Why become a member? ×

Jenny Haan sings with The Wirebirds

FinnDave

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1393680610' post='2383280']
Where is Betafunk? I seem to remember he has got a bit of a thing for that girl from Babe Ruth. I just hope he is prepared for what the ravages of time can do.
[/quote]
Yes indeed. I saw Babe Ruth a few times on the college circuit in the 70s and they were always good value. A really good hardworking band with a cracking singer. What could be better? Happy days. :D

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1393703205' post='2383601']
Small world, tomorrow I'm playing with Ed Spevock, Babe Ruth's drummer from 1973.
[/quote]
I'll mention that to Jenny. I know the band is playing at a festival in the States this summer.

Just listened to my recording from last night, sound quality was not good, combination of a booming hollow stage and house PA not quite up to the job, but that voice comes through clearly....makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up every time she goes for those high notes. Most of the audience had no idea who she was, and were clearly stunned to hear a voice of that quality in their pub!

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1393697920' post='2383524']
That clip doesn't do them justice. Here's Jenny and Babe Ruth at probably their finest.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyPKee16zdY[/media]
[/quote]

That's the finest Hammond sound ever to be produced on a grand piano ...

We did a gig last year where the back line was supplied. The keyboard player was very surprised to find a midi socket on the Yamaha baby grand and plugged in his Hammond module.

A grand piano sounding like a C3 through a Leslie was weird but worked just fine.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1393775835' post='2384194']
1994/Headpins? Haven't heard that name in yonks. Now must check spotify.
[/quote]

Not sure that is the same Karen Lawrence? The one I have in mind fronts(or fronted) Blue by Nature, sort of country-style blues band. Thinking about it, she is unlikely to be in a kitchen anywhere in England, and is probably 10 years too young, but certainly got the pipes to qualify. Without wishing to hijack the thread, here is Ms Lawrence swaying her hips rather interestingly and generally giving it some welly. :)
http://youtu.be/sqx-1ME6rxo

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1393781829' post='2384312']
Not sure that is the same Karen Lawrence? The one I have in mind fronts(or fronted) Blue by Nature, sort of country-style blues band. Thinking about it, she is unlikely to be in a kitchen anywhere in England, and is probably 10 years too young, but certainly got the pipes to qualify. Without wishing to hijack the thread, here is Ms Lawrence swaying her hips rather interestingly and generally giving it some welly. :)
[media]http://youtu.be/sqx-1ME6rxo[/media]
[/quote]

KIck arse singer .....................and band, come to that.

Good one.

Never would have guessed Jenny Haan as BR were one of those bands that passed me by, the only reason I know of them is that they get mentioned in relation to Bernie Marsden but didn't know any other band memebrs by name. Not sure i have anything by them in my collection either, might try and get hold of a 'best of' is such a thing exists. Glad the gig went well, a decent singer up front is half the battle.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1393838257' post='2384737']
KIck arse singer .....................and band, come to that.

Good one.
[/quote]
That is Karen Lawrence from the band 1994 …. great voice and rather nice to look at too , if I may be so bold :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1393856355' post='2385052']
This was more-or-less required listening in 75/76.

That first number still rustles the hairs on the back of me neck ...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWTcTNwiT60[/media]
[/quote]

Her voice still does that me, listening now to a recording Saturday's gig.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1393850667' post='2384942']
Never would have guessed Jenny Haan as BR were one of those bands that passed me by, the only reason I know of them is that they get mentioned in relation to Bernie Marsden but didn't know any other band memebrs by name.[/quote]

Funnily enough the last line-up with Marsden had a different singer, Ellie Hope. From a pop act, Liquid Gold. Not v good.