Why become a member? ×

I cut a string too short, but found a solution!!!!!!

tommorichards

So, one of my bass strings snapped, so i got a new set to put on them, dunlops i think. But anyway, alls well, ive cut the strings, wound them on, then i start tuning them. E tunes fine, A tunes fine, then i get to the D. As i tune it, im winding the machinehead, and the note is staying the same. I look up, and the string is pulling out of the machinehead as i wind it. Basically the string is under too much tension before it can properly grip the tuning post.

So i look up what to do if i make it too short online, and i come across this thread on talkbass: [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f16/cut-my-d-string-too-short-193490/"]http://www.talkbass....o-short-193490/[/url]

Basically, one poster mentions that he uses a sheep bend with an old string!!! Like thie picture below shows.

Im skeptical, but i tried it, and lo and behold....

It works. As i tuned it up, i saw the knot tighten, and now it seems to be holding. Im made up as i was quite annoyed when this happened. But so far it seems like its working, and from a few responses on talkbass, it seems to hold really well. Ill probably buy a new D string, but for now, i think its alright hahahaha.

So thanks, internet. And i posted this to let more people know that there is something they can do!

Edited by tommorichards
  • Haha 1

It's an interesting fix, but since I saw one of our guitarist's strings break and go straight through his finger I've been super-careful where strings are concerned - even though bass strings are lower tension. Just one of those things I get squeamish about, like, er... snoods. Or nipple-rings. There, I've said it.

Edited by discreet

It's the kind of knot that works better the more pressure it has on it. I know it's not on the speaking length of the string but does it not effect the sound of the string?

A guitar shop I used to work in had a bloke come in one day screaming and ranting that he was going to sue the shop owner. His son had bought a set of bass strings and when he tried fitting them he over wound by an octave. The E string broke and went right through his cheek!

I have never had a string break like that, in fact I have only ever had a couple break at all, but normally it's just the core that goes and the winds keep it from flying about.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1396013250' post='2409021']
It's the kind of knot that works better the more pressure it has on it. I know it's not on the speaking length of the string but does it not effect the sound of the string?

[/quote]

Well, ive been playing on it all day, and i cant say it does affect the sound. I love a fresh set of bass strings.

[quote name='tommorichards' timestamp='1396111259' post='2410059']
Its the vintage reissue series, V96. Sounds exactly like a jazz should.

[/quote]

Nice - I do like the Vintage stuff, although my Vintage 'ray copy needed a change of preamp to sound anything ray like. I like the idea of their Precision copy the v4.

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1396116595' post='2410136']
Buy new strings man. You can get cheap sets on ebay. I would never repair a short string. The hassle involved is too much for me :unsure:
[/quote]

to be honest, the hassle involved in tying a knot is much simpler than purchasing an entire new set of strings and waiting for them to arrive. Ill see how long this holds out for haha

[quote name='tommorichards' timestamp='1396134229' post='2410384']
to be honest, the hassle involved in tying a knot is much simpler than purchasing an entire new set of strings and waiting for them to arrive. Ill see how long this holds out for haha
[/quote]

Rather you than me. I'd find it like the Sword of Damocles hanging over my head. :)

I don't see the problem if it doesn't effect sound. Why waste a string if it actually works? Unless I was having to use it live and it was my only Bass, then I would be more inclined to replace it, if I had the money, probably best not to tempt fate when there are band members and an audience to please.

When i started out and skint i relied on these repairs, even gigged with them. I had no choice, times were too hard to think of a new set, plus a long bus ride to the nearest shop, new strings were birthday or christmas materials. A great way out of a spot. I'm a tad more selective these days.

Edited by Buzzardist

[Dons golden underpants and starts singing/squawking]

The sword of Damocles is hanging over my head
And I've got the feeling someone's gonna be cutting the thread
Oh, woe is me, my life is a misery
Oh, can't you see that I'm at the start of a pretty big downer!?

[shuts up]

Edited by KingBollock
  • Like 1

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1396202011' post='2410926']
[Dons golden underpants and starts singing/squawking]

The sword of Damocles is hanging over my head
And I've got the feeling someone's gonna be cutting the thread
Oh, woe is me, my life is a misery
Oh, can't you see that I'm at the start of a pretty big downer!?
[/quote]

That's... nice.