Why become a member? ×

If basses were cars ...

Fionn

I was reading through another thread where somebody made a comparison between basses and cars. The comparison was "Fender = Modeo, Alembic = Ferrari", then someone else elaborated "Fender = Mustang, Alembic = dated sportscar". I thought that to be quite interesting and both cases hinted a certain truth.

There's a tastily contentious thread in this. Here's a couple to get the ball rolling ...

Warwick Streamer Stage 1 = Porsche 911
Hofner Violin Bass = Morris Minor
Gibson Grabber = Austin Allegro

I think the Precision Bass is the Model T Ford, it was the car that brought motoring to the masses as the Precision brought bass playing to the masses, I can also see the Warwick / Porsche connection and not just because both are German, there is definitely something reliable but more than just run of the mill about Warwick as with Porsche and both attract the same love em / hate em debate.

Musicman basses = BMW M series, fast, aggressive, solid but at the end of the day I personally can't see the attraction!

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1388261248' post='2320207']
I was reading through another thread where somebody made a comparison between basses and cars. The comparison was "Fender = Modeo, Alembic = Ferrari", then someone else elaborated "Fender = Mustang, Alembic = dated sportscar". I thought that to be quite interesting and both cases hinted a certain truth.

There's a tastily contentious thread in this. Here's a couple to get the ball rolling ...

Warwick Streamer Stage 1 = Porsche 911
Hofner Violin Bass = Morris Minor
Gibson Grabber = Austin Allegro
[/quote]
Ah, the power of the metaphor! I was responsible for setting the ball rolling on that other thread lol.

Any use of this bass = car comparison will be contentious...but it is interesting.

ok im gonna say fender p vw beetle reliable and practical with a cult following
fender jazz vw scirocco
warwick mecedes sometimes flash sometimes practical always well made
gibson like an old jaguar not always up to date with trends but smooth and dependable
hofner NSU

[quote name='Protium' timestamp='1388270419' post='2320346']
Despite the disclaimer, how about the P-bass is a 911 because the design has remained basically the same over it's entire lifetime... :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Apologies, no reading glasses on and completely missed the 6 point font size disclaimer!

....911 - I presume you mean apart from the move to water cooled engines, 4 wheel drive, automatic gearboxes, weird glass roof thingy and all the cosmetics? :P

I'm a massive 911 fan btw, especially the early ones that tried to kill you every so often - or maybe I'm just a rubbish driver... :blink:

Edited by ead

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1388271925' post='2320368']
Apologies, no reading glasses on and completely missed the 6 point font size disclaimer!

....911 - I presume you mean apart from the move to water cooled engines, 4 wheel drive, automatic gearboxes, weird glass roof thingy and all the cosmetics? :P

I'm a massive 911 fan btw, especially the early ones that tried to kill you every so often - or maybe I'm just a rubbish driver... :blink:
[/quote]

Not just you, they [i]will[/i] try to kill you given the opportunity :lol:

Be thankful that basses aren't like cars.

If they were they would be extremely poor value for money, prone to breaking down simply because you used them. You wouldn't be able to leave a bass anywhere without someone nicking the pickups out of it. Strings would be seriously expensive and more so every year. You wouldn't be able to play one in front of an audience without having first passed a test. And finally after about 10 years it would be worthless and in such poor condition that you'd have no choice but to bin it and buy another one….

[quote name='stu_g' timestamp='1388270562' post='2320347']
mecedes sometimes flash sometimes practical [b]always well made [/b]
[/quote]
Apart from the early M class 4x4s
You could pretty much watch them fall apart :lol:

Edited by UglyDog

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1388268866' post='2320321']
The Precision is the Ford Transit van. Might not be perfect for all applications but it will do the job, and all of us at some point have used or benefited from one.
[/quote]
that's really the truest thing ( and I don't like P's but I had one, and it helped me out big time )