.
I myself don't base my purchase decisions merely on how something looks, though I realise this puts me in the minority.

No real substance? My Barefaced cab seems to be quite substantial... I've been playing bass since 1974 and have owned and played through cabs made by most, if not all the major (and minor) manufacturers, and [i]in my opinion[/i] the cab I have now is the best I've ever used. Of course it may not be for everyone - that is why other brands are available, but it's [i]the best for my purposes[/i].

I'll say it again - Alex is having supply issues keeping up with demand for his product and his books are full of orders not just from the UK but from all over the world. How much time do you need and how much success do you need to see to realise this? :)
[/quote]

Never said sound wasn't a part of it...and I have covered the sound in my replies, and the sound applies as much as anything.
If you knew anything about me at all... you'd surely know that. :lol:
I'll not repeat it but the sound goal of that cab was totally wrong from my POV...
but sound is subjective and there is no way that cab could have worked for me,
others don't have the same concern.
The fact that it looked like it did... with what I would call, shoddy finishing, sealed it.
If they were to skimp there, where else might they skimp etc etc ...

But hey, don't worry, these things happen, I can try a new one and see if anything has improved.

I don't need to 'realise' anything..if a cab isn't good enough for me and my purposes by whatever criteria, I'll probably tell you. :lol:

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1400066942' post='2450351']
But hey, don't worry, these things happen, I can try a new one and see if anything has improved.
[/quote]

Yes, you really should! Preferably this time with an amp and a bass that you're happy with?
I'd be very interested to read your review. :)

Personally, and I think I've already said this one in this thread, I think the fit and finish on the cabs has come a long way since previous generations, and frankly no-one in the audience gives a rats ass if it looks good up close because they can't tell. Again personally, I think my current rig looks the dogs dangly doodles and sounds even better. My band all agree 100%, plus they love the light weight :)

JTUK, I think the old Compact was certainly never going to be a cab you could like based on what I have gleaned about your sonic goals, howveer I really do think a BB" or Super Compact may surprise you so try one one day if you can. Preferably at a gig, with your bass and amp because, as you will be the first to admit, your last experience seems to have been a bit duff because of the bass and amp as well as the cab... ;)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1400065680' post='2450335']
Ok, we get it, you like the thing, but to post about the delivery date and the excitment and build up to it all...
jeez..give me a break. And then along comes the next one and the next one...

But if you are asking me to be silent... then I wont be doing that.[/quote]

There seems to be a bit of double standards here. You want all the NCD threads to stop (although why you keep reading them is beyond me, unless you enjoy your self-appointed role as Chief Spectre at the Feast) but you have no intention of drawing in your own horns.

OK, we get it - you don't like the things. No need to keep recapitulating your (one) negative experience [i]ad nauseam[/i].

BTW, nobody is asking you to be silent.

Edited by Conan

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1400068928' post='2450385']
I certainly hope he won't. His is virtually the only sane voice on this thread. It's starting to become like a JW prayer meeting in here.
[/quote]

:lol:

I certainly hope he won't. His is virtually the only sane voice on this thread. It's starting to become like a JW prayer meeting in here.
[/quote]

Hahaha!

Thou shalt not criticise any UK manufactured product...because...well, no idea really.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1400067515' post='2450358']
and frankly no-one in the audience gives a rats ass if it looks good up close because they can't tell.[/quote]

I agree, 100%, although, and I've raised this before, what is inherently wrong with wanting something to be aesthetically pleasing? This is not just aimed at this thread btw. Look at Apple products, they look sleek AND they work and, IMO, don't faff around like previous phones/PC's I've owned. Same with something like Aguilar. They LOOK great AND they sounds superb.

I personally wouldn't buy many products if it was clear it was functionally brllliant, cost a lot of money, yet the aesthetics let it down. This is because there would be an alternative available that ticked all the boxes. I actually DO think the BF products look better. I'm keen to see how the recessed plates look now, and to see another cab in the flesh, so I'm not aiming this at any brand/product really....just generally!

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1399556578' post='2445276']
So browsing on Facebook and I notice that Barefaced have released two new cabs while removing the 69er. From what I have read about them, they both sound like some amazing cabs! I'm certainly interested in hearing them!

[url="http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/Retro-Six10.htm"]http://barefacedbass...Retro-Six10.htm[/url]
[/quote]

I don't really "do" Facebook, and didn't know about this. Thanks for the heads-up :)

Says they're wonderfully well made and sound great...and that's the Gen2 cabs not the new ones. (I don't own a BF cab btw)

[url="http://www.guitar-bass.net/gear/barefaced-midget-t-review/"]http://www.guitar-bass.net/gear/barefaced-midget-t-review/[/url]

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1400067515' post='2450358']
Personally, and I think I've already said this one in this thread, I think the fit and finish on the cabs has come a long way since previous generations, and frankly no-one in the audience gives a rats ass if it looks good up close because they can't tell. Again personally, I think my current rig looks the dogs dangly doodles and sounds even better. My band all agree 100%, plus they love the light weight :)

JTUK, I think the old Compact was certainly never going to be a cab you could like based on what I have gleaned about your sonic goals, howveer I really do think a BB" or Super Compact may surprise you so try one one day if you can. Preferably at a gig, with your bass and amp because, as you will be the first to admit, your last experience seems to have been a bit duff because of the bass and amp as well as the cab... ;)
[/quote]

Agreed about the old Compact vs BB2. The Compact is a good cab, in my opinion, but if it weren't as light/compact as it is, I would not have kept it. The BB2, however, is another matter entirely.

As for the finish... it could certainly be better. I think they look good, but those metal corners are oversized for the thin walls BF uses. As a result, there's a sharp edge in all the front corners. It's a small detail, but you've got to bear it in mind: it can catch and snag fabric, or a wandering finger. Easy to avoid, but I'm surprised those corners haven't been replaced for something that fits better.
I have other small criticisms, but in the end, it works for me and I made my choice with eyes open.

Does anybody know if the finish has changed in any way -composition or application- between Gen2 and Gen3 cabs? I'm talking about the black stuff.
I've had the Gen2 Compact since last summer, and the Gen3 BB2 for maybe 2 months now. The Compact has travelled more, yet there is only a tiny mark on it. The BB2 already has three noticeable chips. They are easily touched up, but I have not really mistreated it, and in two of them you can see the underlying wood, as if the finish were more easily flaked off upon impact or something. Just curious.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1400071052' post='2450414']
Hahaha!

Thou shalt not criticise any UK manufactured product...because...well, no idea really.
[/quote]

A bit like that, yes. There is only one truth - our truth. Everyone else is wrong and will go to hell. Sortof. ;)

Anyway, if God had wanted us to have lightweight cabinets he wouldn't have invented the bass guitar.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1400072465' post='2450444']
Anyway, if God had wanted us to have lightweight cabinets he wouldn't have invented the bass guitar.
[/quote]

And if God had wanted us to schlep DBs around he wouldn't have invented the electric bass.
God in this case being Leo Fender, of course. :P

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1400068928' post='2450385'] His is virtually the only sane voice on this thread.
[/quote]

Cool! So the rest of us are insane because we don't hate Barefaced products? Not sure I fully follow your logic on that one... :)

Not that I particularly care either, mind.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1400072164' post='2450435']
Says they're wonderfully well made and sound great...and that's the Gen2 cabs not the new ones. (I don't own a BF cab btw)

[url="http://www.guitar-bass.net/gear/barefaced-midget-t-review/"]http://www.guitar-ba...idget-t-review/[/url]
[/quote]

Bah! They only give the Super12 a 94% rating and the Midget T a 97% rating.

Pathetic review. Completely fails to complain about finish, handles or feet. Doesn't mention how much better all the competition is. Manages to avoid using words like [i]fanboi [/i]or cheerleader.

Instead, they have the temerity to write a genuinely impartial review based on the quality of these bass cabs when used as bass cabs.

Hopeless. Call that journalism?

His is virtually the only sane voice on this thread.
[/quote]

A lot has been said about the balance between positive and negative (or 'ante' and cheerleader, if you like :rolleyes:[size=4]). On the one hand you have someone who tried a bf cab ages ago with an amp and bass he didn't like and he didn't rate it (partly because he didn't like the look of it). This is of course, all well and good and fair enough.[/size]

But... on the other hand you have many and varied bass players who are using all types of bf cab at home, in rehearsal and at all sorts of gigs, have tried them in every conceivable situation and with all types of SS and Valve amp and with many different types of basses - and are very happy with them in all sorts of ways. Some post their findings here extensively, though some don't.

Doesn't seem like very much of a balance to me, so...

WE NEED MORE NEGATIVITY ABOUT BAREFACED CABS TO REDRESS THE BALANCE!! :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1400074238' post='2450465']

Pathetic review. Completely fails to complain about finish, handles or feet. Doesn't mention how much better all the competition is. Manages to avoid using words like [i]fanboi [/i]or cheerleader.

Instead, they have the temerity to write a genuinely impartial review based on the quality of these bass cabs when used as bass cabs.

[/quote]

+1
Wise words

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1400074238' post='2450465']

[/quote]

Call me a cynic (I know that I am...I question everything) but I wouldn't personally place much weight in a standard music mag review. That goes for ANY product.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1400074545' post='2450468']
WE NEED MORE NEGATIVITY ABOUT BAREFACED CABS TO REDRESS THE BALANCE!! :)
[/quote]

That Alex Claber is [i]useless[/i] I tell you.

I bought a second-hand Big One a few months ago. It is probably about five years old. It has been well used.

One of the wheel housings on the bottom was cracked (shoddy materials, obviously). So I e-mailed Alex asking if it would be possible to buy a replacement and how much it would cost.

Not only did he [i]reply[/i] (when he should have been busy building cabinets), but he agreed to send me a replacement wheel [b]FREE OF CHARGE!!! :o [/b]

The guy clearly has no idea how to run a business, and the words "customer service" mean nothing to him. Waste of TIM :(

All of the above is true, by the way. B)

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1400075579' post='2450482']
I wouldn't personally place much weight in a standard music mag review.
[/quote]

Yet you believe stuff you read on[b][i] here[/i][/b]?!?! :o :blink: