Why become a member? ×

I just don't get it.......but I'm willing to learn

Roland Rock

**This post is not meant to upset anyone, just a genuine attempt to understand something that I don't get**

There are several musical acts who seem to have a fanatical or cult following, but I just don't get them at all. Two examples below. Please can people tell me, with suggestions for listening material (as I really only know the famous songs) why the following are so well respected in music circles:

Bruce Springsteen - In my very limited experience of Mr S, it's just a bloke in double denim croaking lots of words into a microphone over average rock music. What am I missing? Why is he sooo popular among music lovers?

The Ramones - I get that they helped spearhead the punk movement, and that their short fast songs were a breath of fresh air in a time of bloated musical excess, but is that enough? The songs I know are semi-catchy, and TBH all a bit samey. Did you have to be there?

Of course I understand that not all music is for everyone, but there are some acts that seem to be so revered that I wonder if I'm missing out

I'll be taking this seriously, and intend to take any constructive responses on board, and listen to your suggestions.

Thanks

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1393371012' post='2379581']
Is there a band you're fanatical about?
[/quote]

Of course there are bands/artists that I'm really into (not fanatical) but they're a bit more niche, and tend not to be the sort that are universally lauded by music critics and the like.

I looked online for bands with the most fanatical/cult followings. A few I don't know, but for most of the others, I may not be into their music, but I can at least understand why they have such a profound effect on some people.

Not so with the examples in the OP

Edited by Roland Rock

i think there is something to learn, i was never into Bob Dillon, thought he was an bad singer, just didn't get it. then i listened to his lyrics and then realised what all the fuss was about. you like what you like, but there is so much amazing music out there that doesn't necessarily hit your buttons initially.

you can't like everything, but you can certainly make the effort. i know this, if you do, it will make you a better musician.

Edited by bubinga5

In the case of Bruce Springsteen, his albums between "Born to Run" & "Live 75-85" are classics (IMO). Great songwriting, great playing by a band that has a sound that doesn't sound like any other band I can think of.

If it doesn't float your boat, it's no biggie - we're all different when it comes to our tastes in music...

I wouldn't worry about it. There's no reason why you should like popular artists. You've obviously listened to enough of their material to have given it a fair shot and it hasn't clicked so just move on and find something else you can really enjoy.

I'm sure we could all name very popular bands that we just 'don't get'. Radiohead would be one of my examples and the regular Beatles threads on here prove that even the most popular band in music history (yeah, ok, but give me a bit of slack on this one ;) ) have plenty of people who don't really 'get them' as well as people who downright don't like them in any respect.

It's all subjective.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1393371303' post='2379585']
Of course there are bands/artists that I'm really into (not fanatical) but they're a bit more niche, and tend not to be the sort that are universally lauded by music critics and the like.

I looked online for bands with the most fanatical/cult followings. A few I don't know, but for most of the others, I may not be into their music, but I can at least understand why they have such a profound effect on some people.

Not so with the examples in the OP
[/quote]

Springsteen spoke about working people in the USA, they felt he represented them. Rush got their break with Working Man, people identified with the lyrics. It can be as simple as that, one line in a song that resonates with a lot of people. You have to tap into common thoughts to be REALLY successful. Couple that with a good melody, or a certain sound and attitude and emotion, and people will respond.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1393372863' post='2379601']
Maybe I should have kept it simple like your Beatles thread Nige, "Noob seeks education"
[/quote]

I still don't get the Beatles mate. Nothing about what they did speaks to me or moves me. It has little to do with the music.

I have never got Springsteen either. But then I never got/like the Stones, pink Floyd either. As others have posted no biggie, I give everything a listen & somethings stay with you, others you move away from. One of my faves is the mars Volta, raved about them to a mate & Lent him 1st album, his reaction was WTF was that sh1t!
The fool! ;-)

never really got the ramones (although dont dislike them per se) but the 'being there' apsect is a major factor i believe

i dont get over excited by srpingsteens latest material but i still recall with my tape recorder memory every single friggin bar in minute detail of the born to run album from when it was originally released in late 70s and the only reason i dont play my vinyl copy is because i dont have a working turntable at the moment :)

although i dont consider myself a major springsteen fan i would still concede that he deserves his kudos just on the strength of that one album alone - may contain traces of nuts etc

[media]http://youtu.be/Hwkt6L_vY-I[/media]

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1393407624' post='2379764']
simple as this, yup.
[/quote]

yup definitely this - you either like or you dont

being a miserable old cynic i would go as far as saying im not even prepared to consider investing the time to learn in some circumstances- personallly i cannot stand just about most things that have the 'metal' or 'rap' label attached to it and personal experience tells me is not worth going there to even check it out 99% of the time so why waste the time - i think of it as musical investment versus time management :)

your mileage may vary etc

Nothing is universally adored and everything is cool only to a minority (a full stadium fourteen nights in a row is still a minority, when you think about it as a percentage of the listening population). It is just a case of whether that minority is large enough or sufficiently vocal to create the illusion of universality. Ethnomusicologically speaking (say that with a mouthful of Rolos), music has a role in people's lives that is defined by them and their circumstances. For those who 'connect' with Springsteen, or The Grateful Dead, or Phish, or The Enid it can simply be about 'belonging to something'. The music arguably matters less that the baggage that goes with it. In my experience, most widely available music has some merit if you listen to it enough (I quite like the Dixie Chicks, the Stranglers, the Cure etc - I just don't prefer them to the things I REALLY like).

I think Springsteen has done some nice stuff, the Ramones I don't like (never 'got' Punk, really - the Stranglers are just a Prog band with swearing). The Stones and Floyd do nothing for me. The Beatles are ok and there are some gems in their catalogue but I have no urge to listen to them and I never got the John Lennon thing at all etc. I occasionally listen to albums listed amongst the 1001 albums you 'must listen to before you die' and mostly find them uninspiring. There is no homogeneity; we all like what we like and can't 'get' everything. It is the nature of the medum. Sometimes it is about what grabs you at a certain point in your life. Marilyn Manson grabbed a certain demographic but most of those kids will 'grow out of their angst' (if they haven't shot up their university and then turned the gun on themselves - :yarrr:). Most of us have a nostalgic soft spot for the bands we loved as teenagers but it all moves on and we change. Hence, those who loved the Ramones in the 70s would not love the Ramones in 2014 just as those who liked Prog the first time around may not be grabbed by Spock's Beard - because they are 50 not 15.

I saw Uli Jon Roth and Michael Schenker recently (separate gigs) and was amused by the hundreds (not thousands as it used to be) of denim and leather clad 'dinosaurs' in attendance - those that had hair were grey :lol: It really is horses for courses.

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1393409568' post='2379794']
yup definitely this - you either like or you dont

being a miserable old cynic i would go as far as saying im not even prepared to consider investing the time to learn in some circumstances- personallly i cannot stand just about most things that have the 'metal' or 'rap' label attached to it and personal experience tells me is not worth going there to even check it out 99% of the time so why waste the time - i think of it as musical investment versus time management :)

your mileage may vary etc
[/quote]

I'm the same as this - I've barely got time to listen to the stuff I want to listen to, let alone wade through a load of genres that past experience tells me it's pretty certain I'm not going to like.
The list of genres I won't bother even attempting to listen to is large, and includes music I loved for years but now just cannot listen too for some reason.
If this makes me narrow minded or whatever then so be it.

Good thread!
I agree that there's no magic ingredient with Springsteen and the Ramones. Springsteen wrote some good lyrics that connected with his audience, and the Ramones have fun short catchy songs that I like when I'm in the mood - the Misfits do a similar job with OTT B-movie shtick. I understand neither are anything special musically and that's fine.

I'd like to think that I 'get' Elvis, but I don't enjoy his music. Plenty of people do and I'm glad for them.

I'm always considered mad when I say that the Beatles do nothing for me - any era - just leaves me cold. Glad I'm not alone!

Springsteen I've always found a little bombastic - quite like his first two albums, less so after. It's funny, I know someone who's really a big fan of his, guy of about 30. Whereas as I am 39 - the gap he missed of the Boss was the era where I first heard him, the massive Born In The USA time, where he was inescapable! Just a few years difference and he sees Bruce in a different way to me.

Ramones I do like, well, their first five studio albums anyway (up to and including 'End Of The Century'). Afterwards, can't stand it. Jumped the shark in a massive fashion with a series of total stinkers. :o[size=4] [/size]

Can't stand Springsteen personally, I think it's overwrought overblown shouty Americana, really horrible cliched music which just makes me cringe... but that's just me. I wouldn't waste time trying to 'get' it...life's too short. I happen love Zappa (well most of it) but I understand why lots of folk don't... vive la difference, as they say.

Edited by JellyKnees

Fair enough. Just to clarify, I'm not necessarily trying to like this music, just understand the appeal. For example, other than singing along to Copa Cabana when it comes on the radio, I'm not into Barry Manilow at all. However, I can see why he has hoards of (mostly middle-aged lady) fans, I can understand the appeal.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1393409612' post='2379797']
I saw Uli Jon Roth and Michael Schenker recently (separate gigs) and was amused by the hundreds (not thousands as it used to be) of denim and leather clad 'dinosaurs' in attendance - those that had hair were grey :lol: It really is horses for courses.
[/quote]

Ha, ha, this.
Our last gig supporting Carl Palmer was likened by a friend to a Time Team Dig due to the amount of grey pony tails in the audience!

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1393415335' post='2379882']
Just to clarify, I'm not necessarily trying to like this music, just understand the appeal.
[/quote]

Why do you want or need to understand the appeal?
You know it does nothing for you, isn't that enough?
I'm genuinely curious.