Why become a member? ×

We have been string break free for ......days.

Dom in Dorset

Well, never, can't remember ever breaking a string.
I play with fingers and a pic, for a few years in the 90's exclusively pic. Played some quite heavy music.
I did break a few while setting up a fretless a few years ago, but I was using old strings and took them up to tension and down again many , many times while shaving the board down and fiddling with the truss/saddles.
I can honestly say that I've never broken a string gigging, rehearsing, recording or noodling around at home.

I recently started doing proper regular pub gigs, 4/5 a month, and my mate, who plays rhythm guitar, says " where's your spare bass, what if a string goes?". Never in 26 years playing have I broken a string. The guitarist has done three mid song changes in the last couple months. Glad I'm not a guitarist! Still, if they had proper BIG FAT strings like us, perhaps the problem wouldn't occur!

Broke one, second ever gig.

It was during the sound check and I was playing with my fingers. I played a note on the A string, bounced my finger in to the low E and it snapped around my finger.

It put a massive deep gouge down each side of my finger that probably should have had stitches, but I was too rock n' roll for that! Took me about three hours the following day to clean all of the blood from my bass!

[quote name='Dave_the_bass' timestamp='1386425606' post='2299968']
Broke one, second ever gig.

It was during the sound check and I was playing with my fingers. I played a note on the A string, bounced my finger in to the low E and it snapped around my finger.

It put a massive deep gouge down each side of my finger that probably should have had stitches, but I was too rock n' roll for that! Took me about three hours the following day to clean all of the blood from my bass!
[/quote]

Ouch! This is why we now do a full H&S Risk Assessment before every gig, including full protective clothing, safety goggles and shoes, and nearest exit in the case of fire. Yeah right.

Actually the only 'assessment' we do is finding the quickest route to the bar & loos (and buffet if applicable). It's all Sex, Drugs & Sausage Rolls.

Back on topic - never had a string break, but about 3 years ago I did have one suddenly stretch about a whole centimetre for no apparent reason. Most odd. Mid song re-tune and it just held until the break (gig, not string lol) for a quick change. I always carry spares.

Edited by RandomBass

I've never broken a string on one my own basses, but I did break one on a school bass back at school. I don't think it really counts though, the string had literally rusted over and it was about three seconds after picking it up that I broke the string.

EDIT: Always carry a spare set in my leads & bits bag just in case, though.

Edited by Ziphoblat

[quote name='sykilz' timestamp='1386412885' post='2299745']
I recently started doing proper regular pub gigs, 4/5 a month, and my mate, who plays rhythm guitar, says " where's your spare bass, what if a string goes?". Never in 26 years playing have I broken a string. The guitarist has done three mid song changes in the last couple months. Glad I'm not a guitarist! Still, if they had proper BIG FAT strings like us, perhaps the problem wouldn't occur!
[/quote]

Funnily enough. I think I may have broken one string at a gig. A string I'd done the boiling water thing on back in the '80s.

A few years back I did a New Year's Eve gig and the singer asked me if I wanted him to bring a spare bass. I said I'd got a spare but won't be bringing it, just spare strings.

So tuning up waiting to start the set and my E string goes floppy. No worries, I'll change it. Turn the tuning peg to loosen it and nothing happens. The machine head had snapped!

Moved all the strings up one place during the first verse of the second song and played a three string bass for the entire night. Some tunes were not as rehearsed. ;)

I always carry both a spare bass and a spare set of strings (for each bass) to every gig.

At one of my first bass-playing gigs I broke a string during the opening number and was only able to complete the gig by borrowing the support band's Grant violin bass copy which was strung with flats and on a strap so long that it dangled just below my knees. At the time I was playing a Burns with round-wound strings and wore my bass just under my chin. To say that I struggled with both tone and playability for the rest of the gig was a bit of an understatement... The following day I went out and bought a Hagstrom Futurama bass for £35 so at least I would have something that was used to playing as a spare. I've rarely gigged without a spare since - in the days when I played both fretted and fretless I would have a spare for each.

Over the years I have managed to break every string including the low B on a five string bass. IME the usual cause of string breakage is manufacturing defects in the core. I generally sense that a string is going to break as I can feel the compliance change shortly before the core itself snaps.

In my guitar playing days I would never had considered setting foot on stage without at least one spare guitar and someone poised ready to restring them as required.