Why become a member? ×

I think i've made a big mistake

paul j h

Hi All,

I have just returned to the wild and wacky world of bass, bought my vintage Precision, and have been looking out for a suitable amp. Currently I only play at home but this may change but not for ages. I have bought an Ashdown Klystron 575 watt combo on a whim, obviously huge and very loud, which I collect tomorrow, I have been using a small Crate 50 watt amp in the mean time and have realised that in truth I don't actually need much more volume. My question is will the Ashdown still be useable at home volume levels or does it need to be cranked?

Neighbours are not a problem, we live in a detached stone cottage with about 18 inch thick walls. Is that right though 500 watts is only twice as loud as 50? surely not, if so I am really looking forward to trying this tomorrow, I thought it would be complete overkill. I will post an update sometime tomorrow evening. Cheers for the replies guys. Paul.

[quote name='paul j h' timestamp='1396878421' post='2418248']
Is that right though 500 watts is only twice as loud as 50?
[/quote]

In pure mathematical terms, yes; you need to x10 to get x2 volume. However, in real terms it will sound way louder than twice your existing 50w. The other thing to take into consideration is speaker numbers and their sensitivity. ;)

[quote name='paul j h' timestamp='1396878421' post='2418248']...500 watts is only twice as loud as 50? surely not...[/quote]

That's rather much an over-simplification; you'll find out when you try it out what the [i]real [/i]volume is. 50w, 500w or whatever can only be compared if all other factors are equal (same cab, same room, whatever...) and is of no practical use. One can safely say that the average 50w amp will not be able to be as loud as an average 500w amp, but that's all.
500w is no big deal, either. It's the signal supplied and the gain/volume knobs that determine how loud it is. Turn it up until it's loud enough and that's it. Who cares if that's 50, 500 or 5000 watts..? Use your ears to judge, and have fun. Don't ignore warnings about protecting your hearing, of course, if you're playing [i]really [/i]loud.

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1396881171' post='2418306']
I use my 900W Genz heads in the house and I only gig in an orchestra so I never get to crank them. But they sound amazing.
[/quote]

This - I use my 500 Fusion in the house too. Get the sound with the gain and moderate the overall volume with the master.
That's what they're there for, isn't it..? ;)

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1396869368' post='2418097']
I'd not worry at all; you can get as good a sound at house volume as you can cranked. TBH you are better off having all of that extra headroom in case you get to a situation where you are playing with a loud drummer and you have no PA support. ;)
[/quote]

+ to this reply
If you end up finding other musicians sooner than you currently anticipate
You're ready to be up & running straight away...

It is 10x the watts to get twice the volume. That's going on using the same spec'd cab though
Watts means very little on its own in relation to volume (decibels). How much air the speakers can move & how well the cab around them has been designed are the important factors.

As others say you can set the volume as you wish. However for me the cooling fans on Ashdown &[b] other makes of amp[/b] that are on all the time are too loud for home or low volume studio use. Not just the fan mechanics but the air they suck in. Not an issue in a band environment.

Edited by Sonic_Groove

Hi I got the amp home yesterday, I had a brief play, there is no issues with the fan (fans X 4) I believe. The amp sounds great, my worry about the volume is not an issue anymore as others have said I just use the volume controls. The only issue is when punching in the drive control and using the amp with the drive activated there is a noticeable hum, this is not present when using the amp with just a clean tone. Any ideas? I am not that technically minded so in plain English please. Cheers Paul.

[quote name='paul j h' timestamp='1397032552' post='2419834']...the drive activated there is a noticeable hum, this is not present when using the amp with just a clean tone. Any ideas?...[/quote]

Good afternoon, Paul...

Do you get this 'hum' if you try the same but with nothing plugged in..? When the hum is present, unplug the jack from the input socket; is the hum gone, or still there..? If the hum is gone, it's your bass (or cable...) that's picking up the hum. If the hum remains, it's inherent to the amp, and will be difficult to get rid of. I don't have any knowledge of this specific amp, but the first test is to see if it's inside the amp or coming from outside. What's the verdict..?

[quote name='paul j h' timestamp='1397032552' post='2419834']
Hi I got the amp home yesterday, I had a brief play, there is no issues with the fan (fans X 4) I believe. The amp sounds great, my worry about the volume is not an issue anymore as others have said I just use the volume controls. The only issue is when punching in the drive control and using the amp with the drive activated there is a noticeable hum, this is not present when using the amp with just a clean tone. Any ideas? I am not that technically minded so in plain English please. Cheers Paul.
[/quote]

When the drive is engaged that brings the 12AX7 in the pre amp into play so could be that thats on the way out and being noisy so that would be the first thing to look at, the amp will be a few years old so swapping out for a new one should help... If that doesn't help feel free to give us a shout on 01245 441155 and have a chat to Guy

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1396881572' post='2418316']
This - I use my 500 Fusion in the house too. Get the sound with the gain and moderate the overall volume with the master.
That's what they're there for, isn't it..? ;)
[/quote]

How do you manage it? I find it deafeningly loud with the master on as low as it'll go (any lower and it doesn't register a signal). Perhaps I should just use one channel instead of the tube/fet blend (but then it doesn't sound right!)
Tips appreciated!

[quote name='72deluxe' timestamp='1397145035' post='2421158']
How do you manage it? I find it deafeningly loud with the master on as low as it'll go (any lower and it doesn't register a signal). Perhaps I should just use one channel instead of the tube/fet blend (but then it doesn't sound right!)
Tips appreciated!
[/quote]

I'm sorry, you'll have to speak up a bit... :biggrin:

Seriously though I can get down to a usable 'house' volume. Are you referring to your Shuttle? If so, I have no experience of that amp, but sounds like if you're using two channels simultaneously you may find it harder to keep the SPLs down.

OR you could always turn down at the bass? :)

Edited by discreet