Why become a member? ×

Barefaced. Now's your chance!!

Conan

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1386847485' post='2305231']
Why exactly are you doing this?
[/quote]

It's Conan's poll and he'll answer for himself, but I'm certainly interested to see how this pans out.

Like many on Basschat I have been fascinated by the polarisation of opinion when it comes to Alex and his cabs.

The impression I get (and that's all it is, my impression) is that there is a very small number of Barefaced haters who compensate for their small numbers by being extremely noisy, and that there is a much larger number of Barefaced lovers (and yes, of course that includes me) who don't understand their hate.

This poll offers a first serious effort to take impressions and replace them with actual numbers.

Got to start somewhere ...

[quote name='Pow_22' timestamp='1386850308' post='2305285']
What about - Ive tried a few (Vintage, Compact and the the midget), not BAD cabs but nowhere near worth the cost. Much prefer my Ampeg and my old Hartke AK
[/quote]

I guess that would be option five... which, to be fair, doesn't specifically refer to their cost.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1386847817' post='2305238'] It's Conan's poll and he'll answer for himself, but I'm certainly interested to see how this pans out. Like many on Basschat I have been fascinated by the polarisation of opinion when it comes to Alex and his cabs. The impression I get (and that's all it is, my impression) is that there is a very small number of Barefaced haters who compensate for their small numbers by being extremely noisy, and that there is a much larger number of Barefaced lovers (and yes, of course that includes me) who don't understand their hate. This poll offers a first serious effort to take impressions and replace them with actual numbers. Got to start somewhere ... [/quote]

Fair enough, if it were Fender, Ric, Warwick I don't see a problem, seems potentially unfair on what is after all a one man show. The web is a big audience?

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1386849721' post='2305273']
What are your feelings about BF cabs?

I don't know but I've just checked out his new Simplexx cabs.
[/quote]
I saw what you did there

For the OP, Bill Fitzmaurice = BF as well as Barefaced = BF

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1386847485' post='2305231']
Why exactly are you doing this?
[/quote]

Jack's post pretty much hits the nail on the head.

I like to think that I am pretty open-minded about things, and that includes bass gear. I have been pleasantly surprised by some cheap stuff in the past (Fender MIM Jazz, Squier Affinity P bass, Hartke LH500 for example) and disappointed by some higher-end gear (Alembic Epic, Spector EuroLX...).

But I have never experienced the reactions that BF products seem to engender in (some) people, I am genuinely baffled by the vitriol. Equally, some of the hagiography gets wearing too.

The way I see it, BF cabs (or the ones I have tried/owned at least) offer some significant advantages for some users. Yes, they have drawbacks but most owners are fairly sanguine about these. It doesn't mean that we all want to bear Alex Claber's love children - just that we are a bit more realistic in our expectations of a company that are trying to come up with some new answers to the age-old problems of tonal quality, weight, size and cost.

The criticisms are, of course, valid if people have actually tried the cabs - but some of the most vocal critics admit to not having owned or even used a BF cab. That I find odd.

So yes, some numbers would be interesting. And yes, it is a bit of fun/silliness too. And, like all polls, it is only any use if people participate honestly.

No ulterior motives though - I promise! :)

The voting options are two one-dimensional. I think they are both good and bad. Here's what I think.

Pros:
Great sounding cabs (to a lot of people)
Light and portable

Cons:
Some question marks over quality of product
Expensive for what they are
Some question marks about customer service
Some question marks about supply chain