Why become a member? ×

Oasis for Glastonbury?

The Admiral

I'm guessing people will have heard about this rumour :

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/oasis-for-glastonbury-2014-reunion-rumours-reignited-following-liam-gallaghers-cryptic-twitter-post-9285204.html

It's gone from a few whispers to a rumoured £500m world tour in pretty short order. Paper talk of course.

That aside, I can see why Liam might possibly want to do it, as without the publishing cash his brother enjoys, he might be running low - but why would Noël want to step back into what is effectively becoming a nostalgia act - 20 years on from Britpop? Maybe there is unfinished business? Maybe it's all just a wind up?

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1398594737' post='2435527']
Wonder, if it does happen, will they go for the last line-up, or the "classic" line-up - as in, when they were massive in `96?
[/quote]

The guy from Rides quite a good bass player, but I'm sure a few on here would do a great job for 90% less wages

Emily Eavis has denied the rumours categorically which almost always means it's not going to happen. Even if they were to do it Glastonbury isn't the kind of festival you do for financial gain, at least not in an up front payment. C.D sales usually skyrocket but Liam wouldn't benefit so much from that because his name is only on about one or two of the writing credits.

Metallica still slated heavily for Saturday night headline slot which I couldn't be less excited to see if I tried so I'll most likely be elsewhere watching something a lot better!

Glastonbury is a line-up that will pretty much happen not matter who is on the bill.
I could see them doing it but it only makes sense on the back of something else..like
a huge grossing world tour and then it depends who NEEDS to do that most.
Sounds like Liam G has major sucking to do with his brother.
Can he hold that together long enough..??

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1398618189' post='2435791']

Metallica still slated heavily for Saturday night headline slot which I couldn't be less excited to see if I tried so I'll most likely be elsewhere watching something a lot better!
[/quote]

Like down the local watching any pub band play Sex on fire!

I'd LOVE to see Oasis.

I'm a big fan of the band, especially the songwriting itself. We can all comment on the band members, but lets face it, Noel and Liam create one of the best song writing teams (mainly Noel but you needs Liam's voice with a lot of it) this country has ever produced. No, they aren't Lennon/McCartney, but for that era, these guys really did set a new level of amazing songs, album after album.

FYI - The B sides Oasis write are some of the best I've ever heard. Round Are Way/Acquiesce/Let's All Make Believe. You just don't get decent B-sides from modern bands now...

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1398618710' post='2435797']
Like down the local watching any pub band play Sex on fire!
[/quote]

Aye! Not to offend the Metallica fans of course, but to me they're so uninspiring and don't belong anywhere near that Pyramid Stage, not in any traditional Glastonbury sense. But then the whole experience was never meant to be about the headliners!

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1398549575' post='2435246']It's gone from a few whispers to a rumoured £500m world tour in pretty short order.[/quote]
Oasis wouldn't get anywhere near close to generating £500 million gross from a reunion tour. The Police reunion tour generate circa $350 million, and in the process became the seventh biggest grossing tour recorded. That was 2007/08, crossing over with Oasis in its heyday, when it played its longest tour, a tour which failed to break the $100 million mark. And taking into account £500 million is $840 million, that would be $100 million higher than the highest grossing tour ever recorded (staged by U2).

Edited by noelk27

I for one would like to see them return.

Britain needs some rock stars to give it large, as they say.

Example:

Radiohead make an album and offer it for sale for what you think it`s worth.

Noel says, I`m giving f**k all away for free. Do you have any idea how much Abbey road studio cost to hire for a day?

Arrogant, loud mouthed and rip off merchants but honest with it.

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1398632948' post='2436098']

Example:

Noel says, I`m giving f**k all away for free. Do you have any idea how much Abbey road studio cost to hire for a day?

[/quote]

For some reason the Gallagher attitude just cracks me up. Funny guys who just don't take any crap.

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1398632948' post='2436098']

Example:

[/quote]

Yes, Thatcher would've been so proud.

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1398630221' post='2436041']

Oasis wouldn't get anywhere near close to generating £500 million gross from a reunion tour. The Police reunion tour generate circa $350 million, and in the process became the seventh biggest grossing tour recorded. That was 2007/08, crossing over with Oasis in its heyday, when it played its longest tour, a tour which failed to break the $100 million mark. And taking into account £500 million is $840 million, that would be $100 million higher than the highest grossing tour ever recorded (staged by U2).
[/quote]

No question the numbers don't add up. As I said, paper talk, and the one who needs it the least is Noël, although the "it might never happen again" factor might actually increase the take beyond even what they earned at their height.

Hope it never happens, I was never a fan but I kinda like Noel & would like to hope he has a bit of pride & integrity alongside his razor wit & negligible songwriting skills!

Liam & the other original members were a bunch of neanderthal knuckledraggers who would have struggled to get a gig in their local boozer if not for Noel.

Jon.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1398633378' post='2436106']
For some reason the Gallagher attitude just cracks me up. Funny guys who just don't take any crap.
[/quote]

Quite. Trouble is, we prefer our heroes to be faux-modest and pasteurised and self-editing and a teeny bit handwringing. What comes across to some as arrogance is simply ordinary blokes speaking their mind. Though they're more like the rest of us than most 'stars', some people think they're upstart rich chavs and hate them accordingly.

Even so, the band produced some of the most enjoyable music of a drab decade and sold a bundle. Good luck to them.

I'd be really surprised if Metallica played Glastonbury. When asked if he would ever book the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Michael Eavis was quoted as saying that "heavy metal has no place at Glastonbury". If he thinks the Chili's are metal, Metallica have no chance.

It all seems so corporate now. Wouldn't be surprised if Metallica played there one day.
If they did, they would rock the place out . IMHO .

Suppose super grass /suede./pulp could do it.
If it's someone I really care about , I'd get the DVD .
Glastonbury is all miss and hit to me .
Btw; oasis would've been great there tho '