Why become a member? ×

Ordered A Gibson SG Std. Walnut

gsgbass

I finally pulled the trigger, and ordered a Gibson SG Std. Walnut. There were two shown in the Sweetwater.com Guitar Gallery. I kept going back to see if the one I liked was still there. This went on for about a week, and a half. GAS!!! I sold my Fender Am. Std. Precision, and a Markbass LM lll head. The SG Walnut was there still, I ordered it, and should get it in on Thursday Jan. 30th. I still have my Fender Am. Std. Fretless Jazz. It should be cool.

Sweetwater.com is a great resource for detailed photos & specs, wonderful to see the actual bass you're ordering & get the weight. I'm pretty sure there's no UK site with such good info online.

Bets wishes with the Sg - it looks terrific B)

Cheerz, John

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1391009161' post='2352220']
Does the SG bass suffer from heavy neck dive like the SG guitars?
[/quote]
Only until you drop it & the head cracks off near the nut :rolleyes: then they're fine :P

Sorry ;)

Thank you Gents for the very, very kind words. And YES it will in all probability have the typical SG Std. NECK DIVE OF DEATH. And you are also right on about the 17 degree head angle breakage issue. I've seen a lot of those with my years as a retired Roadie. I still have my Fender Am.Std. Fretless Jazz, that I prefer the sound over the former Precision I sold. And I like the RH450 head, over the LM lll. So, to me it's worth it. Besides, no matter where you live, in the U.S., or anywhere else in the world, GAS is GAS! Sweetwater Sound, Sweetwater.com is the only one that I know of that has the Guitar Gallery that you can see the actual Axe, weight, serial number, and how many of the same model is in stock to choose from. It worked for me, a couple of times now.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/7mjwChp.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by gsgbass

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1391014520' post='2352289']
Ah! I've always had a soft spot for SGs, and you're not helping!

Congrats!
[/quote]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/lxl9z4V.gif[/IMG] Sorry about that Chief. I'm my own worst enemy when it comes Sg Std's, and to going back to where I started from with Gibson EB series Basses from 1969 on. I started with a 1969 Gibson EB0 way back then.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1391014307' post='2352286']
One thing I think makes the 2013 onwards Gibson basses so appealing is the fact they are actually very reasonably priced for a USA made, nitro finished bass with a quality hardcase.
[/quote]My thoughts exactly, looking at Sweetwater.com Guitar Gallery does confirm that too B)

[quote name='gsgbass' timestamp='1391013746' post='2352281']
Thank you Gents for the very, very kind words. And YES it will in all probability have the typical SG Std. NECK DIVE OF DEATH. And you are also right on about the 17 degree head angle breakage issue. I've seen a lot of those with my years as a retired Roadie. I still have my Fender Am.Std. Fretless Jazz, that I prefer the sound over the former Precision I sold. And I like the RH450 head, over the LM lll. So, to me it's worth it. Besides, no matter where you live, in the U.S., or anywhere else in the world, GAS is GAS! Sweetwater Sound, Sweetwater.com is the only one that I know of that has the Guitar Gallery that you can see the actual Axe, weight, serial number, and how many of the same model is in stock to choose from. It worked for me, a couple of times now.

[/quote]Lovely - but I'm safe from SG Gas - I'm far too big & fat for a little ol' bass like that :rolleyes:

[quote name='gsgbass' timestamp='1391015105' post='2352300']
I'm my own worst enemy when it comes Sg Std's, and to going back to where I started from with Gibson EB series Basses from 1969 on.
[/quote]

Yeah, I can relate. I "played" an SG guitar a lot in the eighties, and eventually grew fond of its design. Now I'm old, I'm just re-visiting my youth so to speak.

That looks stunning, I have always wanted to be (for bass playing) Jack Bruce or Andy Fraser. Sadly my skills are a long way short. I did drop my 1958 EB2 when it fell off the strap, sometime around 1976 I guess. Bent machine head, however the headstock stayed on. That was (obviously) pre Internet days (other than at University) when the headstocks stayed on :) Guess I was lucky. At the time I was beside myself, Ihad dropped my best (only) bass that I owned as 17 year old. EB2s were very cheap then, unfashionable (like EB0s and EB3s).

Edited by 3below