Why become a member? ×

Compressors

RagaMuffin

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1390912105' post='2351114']
[url="http://www.ovnilab.com/"]http://www.ovnilab.com/[/url]
[/quote]

I trawled this site for a long time to get the right compressor for me. Finished up with an Aguilar TLC which I've been using religiously for 3 years now!

Ones that jump to mind out of the selection I've owned through the years are:

MXR M87 - love the metering, it's like a rack compressor in a pedal.

Diamond - nice thick tone, 18v though.

Monty Allums modded Boss CS-3 - great compressor for the money.

As mentioned above do read the Ovnilab wedsite, it's information you can trust and lots of it.

Speaking strictly from personal experience ...

I've had a few compressors, yet had never been fully satisfied with them. I had never found the "ideal" compression that I was looking for, or if the compression was close there would be other issues with whatever pedal that were unsatisfactory to me. Enough being enough, I did a good bit of research, read lots, asked questions, tried as many compressors as I could. In the end I was finding it difficult to decide between the MXR M87 and the Aguilar TLC. Tough call, they are both excellent. In the end, I decided upon the MXR. I really can't fault that pedal in any way. (well, perhaps a greater range of attack, but that's really splitting a hair).

I am a complete compressor Virgin, and have just bought my first one. After spending hours on ovnilab reading reviews, I would have for the mxr if it wasn't for the price tag! It really depends what you need it for as they tend to be designed to maximise one part of the compressor spectrum
I ended up going for the seymour Duncan double back, which has low noise, some peak limiting without gettinging too squashy and some great sustain, if I hadn't got this I may have also looked at the aphex punch factory but so far I am really
Happy, the pearl track just ring really nicely with beautifull harmonics!

When I asked our producer for his recommendations he said MXR Dynacomp. True you lose some lows, but if you use it as an always on compressor, just add more lows on your amp. It seems to add a "middy" sort of element to the sound, making the bass quite prominent.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1390920922' post='2351311']

I trawled this site for a long time to get the right compressor for me. Finished up with an Aguilar TLC which I've been using religiously for 3 years now!
[/quote]

I've tried a LOT of compressors over the years including rack mount and pedals and I swear by my TLC! I wouldn't have anything else for on the move and it takes something special in the studio to make me switch.

:hi: My recommendation would be for the TC Nova Dynamics NDY-1. It has been discontinued for some time, but can be found on a popular four-letter auction site and on BC from time to time.. for around £100. Takes up two spaces on a board, but lots of control, metering (!) and also has a noise gate..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgLrNl2vWbI

[quote name='RagaMuffin' timestamp='1390417133' post='2345283']
I've personally looked at the Mxr m87 and Earthquaker the warden and love the two of them both (from playing experience).

I would love to know peoples opinion on these two / others.

Also anyone know where to get them cheaply :P
[/quote]

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1391816392' post='2361767']
When I asked our producer for his recommendations he said MXR Dynacomp. True you lose some lows, but if you use it as an always on compressor, just add more lows on youor amp. It seems to add a "middy" sort of element to the sound, making the bass quite prominent.
[/quote]

the dc9 berhringer is a copy of this....i had one and it actually worked very well!

I tried the compressors on a Zoom B9.1ut, then a Zoom B3, then a Line6 M13. All these are "multi-FX" processors and the compressors were all crap.

I've also used an EBS Multicomp, which was pretty good as an "always-on" compressor and it's fairly simple to use, but the attack was not fast enough for me. I also had a Markbass Compressore for a while, which was definitely the best of the lot. But it is very big and needs its own power supply.

I've recently ordered a MXR M87 so hopefully that will also be good!

I tried a lot of them. TLC, Compressore (which I had for quite some time), MXR M87. Never got round to testing the Diamond (which is good but pricey).
The only really bad ones I had were the Ashdown dualband which flips out completely on active instruments and an old Ibanez BP10 which isn't bad but isn't good either.

Once I made a switch to old Trace Elliot amplifiers with the mighty SMX preamp and its dualband comp I never looked back.
The SMX comp is exactly what I was looking for in a compressor: More punch without squeezing the lows. I am hooked!