Why become a member? ×

Pearl Jam

Thunderbird

Well I have never really liked Pearl jam much but the other day I had Planet Rock on and this song came on and I thought wow what a cool song and when I heard him say it was a song from pearl jam I was really amazed as to me it is so different to the stuff they have done before, the name of the track is called "Mind your manners" if anyone is interested I liked it that much I may even check out there new album :)

I'm a huge fan of PJ from any period of their playing. My favourite album? Hard to say, it's easier to point the one I like least - "Binaural".
Others are simply great, and Jeff Ament's bass playing is wonderful, especially in songs like "Rats", "Jeremy" and "Just Breathe".
"Mind Your Manners" seems to be a natural consequence of their playing and is not that "revolutionary" really, but it's a really great song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWQYYavheUA

Edited by Immo

I went to see Pearl Jam when they were just starting out, and I remember it vividly . At that time , they seemed to have a great future ahead of them and there was a big buzz about them . Unfortunately, they never really delivered on that early promise for numerous reasons, not least of all because in the cold light of day they weren't actually as good as people hoped they were at that time. They have, however, carved out a niche for themselves and have a massive and devoted following despite churning out rather dissappointing records for most of their career. Eddie Vedder has got great hair, too.

I always thought their second album , Versus, was their best. Like a lot of bands, they made the mistake of eschewing commerciality in their music in favour of pursuing their own ideas and interests , when the reality was that it was when they were at their most accessible that they were in fact at their best. They have sold millions of records, but have never really made a great album , which is a terrible shame because they had such potential..

Edited by Dingus

Haven't really taken to the newest album. It's a lot better than the folk music they've been releasing over the last decade though. Gossard needs to get more involved in the song writing IMO. He was definitely the driving force on the earlier albums.

[quote name='Mog' timestamp='1385925259' post='2293727']
Haven't really taken to the newest album. It's a lot better than the folk music they've been releasing over the last decade though. Gossard needs to get more involved in the song writing IMO. He was definitely the driving force on the earlier albums.
[/quote] Having listened to the whole album now I tend to agree with you I think there is the one great track and the rest are just fillers I was a bit disappointed to be honest as I was expecting a good album off the back of Mind your manners

Love Pearl Jam - Jeff Ament is one of my favourite bassists as well - a good, honest, solid player with some tasty lines.
I think I prefer their 'simpler' songs, some of their stuff can be a bit indulgent but they are all good at what they do.
Agree with some of the comments below - I don't think that musically they have become quite the band they could have.
I'm thinking like the sum of the parts is not much more than the sum of whole for some reason.

Still worth a listen to the back catalogue for any rockers though.

I saw Pearl Jam live around the time Ten was released. It was a proper energy filled gig, one of the best gigs I've been to.
Chatted to most of the band before and after, they came across as very nice guys.
The first 2 albums were great, then Vitology was a bit of a let down. The following albums seem to just plod along until Riot Act came out. That is one of my favourite albums.
Then Pearl Jam and Backspacer didn't seem to do much for me, but I'm really liking Thunder Bolt.

[quote name='Adrenochrome' timestamp='1385981319' post='2294207'] Goes to show how much experiences vary. I LOVE Vitalogy, many of the best lyrics they've written - I know it's not stadium rock but there's more to this band than singalong anthems surely... :blink: [/quote]

I totally agree. I know several people who think Vitology is the best album, but I listened to Vitology recently and not a single song grabbed my attention...

I like 10 a lot, some tracks on the 2nd were great, others not so, same with the 3rd album. Songs like better man Jeremy, even flow, garden, still alive, black, daughter, nothing man, and yellow leadbetter are really brilliant, but I'm not keen on other tracks.

They're are great live though, I bought one of the encore series live albums a year or so ago, recorded at Madison square garden, that's a great album.

I just love the stuff, and don't care about the fact that my humble opinion tells me they're not up there with the best in my personal musical world. Couldn't care less about that humble opinion. It's L.U.R.V !

That said, Lightning Bolt seems nice enough, like Pearl Jam and Backspacer, and I hope to get it for Christmas. I hear my son play his copy, and my head starts moving. Samey samey indeed, but when one loves that stuff...
I mean I can well have the same Lagavulin 16yo once again after my first pint, and maybe even another one. :)

That said, for me the real Pearl Jam deal is Ten, Vs., Vitalogy, No Code and Yield, with a special mention for Vitalogy, which to me always seemed like Pearl Jam taking me on a trip to new and exciting places. IOW, I need to hear the whole album in one sitting - and absolutely no random play for this one.

Either Binaural or Rio Act did nothing for me. I think it was Binaural, but must play again.

I really like all their albums, Yield was a definite high point for me (I'd say that lyrically they were best from Ten-Vitalogy though). Mind Your Manners is a great track but not really indicative of the rest of the album - it's still not a bad record, but none of the other tracks have the energy of MYM and there's a couple of forgetable ones on there.

I liked them since day one, they've evolved with age, the thing I find is that I'm always disappointed with their albums until I hear the songs played live, somehow the songs they choose to do live work better than in the context of an album. As said though, the gems seem to be a bit more thinly spread nowadays. Always worth a look live though, Eddie is a great modern day front man and sings with real passion.

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1386013828' post='2294652']

And no thread about PJ is complete without mentioning the Temple of the Dog album. Arguably one of the greatest rock albums ever. Who argues that? Me and my mate Rich.

FACT.
[/quote]

I won't disagree, but that would lead you to Soundgarden and BadMotorFinger which is better.

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1386104810' post='2295936']
I won't disagree, but that would lead you to Soundgarden and BadMotorFinger which is better.
[/quote]
Ha ha,still passion about great Seattle bands.. Brought up on all the grunge scene,it was either that or shitpop! All great accomplished musicians. Eddie Vedder is such a great lyricist. I really think that even some of my fave bands have done some slightly less popular albums,but thats good to be different,not always popular. Still together and still playing,cant say fairer than that, Saw them in London in 93 at Finsbury park. They were fantastic,seen em a couple of times since. Always give 110% live

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1386104810' post='2295936']

[/quote]

BadMotorFinger is totally awesome and Soundgarden's best record by far but for me TOTD just edges it.