Why become a member? ×

How To Say No Thanks

Hobbayne

I went for an audition the other night, and the band were very good with lots of gigs booked. They seemed very impressed with my bass playing.
The only thing is, they are all the way in Reading and I am in West London. It took me an hour and a half to get there.
They have offered me the job last night, but I have been mulling it over for the last few days and have decided against it as it is too far.
They are such nice blokes, I feel a bit rotten for saying no. :(

It's best just to tell them the truth; say you thought the band were great & really liked the guys but you didn't realise the journey would take that long - should be fine.

Out of curiosity though; how did you manage to take that long to get to Reading? I get the train through there every day & it's 25 minutes on the train from Paddington!

A year ago I was playing with some guys in Uxbridge. I live near Witney, about 10 miles west of Oxford. On a good day, I could get from my house to the rehearsal studio in under and hour, but it often took two hours plus if there had been an accident on the M40. It quickly became more trouble than it was worth.

I once turned a band down a long time ago because of distance/travel issues [i]before[/i] an audition and got this back:

" Don't worry about sending the demo back,it's only a cheap sh*tty tape copy
anyway,I don't need it. Can't say I'm too surprised that you're not up for
it, I didn't think you really would be after the first e-mail I got from you
when you were fretting about travelling arrangements - too concerned with
trivial matters for my liking (sorry, but I have to be honest). At the end of
the day we need someone who lives,eats, shits, sleeps and breathes
Rock'n'Roll as opposed to it just being a "weekend" distraction,this comes
before everything else in our lives! Good luck in your search for a band but,
just a word of advice, think carefully how you approach people in the future,
I think you're really looking for something to fit in round your life for fun
and maybe you should state that in your ad. Hope you don't take that the
wrong way, just being honest..."

TBH It was them that approached me first. I had an ad in which I stated that I was prepared to travel as far as Slough, Maidenhead in which they answered that they where further out than than that, and as i knew 80 percent of their stuff, they would love me to have a jam with them. Which I did.
But I would rather join a more local band.

I was in the same situation a couple of years back. I knew where the rehearsals took place as used to make the journey many years ago, but with increasing traffic etc, I knew that in summer I`d be fine but that it would get on my nerves in the winter months, so I explained this and said thanks but no thanks. However the band had a gig coming up and asked me to dep for them and I was happy to do so, and am still in touch with them - in fact their current bassist is a Basschatter.

I once went to a blind audition - turned out the band was some mental death core band with not one but two 'vocalists' who basically just went "grrrrrrruuuuuoooooooorrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhh" in some vague semblance of harmony. If memory serves me correctly the name of this outfit was Nun's Beaver.

Out of politeness I endured an hour or so, before making my excuses and getting ready to leave. I had no problems with telling them I was not going to be joining their band :lol:

You went down there, had a meet, thought about it and decided not to proceed. That's what first meets are for.

As for the journey - I know the area well. The sheer unpredictability of the M4 around Slough and Reading coupled with a dearth of easy rat-runs would make me think hard, even if I was starting from Slough let alone West London. But you won't have known till you tried it. Again, that's fair enough.

Just drop them a mail saying ta for the audition, thanks but no thanks, good luck with the band, big pink kissies. No harm, no foul. :)

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1389950987' post='2339783']
I went for an audition the other night, and the band were very good with lots of gigs booked. They seemed very impressed with my bass playing.
The only thing is, they are all the way in Reading and I am in West London. It took me an hour and a half to get there.
They have offered me the job last night, but I have been mulling it over for the last few days and have decided against it as it is too far.
They are such nice blokes, I feel a bit rotten for saying no. :(
[/quote]

Don't feel like you were the only option and you're letting them down. They might have offered to someone else first who had similar reservations so they asked you, so don't worry! It's only fair to let them know so they can sort out the issue ASAP :-)

Edited by skej21

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1389963667' post='2340005']
Just be polite and decline, you'll never get started in music if your worrying about upsetting people. I've been to loads of auditions recently, turned some bands down, others have turned me down. I don't get upset or annoyed... just move on to the next one :)
[/quote]
This is great advice.

I travel up to the Midlands once every 7-10 days for hearsals from Bedfordshire! Just short of a 200 mile round trip. The reason is that the band are great, the gigs are generally well paid and it's a pleasure to play with them....

Don't be too hasty to knock them on the head. If it ticks all the boxes for you, you may be able to come to a compromise further down the line.

Your not going to be rehearsing forever.......?

[quote name='Noisyjon' timestamp='1389964953' post='2340036']
I once turned a band down a long time ago because of distance/travel issues [i]before[/i] an audition and got this back:

[/quote]

That is someone with too much time to fill. Surely 'OK thanks for letting us know' would have sufficed?

[quote name='Noisyjon' timestamp='1389964953' post='2340036']

[/quote]

Haha. A true weekend delusional weekend rockstar.