Why become a member? ×

Using beer as a leading indicator

Happy Jack

I've spent a fair chunk of the last year or two visiting pubs on the hunt for gigs for the Junkyard Dogs. I haven't actually kept count of the pubs I've visited in that time (entirely in the name of research and marketing, you understand) but I suspect that it's now drifting towards three figures.

That doesn't make me some sort of expert, but it does mean that I've had enough time and experience to reach one conclusion. It is possible [i][b]within 30 seconds of entering a pub for the first time[/b][/i] to assess whether or not it is a pub I will enjoy playing, and[i][b] I don't even need to speak to a member of the staff[/b][/i].

How is this possible? What is the magic that enables me to do this?

Beer.

The one stand-out correlation IME between a [[b][color=#00ff00]good, happy music pub with a decent crowd[/color][/b]] and a [[color=#a52a2a]bad, dour music pub with three men and a dog[/color]] is whether or not they have a selection of decent draft bitters on tap.

Walk into a pub where all the brand-tabs on the pump-handles are turned away from you and all they have is bottled Newcastle Brown Ale, and you may as well turn around and walk out again.

Walk into a pub with a choice of three or more decent beers (lager doesn't count, alright?), preferably including Timothy Taylors, and you've found a pub worth trying to get a gig at.

The grey area in the middle is walking into a pub which only sells Doombar on draft. Judging by the astonishing number of pubs now selling this uber-bland concoction, Sharps ([i]actually Molson/Coors, for those who take an interest in this sort of thing[/i]) have clearly adopted a very aggressive marketing/pricing policy which might in its own way be an indicator of a failing pub.

Please note that this has nothing at all to do with beer snobbery, and the fact that I personally prefer to drink well-kept draft bitter. I genuinely believe that this correlation stands up to scrutiny.

I can dream up a number of 'Just So' stories to explain why this might be the case, as I imagine can all of you, but I won't burden you with any right now.

What do you think? Are you the gig-getter for your band? Does this strike a chord with you?

Oddly enough, I had arrived at a similar theory. Though, I would like to test it more extensively, because I think there's another factor, and that's the preferences of the crowd. Which is to say, there's also a very strong overlap between the people who like a well-kept pint of ale, and the people who enjoy classic rock and/or blues-rock.

I won't pretend that every pub Cherry White plays is awash with beautiful cask beers from around the country - in fact, I think our next two London dates are in boozers which only have bottled ales (albeit a wider selection that just Newky Brown)! Nevertheless, your theory doesn't so much strike a chord as a full-on Pete Townshend windmill.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1394713176' post='2394263']...What do you think? Are you the gig-getter for your band? Does this strike a chord with you?
[/quote]

I'm not going to get far with my 'Earl Grey' scale then, am I..? Teabag or leaf..? Porcelain pot or in the cup..? Slice of lemon or juice from plastic squeezy..? Damned..! :(

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1394714979' post='2394299']
I'm not going to get far with my 'Earl Grey' scale then, am I..? Teabag or leaf..? Porcelain pot or in the cup..? Slice of lemon or juice from plastic squeezy..? Damned..! :(
[/quote]

You'll just have to start booking in Manchester: best of both worlds http://www.marblebeers.com/our-beers/earl-grey-ipa/

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1394715057' post='2394301']
You'll just have to start booking in Manchester: best of both worlds [url="http://www.marblebeers.com/our-beers/earl-grey-ipa/"]http://www.marblebee.../earl-grey-ipa/[/url]
[/quote]

What a waste of good tea..! ([i]Shudders[/i]...) :o Almost as bad as putting in milk..! Thanks for the info, though; I've learnt something today. B)

From doing a quick mental survey of the pubs around here I think I agree.

Well-run, thriving pub that's rising to the challenge of the changing market = pub that keeps and serves decent beer.

Said pubs are the ones that good to do business with. Whether that's music, holding another kind of function or whatever.

I think it's all down to good management vs. poor management.

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1394715057' post='2394301']
You'll just have to start booking in Manchester: best of both worlds [url="http://www.marblebeers.com/our-beers/earl-grey-ipa/"]http://www.marblebee.../earl-grey-ipa/[/url]
[/quote]

Gross! Though I think it would make quite a decent enema liquid. :crazy:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1394716600' post='2394327']
[/quote]

Thinking of which... I also believe that the state of the toilets are a good pub indicator. I hate pubs with 'orrible loos. Not sure if that correlates to 'gigabilty' though, since we hardly get any gigs!

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1394716805' post='2394331']
I also believe that the state of the toilets are a good pub indicator.
[/quote]

If you can check out the state of the loos within 30 seconds of entering the pub, you're likely to be greeted with "[i][b]Oi! You buying a drink or what?[/b][/i]" as you leave them ...

:lol:

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1394718033' post='2394358']
If you can check out the state of the loos within 30 seconds of entering the pub, you're likely to be greeted with "[i][b]Oi! You buying a drink or what?[/b][/i]" as you leave them ...

[/quote]
To which you reply: "Oh, I'm sorry, I was looking for your events manager...I'm used to playing the Camden toilet circuit, you see..."

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1394715423' post='2394309']
What a waste of good tea..! ([i]Shudders[/i]...) :o Almost as bad as putting in milk..! Thanks for the info, though; I've learnt something today. B)
[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1394716600' post='2394327']
[/quote]

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it! Bergamot and high alpha hops complement each other surprisingly well, at least in this case. (Though I'm guessing Dad's not a huge lover of beer in the first place...)

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1394725126' post='2394473']...(Though I'm guessing Dad's not a huge lover of beer in the first place...)
[/quote]

[URL=http://www.smileyvault.com/][IMG]http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/CBSA/smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-animated-041.gif[/IMG][/URL]

(...[i]although I have been tempted in the past by a weak shandy on a really, really hot day[/i]... B) )

I think you are right with that theory. Any pub that takes care to select good hand pulls that punters like to drink will bring in people looking for more than a really cheap beer (working mens / cons club for that) or fancy alcopop type stuff. It means they know the market, their customer base, and take time to get it right.

The other comment about toilets really strikes a chord. I have a friend with a pretty good restaurant in London, and he says that the toilets, cellars and kitchens are one of the same in any establishment. If they cannot be bothered to clean and maintain the toilets (the bits the punters see) then you can be sure they are not cleaning the bits they can't see! Toilets=cellars=kitchens, and from my experiences I think it is generally true.

Cheers,
Rich

I can possibly guage if it is a pub I'm going to enjoy playing in fairly quickly but that hasn't much correlation with if its a venue that the band are going to go down well in. We play a lot of stuff that goes down with the 'Oasis loving football crowd'. They tend to be lager drinkers on the whole (since we are in sweeping generalisation mode) so the presence of a decent range of draught ales isn't much concern to them. I wouldn't be seen dead drinking in one of the places we play (and are popular in) every month. I'm always driving to a gig anyway so the chance to have any noticeable amount of drink becomes a moot point.

Things I look for are playing area...and if they are serious about the music they put on, so I will check out the rosta
and also whether it is the sort of place we'd invite people to...

If they fail on any of that criteria, we aren't going to play there..

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1394732744' post='2394601']
Things I look for are playing area...and if they are serious about the music they put on, so I will check out the rosta
and also whether it is the sort of place we'd invite people to...

If they fail on any of that criteria, we aren't going to play there..
[/quote]

This is more like it for me too. I look at who else they book and if they have decent bands week in week out then it makes me really want to play there. If they only put a band on once in a blue moon when they are looking to boost that month's takings then forget it. Also if they do what many pubs round here do and have their mates band or their brother's wife's cousin's son's band or some of the really cheap local acts then I'll give it a miss thanks.

I think rosta is pretty important as a) you know what certain bands work for, and therefore you know the pubs pay model,
and b,) good rosta maintains passing trade, as people will come on spec and give new bands the benefit of the doubt
as they assume they are of a certain standard.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='Diablo' timestamp='1394728657' post='2394538']
I think you are right with that theory. Any pub that takes care to select good hand pulls that punters like to drink will bring in people looking for more than a really cheap beer (working mens / cons club for that) or fancy alcopop type stuff. It means they know the market, their customer base, and take time to get it right.

The other comment about toilets really strikes a chord. I have a friend with a pretty good restaurant in London, and he says that the toilets, cellars and kitchens are one of the same in any establishment. If they cannot be bothered to clean and maintain the toilets (the bits the punters see) then you can be sure they are not cleaning the bits they can't see! Toilets=cellars=kitchens, and from my experiences I think it is generally true.

Cheers,
Rich
[/quote]

[attachment=157516:cbgbstoilet_lg.jpg]

;)