Why become a member? ×

Strap length: been able to play vs looking cool

col.decker

The higher the bass the less cool you look versus the lower the strap the more your back hurts.....do you still look cool hobbling round like an eighty year old because you did a Peter Hook the night before.

I realised I stopped being cool at least ten years ago (if I ever was cool) so I wear my bass for maximum comfort...I may go onstage next year in a dressing gown and carpet slippers

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1387477385' post='2312503']
The higher the bass the less cool you look versus the lower the strap the more your back hurts.....do you still look cool hobbling round like an eighty year old because you did a Peter Hook the night before.

I realised I stopped being cool at least ten years ago (if I ever was cool) so I wear my bass for maximum comfort...I may go onstage next year in a dressing gown and carpet slippers
[/quote]

As long as you don't go on stage in socks, hat and sunglasses! :D

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1387476192' post='2312480']
Same height on your body with bass on strap and standing up as sitting down and bass on thigh.
[/quote]

This!

Nothing is ever cool, if you approach it from the 'I want to look cool' angle.

Trying sucks!!

I most like fat guys who play it above their belly.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1387483359' post='2312638']
The rule is: as long as the instrument covers your navel, all is well. I now try to have my bass at the same height when sitting as when standing.
[/quote]

I used to subscribe to this school of thought, but not any more. Wherever possible I avoid playing sitting down! If I have my bass in this position I find two things happen:
1. My right hand (picking hand) wrist gets closer to a right angle which I find uncomfortable
2. The neck sits closer to horizontal, placing the 1st fret further away. Now having smallish hands, I find fretting the e sting on fret 1 with index finger and then fret 3 or 4 with ring or pinky respectively places stress on both my fingers/hand and my wrist goes over the 90 degree mark.

I wear my bass quite low by conventional standards, not quite a rob trujillo low, but the neck plate is at or about my belt buckle. By doing this I find my picking hand wrist is almost straight and by lowering the body, the neck rises higher,
Meaning my fretting hand wrist is also straighter.

I find this works really well for me, not saying it works for everyone. And I will concede that as
I move up the neck, usually around the 12th fret, at the angle I play it starts to get a little cramped, but I still manage ok. Keeping in mind I'm no virtuoso, so I don't spend hours soloing up and down the neck.

I also think I look cool... At least as cool as I can ever look1
http://www.smellslikeseattle.co.uk/About.html

I'm 40 and I'm a low slinger. It was never really about being cool, more just wanting to be like my idols 25yrs ago; if that is cool, fine and if not, each to their own. I raised it for a while in my late 20s / early 30s but I guess I'm so set in my ways I tend to have it below the belt.

And thankfully I have a pretty flat stomach so no issues there for me :)

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1387487940' post='2312692']
I used to subscribe to this school of thought, but not any more. Wherever possible I avoid playing sitting down! If I have my bass in this position I find two things happen:
1. My right hand (picking hand) wrist gets closer to a right angle which I find uncomfortable
2. The neck sits closer to horizontal, placing the 1st fret further away. Now having smallish hands, I find fretting the e sting on fret 1 with index finger and then fret 3 or 4 with ring or pinky respectively places stress on both my fingers/hand and my wrist goes over the 90 degree mark.
[/quote]

Aha! (to quote Alan Partridge)

1. I play with my right elbow lifted, keeping the right wrist straight(-ish);
2. I also raise the neck of the bass some way above the horizontal, which helps with 1, although I am as yet in no danger of morphing into Bill Wyman.

Stratospheric height never bothers mr king..i think high basses are an 80's thing, all neat 'n tidy then grunge came along and basses hung low, unkempt 'n sulky.

my height is same as sitting...seems ok to me.....but the other night i was playing caro emerald with my bass sitting on its arse, like a double bass so what do i know?!?