Why become a member? ×

Are you a Bassist? Or are you just you?

xilddx

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1388176772' post='2319244']
I'm just me, being a bassist is simply a part of that.
[/quote]

Agreed - along with a whole bunch of other things.

These sorts of classifications are really for the benefit of others aren't they? We seem to love to pigeon-hole people - hence all the working-middle-upper class or ABC1 nonsense. I guess it's all part of our tribal history, but I reckon that, in general, it does more harm than good.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1388190259' post='2319424']
These sorts of classifications are really for the benefit of others aren't they? We seem to love to pigeon-hole people - hence all the working-middle-upper class or ABC1 nonsense. I guess it's all part of our tribal history, but I reckon that, in general, it does more harm than good.
[/quote]

Looking back, over the years I've unintentionally made it difficult for people to pigeon-hole me.

I now go out of my way to help people pigeon-hole me into whichever group I want to be part of. :)

A friend of mine introduced me to her pianist friend and said "This is Kev, he's a musician".

I said "Hi, sorry, actually I'm a bass player".

I love being a bass player but I don't think I take it as seriously as some of you. I like to do it well, but I wouldn't go to extremes, like slapping, or listening to Incognito, or pretending Stingrays are good.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1388197988' post='2319466']
I love being a bass player but I don't think I take it as seriously as some of you. I like to do it well, but I wouldn't go to extremes, like slapping, or listening to Incognito, or pretending Stingrays are good.
[/quote]

LMAO :lol:

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1388179963' post='2319288']
Yep, and I agree with him.

People generally need an identifiable set of 'credentials' to work out who you are, what you do and where you stand in the pecking order.
[/quote]

Yep also.
A few years before I retired from the day job (production director at a successful manufacturing company) for no reason other than the hell of it, I grew my hair and sidies back to where they were when I was 19 years old (now very grey though). This caused a few comments, as you can imagine.
Still for no apparent reason that I could fathom, I then decided to dump the suit and stuff and dressed for work in Levis, shirt and trainers.
My work did not suffer but the relationships throughout the business improved.

Strange that, when you consider being told what works and what doesn't work by "the experts".

So I guess I became me again - a production boss who played bass and is still a bit of a hippy at heart who pays for his guitars.