Why become a member? ×

Please support this Music Venue

BassBunny

[color=#000000][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]"We've had pictures fall off the wall because the bass was so loud."[/font][/size][/color]
Hunh? No change there, then. ;)

Seriously though I can imagine that being very annoying - but then I wouldn't knowingly move next to a live music venue.
Just like I didn't knowingly move next to Heathrow, or a railway line, or Janet Street-Porter.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1389911906' post='2339586']
Has this been verified as genuine? Only reason I ask is that a similar story went round about the Robin2 in Bilston W Mids a few years ago and IIRC it turned out to be a hoax.
[/quote]

I know the right people on Facebook have been talking about it who will know the owners (promoters etc), almost certainly not a hoax.

[quote name='The neighbour, 27, who does not want to be named,' timestamp='1389912164' post='2339591']
We have lived in flats around the city centre for three years and we love the shops, bars and nightlife in Manchester.[/quote]

If they've lived in flat[u]s[/u] (plural) for only three years in one area then they're either an estate agents worst nightmare or they're renting and for whatever reason moving on frequently. Smells fishy to me. Might be worth a bit of checking their background if possible, one bell-end[sup]© xilldx[/sup] shouldn't be able to dictate like that.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1389904957' post='2339470']
The parties directly involved need to get down to some proper dialogue and compromise instead of the polarised, defensive nonsense that has gone on so far, of which this petition is part.
[/quote]

While I agree with this I have signed it as well, because unless the council get a wake up call (e.g. in the form of this petition), they will just carry on and effectively close the place down, because it's easier than engaging in dialogue!

Over 56000 now!

This sort of thing really pisses me off! It's always the complainers who get listened to. Our local pub put on a weekend music festival, with plenty of consultation and warning to locals, but because one or two residents complained to the council it will never happen again, despite the fact that there were about 300 people, mostly from the village, having a great time.

Edited by Count Bassy

Done!

This is up there in stupidity with that couple who bought a house near Alton Towers and residents near Mallory Park...these noisy things are already there and you have no right to expect them to close/cease activities because YOU don't like them...move elsewhere!!!

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1389954455' post='2339828']This sort of thing really pisses me off! It's always the complainers who get listened to.[/quote]

+1
What happens if Night & Day is closed, or restricted and this "just visiting resident" moves on again like he seems to do??
The damage is done then.

Signed too.

What a ridiculous situation. I hope the council realises their error are remove the notice.

If not, I'm moving next to Heathrow and demand they divert the planes elsewhere because they're too noisy ;)

Edited by mcnach

[font="Arial, Verdana"][size="2"][color=#000000]And the other side of the story that says there is NO risk of closure and the residents (some of them been there for a decade) merely want the volume turned down to its previous levels...[/color][/size][/font]
[color=#000000]
[font="Arial, Verdana"][size="2"]http://www.manchesterconfidential.co.uk/News/Night-And-Day-The-Other-Side[/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1390301147' post='2343662']
[font=Arial, Verdana][size=2][color=#000000]And the other side of the story that says there is NO risk of closure and the residents (some of them been there for a decade) merely want the volume turned down to its previous levels...[/color][/size][/font]

[color=#000000][font=Arial, Verdana][size=2][url="http://www.manchesterconfidential.co.uk/News/Night-And-Day-The-Other-Side"]http://www.mancheste...-The-Other-Side[/url][/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

Thanks for posting. I rather suspected all was not as had been presented. My sympathies are with the residents.

[quote name='Protium' timestamp='1390341772' post='2344376']
Signed and shared a few days ago, good to see the support for the venue.
[/quote]

Did you even read that the petition is basically a load of crap and they are not being threatened with closure?

All that the residents are asking for (some of them being there for 10 years +) is for the volume to go back to its last level as the venue increased their volume level massively.

That's it.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1390380816' post='2344609']
Did you even read that the petition is basically a load of crap and they are not being threatened with closure?

All that the residents are asking for (some of them being there for 10 years +) is for the volume to go back to its last level as the venue increased their volume level massively.

That's it.
[/quote]

Well they are being threatened with having to turn it down, which might well result in closure if they loose their clientèle.

Well I signed before all the counter arguments came out, and I sort of wish I'd waited for details of this specific case. However past experience still suggests that Councils in general tend to jump in in support of the complainer, hence my signing at the time.

Unfortunately the "discussion" on Manchester Confidential (ManCon) is hardly a reasoned one, on either side. And, re the arguments about it only having got louder since October, well to some extent that's what the complainers would say isn't it. Not saying they're lying, not saying they're wrong, but in case like this the truth is often the first casualty (on both sides)!

If nothing else the petition will force the two sides to talk and hopefully come to a compromise.

Signed, even though i live in London and cant here it lol.

I do think if a music venue is operating in a close residential environment they should be made to do as much as possible to ensure the noise is not an issue for those that choose not to want to hear it.

I do hope they can stay open but its not so silly that someone wants a quite home.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1390480446' post='2345829']
Signed, even though i live in London and cant here it lol.

I do think if a music venue is operating in a close residential environment they should be made to do as much as possible to ensure the noise is not an issue for those that choose not to want to hear it.

I do hope they can stay open but its not so silly that someone wants a quite home.
[/quote]

But the point is that if you want a quiet home then don't move in to a home close to an established live music venue, which is apparently what some of the complainers in this case have done. After all the venue has been operating in this way for 20 years apparently. (obviously some residents may still pre-date that)

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1390480846' post='2345833']
But the point is that if you want a quiet home then don't move in to a home close to an established live music venue
[/quote]

Maybe in an ideal world, and i really do get the point that this guy knew it was a venue, but if people are living close to a music venue the venue should take some responsibility and help alleviate this situation.
It seems its not the noise itself, but the volume of it that is the issue.
Noise pollution is not something that most will tolerate these days, and a lot of places are having to compromise by getting sound meters in. Its not ideal for anyone but if this venue is so close to peoples homes they should do whatever it takes to bring the noise down.

These houses have been built close to the venue, and people will live in them. its a sign of the times im afraid. A compromise has to be made.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1390480846' post='2345833']
But the point is that if you want a quiet home then don't move in to a home close to an established live music venue, which is apparently what some of the complainers in this case have done. After all the venue has been operating in this way for 20 years apparently. (obviously some residents may still pre-date that)
[/quote]

Actually NONE of the residents pre-date Night & Day setting up where they are. It is situated on Oldham St which in years gone by was the place to shop in Manchester but over the years shops closed and it became a retail wasteland. The only people to be found in that area were druggies and working girls, you would not venture there of an evening. The area was composed of Wholesale Outlets/Warehouses and shops with storage/offices above, no living accomodation. Night & Day took a big risk opening up and as a result more venues followed their lead, Dry Bar, Matt & Phreds and were all pretty successful.
About 10 years ago the surrounding areas started to be developed. Buildings changed from retail to flats, mills to apartments, anything that was empty appeared to be fair game. The area quickly took on a trendy persona and got called the Northern Quarter. The bars and music venues were in a lot of ways responsible for helping this transition as the attraction of having all this nightlife on the doorstep, was really appealing.
So who then is to blame? You could argue that Manchester Council, in the interest of swelling their Council Tax coffers, have allowed this conversion/development to go on unchecked. After all they get nothing for empty commercial property. Or is it developers cutting corners on sound insulation, who knows. Al I do know is that Night & Day have been there the longest.

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1390488292' post='2345955']
Actually NONE of the residents pre-date Night & Day setting up where they are. It is situated on Oldham St which in years gone by was the place to shop in Manchester but over the years shops closed and it became a retail wasteland. The only people to be found in that area were druggies and working girls, you would not venture there of an evening. The area was composed of Wholesale Outlets/Warehouses and shops with storage/offices above, no living accomodation. Night & Day took a big risk opening up and as a result more venues followed their lead, Dry Bar, Matt & Phreds and were all pretty successful.
About 10 years ago the surrounding areas started to be developed. Buildings changed from retail to flats, mills to apartments, anything that was empty appeared to be fair game. The area quickly took on a trendy persona and got called the Northern Quarter. The bars and music venues were in a lot of ways responsible for helping this transition as the attraction of having all this nightlife on the doorstep, was really appealing.
So who then is to blame? You could argue that Manchester Council, in the interest of swelling their Council Tax coffers, have allowed this conversion/development to go on unchecked. After all they get nothing for empty commercial property. Or is it developers cutting corners on sound insulation, who knows. Al I do know is that Night & Day have been there the longest.
[/quote]

Thanks for the detail. I suspected that that might be the case but thought I'd add my [size=4] "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif](obviously some residents may still pre-date that)" to allow for not knowing the area or the history.[/font][/color][/size]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"][size=4]Whatever the reason for the developments, lack of sound insulation in the flats [/size]etc.[size=4] The fact is that people moved into these flats knowing that there was a venue close by, so unless the volume really has been turned since [/size]October[size=4], they haven't really got [/size]cause[size=4] to complain (IMO).[/size][/color][/font]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"][size=4]Re the increase in noise despite the venues denying it: is it possible that the sound proofing has been compromised in some way? Possibly by recent building work or similar?[/size][/color][/font]