Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Cabs - Retro six10 and Retro Two2

JamesBass

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1399642480' post='2446222']
Because they have silly names that no one knows how to properly pronounce! :yarr:
[/quote]

:lol:[size=4] All right then, you don't get this with Ashdown cabs, do you? Oh, wait...[/size]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1399642555' post='2446223']
:lol: All right then, you don't get this with Ashdown cabs, do you? Oh, wait...
[/quote]

See. There's nowt wrong with a good wooly Ashdown cab (keeps you warm in the winter), but people know how to pronounce Ashdown.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1399642555' post='2446223']
:lol: All right then, you don't get this with Ashdown cabs, do you? Oh, wait...
[/quote]

The Ashdown Rootmaster cabs... strange name. Are they open at the back? :mellow: Some might rudely say their owners have plenty of room upstairs.... not me though. Actually the new amps look a bit good, but that's a separate thing dealt with elsewhere.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1399642280' post='2446216']
...And vice-versa. I'm not an offended owner - I just don't get why this always happens with Barefaced products. When someone posts a NCD or other thread about Bergantino or Aguilar cabs you don't get this, do you? Why not?
[/quote]

Nowhere near as many of them... IMO. :lol: I think I counted the first 4 threads about them the other day.
Maybe it is all banter as the people who buy them can't help posting and getting other owners along as cheerleaders in the club.
Maybe it is this place as most bass players I know will not have heard of them.. so no, I wouldn't call them a 'player' in the industry.

And yes, you are right, I don't tend to read about the NCD threads if they are featured as they are all pretty samey in the content.
My points in this thread have mainly been about the tech elements of impedence and config.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1399659352' post='2446466']
And yes, you are right, I don't tend to read about the NCD threads if they are featured as they are all pretty samey in the content.
My points in this thread have mainly been about the tech elements of impedence and config.
[/quote]

Isn't its good thing to discuss the tech elements? Though you may already know that info, it's good for those that don't know. :)

[quote name='funky8884' timestamp='1399580948' post='2445676']
Barefaced's attempt at doing what a lot of other manufactures have already done ?
[/quote]

I don't know many other sealed 6x10 units on the market, and only one other 2x10 sealed cab and that isn't fantastic.

Pretty certain as much as we all love Barefaced's super science actually we're right website they'd sell even more cabs if they put a few pictures on. Or is it £40 to look at a silver grille cloth?

Back on track, these cabs are the first Barefaced ones that sound like they've got some colour, something I like.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1399659352' post='2446466']
Maybe it is all banter as the people who buy them can't help posting and getting other owners along as cheerleaders in the club.
[/quote]

What banter? I'm not a cheerleader in a club. I bought a Barefaced cab and thought other people may like to hear my views on it, for what they're worth. I don't understand why there is so much negativity about Barefaced. If you're down on them - which you obviously are, for a reason that is still beyond my comprehension - then why do you continue to post in a Barefaced cabs thread? :)

Have you actually tried a Barefaced cab?

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1399665486' post='2446562']
Anyone know what this 'resonator' is all about. Are these cabs actually sealed?
[/quote]

I'm guessing it's either some kind of fancy folded port or a passive radiator of some sort. Or just a regular port with a fancy name. Who knows until Alex chimes in! He's been active on the Talkbass 69'er club thread so I'm sure he'll be along shortly!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='nickademus' timestamp='1399665725' post='2446569']
So why are these modified 10" guitar speakers Alex is using not neo? Cost?
[/quote]

Oh no, another can of worms opened - neo vs ceramic [pulls up comfy chair and sits down] :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1399664519' post='2446540']
What banter? I'm not a cheerleader in a club. I bought a Barefaced cab and thought other people may like to hear my views on it, for what they're worth. I don't understand why there is so much negativity about Barefaced. If you're down on them - which you obviously are, for a reason that is still beyond my comprehension - then why do you continue to post in a Barefaced cabs thread? :)

Have you actually tried a Barefaced cab?
[/quote]

It is just a question of balance. If you were pretty new to the site and you read a few threads you might get the impression that
they were the only cab to have. It is just that there are as many people here who really don't know why there is any fuss at all about them, but they aren't the most vocal.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1399672764' post='2446668']
Are people who bought the 69'er not a bit miffed that it's been side-lined so soon?
[/quote]

Isn't that always the downside to going 'boutique'? Either faster product replacement cycles or worse still the company disappears leaving you with something that depreciates quicker than a quick thing on a quick day.

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1399673261' post='2446674']
Isn't that always the downside to going 'boutique'? Either faster product replacement cycles or worse still the company disappears leaving you with something that depreciates quicker than a quick thing on a quick day.
[/quote]

I'd not be happy if when placing my order I'd not been told about the new improved model that was round the corner.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1399671629' post='2446650']
It is just a question of balance. If you were pretty new to the site and you read a few threads you might get the impression that they were the only cab to have. It is just that there are as many people here who really don't know why there is any fuss at all about them, but they aren't the most vocal.
[/quote]

Maybe the people who really don't know why there is any fuss at all about them haven't tried them.
Have [i]you [/i]tried a Barefaced cab?

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1399665486' post='2446562']
Anyone know what this 'resonator' is all about. Are these cabs actually sealed?
[/quote]

The only 'resonator' design I've come across was a design for an infra-bass cab, capable of single digit Hertz bass response, and for use with hi-fi gear, and originally published in a hi-fi magazine in the late 70s or early 80s.

Something like this:

I can't for one minute think that Alex is doing this sort of thing, but it sounds like there is an unusual resonant cavity/device somewhere in the new design.

Edited by ShergoldSnickers

[quote name='nickademus' timestamp='1399665725' post='2446569']
So why are these modified 10" guitar speakers Alex is using not neo? Cost?
[/quote]

More than likely, for a few years china has been hoarding Neodymium(to my knowledge at least) so that's what originally drove forward the the gen 3 cabs. I don't know if the driver in the gen 3 stuff is ceramic, neo or ferrite but I really dig mine regardless.