Why become a member? ×

Fret cleaning with wire wool

Thunderbird

I've heard people use very fine wire wool to polish frets before,never used it myself,but mask off your pickups or they will be covered in tiny bits of wire wool.
I polished my frets with Solvol Autosol metal polish about a year ago,coincidently,I'm cleaning my fretboard tonight with lemon oil and the lemon oil is removing the tarnish leaving the frets shiny again.
I protected the fretboard with masking tape when I used the Autosol.

Tape off the fretboard between the frets with masking tape, cutting it in carefully with a scalpel when the fret spacing gets too small for a single strip, then use 0000 grade wire wool. Wear gloves or you'll be picking bits of steel out of your fingers for days. Use metal polish for a final shine - I used Duraglit wadding. Alternatively, use a two stage metal buffing wheel kit from Halfords fitted to an electric drill, but if you do that double mask the fretboard and mask the sides of the fretboard too (and the body if you don't remove the neck) because the wheel will get pulled over the edges.

I never use wire wool as it ends up all over pole pieces etc.

Mask off, nice cloth and some T-cut. Polishes them up really nicely and had my 28 year old jazz looking brand new again! :-)

Used it on a fair few basses/guitars over the years and it always works a treat.

Edited by skej21

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1391118327' post='2353595']
I never use wire wool as it ends up all over pole pieces etc.

Mask off, nice cloth and some T-cut. Polishes them up really nicely and had my 28 year old jazz looking brand new again! :-)

Used it on a fair few basses/guitars over the years and it always works a treat.
[/quote]

+1, I was gonna type nearly the same...

[quote name='Badass' timestamp='1391165618' post='2353930']
Yep Gorgomyte is what I use on all my Basses. Wonderful stuff
[/quote]

Just checked the Gorgomyte website... what a pain in the arse of a website it is!
Absolutely no information, just a collection of band names and players and "this product is awesome" type of "reviews". I just wanted a simple: "our product is this, it does this and that when you use it this way".

It may be a good product, whatever it is (cloth... what type? any chemical or does it just rely on it being abrasive?), but I'm unlikely to buy anything on the basis of what's on teh website, which is little more than "hey, give us your money, lots of cool people do already! Join them and be as cool as they are!" :P

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1391164491' post='2353914']
Wire wool swarf is an absolute pain if it does get on to your pickups but a job like this is far more manageable with the neck removed (if at all possible)... this being the case, swarf is no longer an issue.
[/quote]

Totally agree - neck off is the way to go if you can, but obviously not on option for neckthroughs or set necks. Tape pups off and vac up carefully with a brush tool before removing the tape.. then do the dining room table and carpet too if you're married..... ;)

As for masking off the board, I just cut a post-it note in half and stick the two bits either side of the fret (sticky edge butted against the fret). Does about 2 frets before you bin it and start with a new one.

Low [s]tech[/s] tack, cheap and half-assed, rather like my playing. ;)

Edited by skankdelvar

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Andrea-Fulerton-Nail-Boutique-Glosser/dp/B005DKAVT2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1391262941&sr=8-2&keywords=andrea+fullerton+buffer"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Andrea-Fulerton-Nail-Boutique-Glosser/dp/B005DKAVT2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1391262941&sr=8-2&keywords=andrea+fullerton+buffer[/url]

I use these, they give a really good finish. Great on frets too! You can do it without taking the strings off.

Edited by MoonBassAlpha

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1391170527' post='2354020']
My wife uses these little button magnets in her floristry, for holding on corsages without using pins. They're really quite powerful and brilliant for cleaning up wirewool leftovers.
[/quote]

Excellent! Is she available for this weekend?