Why become a member? ×

I just don't get it.......but I'm willing to learn

Roland Rock

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1393414016' post='2379859']
I'm always considered mad when I say that the Beatles do nothing for me - any era - just leaves me cold. Glad I'm not alone!

Springsteen I've always found a little bombastic - quite like his first two albums
[/quote]

+1, plus 'Ghost of Tom Joad' and 'Nebraska'. The rest is stadium rock.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1393409612' post='2379797']
Nothing is universally adored and everything is cool only to a minority (a full stadium fourteen nights in a row is still a minority, when you think about it as a percentage of the listening population). It is just a case of whether that minority is large enough or sufficiently vocal to create the illusion of universality.
[/quote]

Yes, it's easy for a self-selected bunch of BCers to forget that music is a 'minority sport' when considered across the entire population.

A UK number one hit single seems to need around 100,000 sales . . . not a lot compared to 22 million households and 65m people.

http://www.buzzjack.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=161442&st=0&start=0

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1393377559' post='2379634']

I still don't get the Beatles mate. Nothing about what they did speaks to me or moves me. It has little to do with the music.
[/quote]

It helps if you were alive in the 60s.....if not I guess a lot of the Beatles may not resonate with you. I never understood George Formby.....

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1393419859' post='2379959']

Why do you want or need to understand the appeal?
You know it does nothing for you, isn't that enough?
I'm genuinely curious.
[/quote]

I suppose it's a bit like trying to understand peoples' reasons for voting. I may never vote for the Conservatives, but I still see value in understanding why so many people do; it tells me something about widely-held opinions about wealth distribution, welfare, community etc., and ultimately more about the state of the country and the people in it.

Similarly, if there are reasons for liking certain music that I'm unaware of, I'd like to know to better my understanding. Was it popular because it hit during a recession, and people love the angry lyrics because they're pissed off about the same things? Was the band genuinely different to everything else at the time? It all helps create a better understanding of music and how it fits into peoples' lives.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1393421691' post='2379997']
I suppose it's a bit like trying to understand peoples' reasons for voting. I may never vote for the Conservatives, but I still see value in understanding why so many people do; it tells me something about widely-held opinions about wealth distribution, welfare, community etc., and ultimately more about the state of the country and the people in it.

Similarly, if there are reasons for liking certain music that I'm unaware of, I'd like to know to better my understanding. Was it popular because it hit during a recession, and people love the angry lyrics because they're pissed off about the same things? Was the band genuinely different to everything else at the time? It all helps create a better understanding of music and how it fits into peoples' lives.
[/quote]

"Is it a nice tune?" tends to be enough for me. :)

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1393420678' post='2379979']
It helps if you were alive in the 60s.....if not I guess a lot of the Beatles may not resonate with you. I never understood George Formby.....
[/quote]
most people 'get' the music of their youth, although I always said it wouldn't happen to me most modern stuff leaves me cold, and if it doesn't I find myself saying "it sounds just like (insert old artists name here)"
Never got Springsteen but love the Ramones (and the Beatles!)

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1393422330' post='2380018']
Yes, of course, but whether it is or is not a nice tune is subjective and therefore the OP wnats to understand what influences that subjectivity. Otherwsie, we are just passive consumers and will take whatever old s***e is thrown at us.
[/quote]

That's a bit overly simplistic.
I don't take "whatever old sh*te" is thrown at me but I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in what makes other people like what they do.

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1393426673' post='2380137']
I dont get jazz.
At all.
Im well aware im probably the minority.
I do appreciate the musicianship, and skills that they obviously have. But its not for me.
Dont enjoy it at all.
Ill get my coat....
[/quote]
No, I think you're probably in the majority.
I don't get opera either, what a racket

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1393422330' post='2380018']
Yes, of course, but whether it is or is not a nice tune is subjective and therefore the OP wnats to understand what influences that subjectivity. Otherwsie, we are just passive consumers and will take whatever old s***e is thrown at us.
[/quote]
[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1393423432' post='2380042']
Oh Bilbo, so young yet so cynical ;-)
[/quote]

He's got a point - I once shared a flat with a guy who had virtually no interest in exploring new music. In his own words, he just listened "whatever's popular." So quite literally, as Bilbo puts it, "whatever old s***e is thrown at us."

This was, to be fair, the same man that saw me re-stringing my basses before a recording session and asked me, in all seriousness, why I changed my strings. I don't think we ever really saw eye-to-eye...

I just finished Andy Kershaw's autobiography, which I highly recommend.
His favourite 3 acts were Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen and The Ramones and he explains how they affected him hugely when he first heard them.
They each touched his soul in different ways, along with lots of other people including me.

You had to be there at the time to get it - who feels it knows it :)

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1393429448' post='2380207']
I just finished Andy Kershaw's autobiography, which I highly recommend.
His favourite 3 acts were Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen and The Ramones and he explains how they affected him hugely when he first heard them.
They each touched his soul in different ways, along with lots of other people including me.

You had to be there at the time to get it - who feels it knows it :)
[/quote]

That book sounds just the ticket, nice one cheers