Why become a member? ×

Your ideal cab?

Phil Starr

A small group of us (Myself, LawrenceH and Stevie) are working together on some cab designs which we will make available free of charge to Basschatters.

At the moment we are working on a 1x12 which should be an easy build, cost about £150 and will keep up with an average drummer fairly easily. We will go on to look at other designs. We'd like to open it out to you all, what would you like us to have a go at, what designs would you like to see? What would your ideal speaker sound like?

Now that's a good idea. :)

My ideal cab would be something that can handle low frequencies from an octaver, like when you stand next to a PA sub in a good nightclub & feel your insides moving. It would also need to have a good mid sound to help the filter sweeps come through when there's 2 guitars playing.

There's probably a couple of camps here.

Those who want full range, and those who want a more coloured cabinet.

I like full range, extended low end, and use a modelling pedal for colour. This is generally expensive (often 3 way designs, expensive parts, crossovers, etc). This is not to everyone's taste either.

A 'bass guitar' coloured cab is I suspect more do-able within your design parameters?

I think the most interesting thing will be (if you guys have the time) your commentary on what design decisions you are making and why. The more I learn about cabs the more I realise it's a balancing of compromises in design. So to hear what the aims are, what design problem they are solving etc... where they differ from say Bill FM's simplexx range or the fearful range (price on that one!) would be interesting.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1389435046' post='2334072']
A 212 would be good.
[/quote]

One thing at a time.....

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1389436108' post='2334077']
something based around parts that are easily sourced in the UK/EU would be nice.
[/quote]

Definitely.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1389437504' post='2334097']
My favorite cab ' tone' comes from the Aguilar DB212/DB112. If you can get close to that tone in a lighter smaller box it would be amazing!
[/quote]

That's the size of cab we have been looking at. I don't see a problem getting close to that tone, but first we have to know what it is (I've never heard one) and, more importantly, what they have done to achieve it.

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1389438364' post='2334104']
There's probably a couple of camps here.

Those who want full range, and those who want a more coloured cabinet.
[/quote]

Transparent is actually easier than coloured because it's impossible to cater for every colour preference.

An 8Ohm 1x15 that weighs about as much as a packet of fags, will take 500W, and can be built (loaded) for £250 using just washing up bottles, cereal cartons and sticky backed plastic. What you reckon? :ph34r:

Actually, an 8Ohm 1x15 with similar specs to whatever your 1x12 will be, would be nice.
A slim 2x10 too. And a 2x15. And so it goes on...

Tonally I'd want smooth, deep and without too much unwieldy low end. Do I mean 'tight' - probably. My descriptive words probably mean something different to everyone else. Oh, and the option of a tweeter for those who need them.

Cheers

Geoff

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1389441383' post='2334140']
Aren't you reinventing the wheel?
[/quote]

You spoke too soon... (geddit?) lol ;)

Although it has no bearing on the subject. But I hope it has valves.

Coat got.... i'm tyred....

Edited by RandomBass

If you're going to work hard and designing, building and promoting the 'ideal' bass cab, won't you be exposing yourself to massive amounts of flak from fanboys, haters, losers, geeks, trolls, flamers, asreholes, fanboy haters, geek flamers, loser trolls, troll losers and... bass players? :D

Edit: ...and flaming geek troll loser fanboy hater arsehole bass players..?

Edited by discreet

What about a sealed 1X12? Unusual, niche in the market, and so on.
Wasn't there someone on here talking about that possibility only recently?

My ideal 1X12 would sound like an Ampeg 8X10 and be 22 X 18 X 18 inches and weigh 14kg.

There's your brief... :D

Edited by discreet

Must admit I've done a lot of tinkering on WinIsd with models ranging from single 6.5" to
huge 4x12's. Everything from coffee-bar / sling'em over your shoulder boxes to stuff for
upright/double basses. Finding good matches where mids-tweeters are needed is not easy
and bringing it in under-budget can be just as tricky.

I think the upright bass community are poorly served by current commercial offerings. So how about that for a later project.

Good luck.

Balcro.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1389442187' post='2334152']
If you're going to work hard and designing, building and promoting the 'ideal' bass cab, won't you be exposing yourself to massive amounts of flak from fanboys, haters, losers, geeks, trolls, flamers, asreholes, fanboy haters, geek flamers, loser trolls, troll losers and... bass players? :D

Edit: ...and flaming geek troll loser fanboy hater arsehole bass players..?
[/quote] and discreet.....

Small and lightweight with a massive low end, no need for any upper mid or treble - I only play reggae.
Sensitivity is not as important as deep, clean bass.

Could you copy the Acme Low B-112 "Flat Wound" System and produce it for less than the £600 it would cost to import from the US?

[url="http://www.acmebass.com/#/products"]http://www.acmebass.com/#/products[/url]

Specs:
[url="http://www.acmebass.com/pdf/b112_flatwound.pdf"]http://www.acmebass.com/pdf/b112_flatwound.pdf[/url]

The marketed is blanketed with super loud cabs and super full range cabs. Carve a niche by offering 'old-cab' sound in a tiny, lightweight package. Something midget-sized but 810e/nv610/k140 sounding please.

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1389451011' post='2334294']
The marketed is blanketed with super loud cabs and super full range cabs. Carve a niche by offering 'old-cab' sound in a tiny, lightweight package. Something midget-sized but 810e/nv610/k140 sounding please.
[/quote]

Ay this could be good!

Guest bassman7755

Have some easy way to angle it upwards whilst still allowing an amp to perched on top.
Perhaps related to that: some way to semi-permanently secure a micro amp of choice to it to in order to make a "combo".

Oh yeah - have the design aesthetic of a1950's radio (not).