Why become a member? ×

What difference can .005 make!!

throwoff

Bloody loads it seems.

I have always used .105 - .045 rounds on all my basses since ever, and even with regular practice and gigging my fingers used to hate me after a gig or a 4 hour rehearsal. I always had it in my head that they gave a fatter sound and that for my rock style it was the best bet.

When I got the new P bass I put on a set of Nickel plated Fender .100 to .40 (all I could get on a moments notice) and bloody hell, no more pain, feels nicer, sounds no different to the .105s either...

I am a convert. If I had gone for my normal strings I would probably have found I didn't love the bass as much.

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1385657983' post='2290814']
Bloody loads it seems.

I have always used .105 - .045 rounds on all my basses since ever, and even with regular practice and gigging my fingers used to hate me after a gig or a 4 hour rehearsal. I always had it in my head that they gave a fatter sound and that for my rock style it was the best bet.

When I got the new P bass I put on a set of Nickel plated Fender .100 to .40 (all I could get on a moments notice) and bloody hell, no more pain, feels nicer, sounds no different to the .105s either...

I am a convert. If I had gone for my normal strings I would probably have found I didn't love the bass as much.
[/quote]

I had exactly the same thing! I used to use .100 to .45 but although the action was nice, I wanted more movemet in the strings for expression. Now I use D'Addario EXL180 which are .95 to .35... You can imagine how much of a breeze they are!

I just switched from using a .130 B-string to a .125 (Elixir) and I'm loving it! It sounds less boomy, more defined and feels great. I feared it would be sloppy, especially compared to the E-string, but it doesnt! Even though I'm still using a .105 E! Maybe next time I'll try an overall lighter set with a .100, who knows, I might actually like it!

I went from 125-100-85-60-45 to 135-105-90-70-50 (DR ddt) and love it. More even tonality and can drop the low b to a when I feel like it with no loss of definition in my sound.

Bass/setup/make of strings/ears make all the difference.

Edited by Bolo

I`m not overkeen on them for live use, but the best recorded sound I`ve ever had was I think, 90s or 100s on a Precision. It was our producers bass and he said he picked up the tip of using lighter gauge strings from Trevor Bolder (of Ziggy/Bowie fame).

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1385661378' post='2290870']
just stuck a set of Balanced Tension D'Addario's on, and managed to drop the action to the floor! Bit of a tighter feel, but the strings all feel even- no floppy E, and the action is where I want it now.
[/quote]

I'm keen to give a more balanced tension set a try on my 5'er - currently 135 - 45 D'Addario XL nickels... I love them except the D & G (65 & 45?) feel tighter than the rest, which get's annoying - so when I switch them out I'm keen to get a lighter set... but would like to keep around 105 for the E and 135 for the B string...

I'll have to see what's out there!

I use 135s on my 5 string basses but I always use a .055 instead of the.045s supplied for the G string, prior to this I always found that the standard .045s left the G string a bit thin and weak. I have a mid 60s Fender Catalogue which shows that their standard gauge G string was .054.

Edited by Jazz Bass 65