Why become a member? ×

Ouch yet wow!

Scott_LP

I've been playing around with string gauges recently and have settled on 11's on my Strats and LP. However, feeling brave I restrung the Tele with 12's and what a difference! The Tele sparkle is still ever present yet it's like it's just grown a pair, however after about 30 mins my fingers were beginning to get sore. Still, this happened when I moved up to 11's so I suppose I'll get used to it. Maybe a Strat next? Hmm, we'll see!

Has anyone else played around with string gauges? I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Edited by Scott_LP

[quote name='Scott_LP' timestamp='1392629225' post='2370683']
I've been playing around with string gauges recently and have settled on 11's on my Strats and LP. However, feeling brave I restrung the Tele with 12's and what a difference! The Tele sparkle is still ever present yet it's like it's just grown a pair, however after about 30 mins my fingers were beginning to get sore. Still, this happened when I moved up to 11's so I suppose I'll get used to it. Maybe a Strat next? Hmm, we'll see!

Has anyone else played around with string gauges? I'd be interested in your thoughts.
[/quote]

I'm seriously thinking about getting another jazz guitar... I used 13s on my last one. No string bending, mind!

I use the same Ernie Balls too - 009 on top though. I like the lighter top but the lows are good for chunky stumming. Recently I replaced the strings on my Yammie MSG which were 11's and while sparkly, they were too heavy on the top for practicing any solos.

When I started playing light strings were a bit of a craze - I even found a set of Rotosound 6's. Now that really WAS floppy! Back in the day I used 8s most of the time, and with those on I could solo all day and all night.

About 25 years ago I realised that for clean work 8's didn't sound so good after the first few hours, so moved across to 9s, then 10s which is where I've remained. I have experimented with heavier gauges, but bigger strings sound dull and muddy to me - probably down to a combination of equipment and playing preferences. For overdrive tones I think I actually prefer something slightly lighter, and 9.5 hits the spot best.

FWIW I also use 10s on acoustic, and again, although I've gone heavier, the restriction on agility and dull tone overcomes the slight gain in volume.

To my ears, a part of the Stevie Ray sound is the result of him fighting his heavyweight string gauges. He is one of the very few guitar-greats I can think of who used heavy strings beneficially (Link Wray is another, but his technique didn't involve much bending).

I've got a set of Ernie Ball Beefy Slinkys on my SG at the minute, but I think I'll go back to the Skinny Top Heavy Bottoms, the 11s on the top are too heavy for me.

How often do forumites change their strings? I've had mine on since Christmas Day and they sound a bit dead.

I run Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky's across all of my guitars - 9-46 but that's for rock with a fair bit of lead and bending. I've been known to kill a set of strings in a week...depends on the circumstances. A couple of hot gigs under lights with lots of sweat and bends can destroy a set without any real bother!

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1392937782' post='2374595']
How often do forumites change their strings? I've had mine on since Christmas Day and they sound a bit dead.
[/quote]
There's a lot of 'depends' in there, but I buy DR tite fit and they seem to last 6-12 months (often longer if not used much & cleaned after playing). For comparison I used to go through a set of rotosound or Fender rock'n'rolls about every 2-4 weeks (when they became impossible to tune) and D'Addarios about every 4-8 weeks. I play less than I did, but those older strings would go dead even if left barely played.

• 2 weeks later...

9's for a Fender scale length;

10's for a Gibson scale length;

11's for Jazz (half-round IIRC for a slightly thicker tone).

EB Slinky as appropriate. I have the feeling that I was latterly using Thomastics on the Jazz guitar but couldn't swear to it.

In the days when I was a busy working guitarist I was changing the strings (and oiling/cleaning the fretboard) every 2-3 weeks. Not so much now. ;)

I use D'Addario EXL110+ on 24.75in and 25in scales, Fender Bullet 10s on 25.5in scale - gives a similar feel across the different types.

My jazz guitar gets Thomastik Infeld flatwound 12s.

Edited by H_Bass

i fit 10's on anything with a fender scale length and 12's on gibson scale length, rolled on the semi-acoustic

my acoustics all have 12's but i use Newtone Heritage strings which are balanced and low tension, all the tone of 12's with a feel that's somewhere between 10's and 11's, highly recommended for anyone who struggles with standard 12's, as a bonus they seem to last longer than d'addario and don't cost that much more, quite a few of my friends have gone over to them as well after trying one of my guitars.

matt

After a few weeks of perseverance, I just can't get along with the 12's so will be reverting back to 11's and stick with them. Glad I tried yet just not for me.

Interested in folks thoughs so thanks for sharing your experiences! ! :-)

I play 12-54 d'addario on electric and 13-56 martin on acoustic, standard tuning's on both as first i could only play for about 15 minutes at a time with the 13s but my fingers eventually got used to it. I know that Rick Parfitt uses 14-56 with a wound G but he does absolutely hammer the strings.

[/quote]

Usually about once a month for me and I always give them a good clean after a gig or long practice, along with a good rub of FastFret. As you say, any longer than that and they start to lose their sparkle. And I start breaking them!

.How often do forumites change their strings? I've had mine on since Christmas Day and they sound a bit dead.
[/quote]

For me, it depends on how much use they're getting. An hour or two every other day and I'd change my Elixirs about once a year.

I've had a set of those lads on a bass for seven years now and they still work fine.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've always used 9s for standard tuning, when downtuning I've upped the gauge but it feels more or less the same. I did standard tuning with 11s but didn't like the feel at all, even dropping action didn't help.