Why become a member? ×

Dream Theater

bigd1

I've liked D/T right from the start, I think being a YES fan at hart is a big help as Like YES not every bodies cup of tea.
I just wondered what BCers thought of the last few albums by D/T. To me they seem to have taken the "music perfection" too far, and the music has become a little like early computer music. It seems to lack feel and ebb and flow that makes music, music.
I know the ethos of D/T is to make music at the highest level but have they sacrificed perfection for music ?
The latest album is to me the worst of this theme, and really to my ears sounds like a computer churning out sounds, perfectly timed, pitched. placed and not very human.

Ta very glad
BIGd

Edited by bigd1

I've only recently discovered them, and I've set about buying up their back catalogue, you can get boxed sets with 4 or 5 albums pretty cheaply on amazon.

I prefer the newer stuff, I certainly prefer the new drummer to Portnoy.

My favourite albums so far are black clouds, octavarium, systematic chaos and dream theater. The new live at luna park DVD is really good.

I'm guessing that I'll maybe get into the older stuff as I listen to it more.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1385231020' post='2285925']
Saw them a few times. Awesome live, tho' I thought symphony x were better than them last time .opeth also.
Have a couple of their cds and DVDs (one still unplayed). Don't play them at all .
[/quote]
+1 to Opeth...they seriously impressed me when I saw them.

I think I've seen D/T about 4 times live, and now I think about it the "no vibe" as pointed out above did seem to have effected the live show.
The thing is the level of skill in the band is off the chart, but I do feel they seem to have dropped the ball a little in the vibe.
Opeth are a fantastic band although I haven't seem them live yet.

I will also put myself down as a yes fan that never liked dream theatre.
That is to say, they are obviously fantastically talented, and I can listen to the occasional track but there is no way I could sit through an entire album (and I do have an album, I doubt I have listened to all of it) without getting very bored. So I don't think there really is a link between them and yes (or any other prog group).

I like Yes a lot , but Dream Theatres music has always been impenetrable to me , despite several attempts to give them a fair chance.

It seems like modern Prog rock by numbers to me. What's more, their music is so boring that they seem to have that rare unwanted gift for making a minutes worth of time last for more than sixty seconds. The phrase " full of sound and fury signifying nothing" is most apt for their music.

My brother is a big fan of the early Dream Theatre stuff , but then again , he likes Enya and Andrew Lloyd Webber musicals too, and is a bit weird in a whole number of different ways ( trust me, you don't want to know what he does with a Pot Noodle and a bread roll).

Edited by Dingus

I'm not just a big YES fan, I like most Prog bands Crimson, Genesis, Focus, Porcupine Tree, Steve Wilson, ELP and lots of others.
I have all of D/T albums and I kind of put my liking of them down to my passion for Prog.
Some of you have said you love , YES but can't get on with D/T, I could be wrong !! NNNNoooooo :gas:

[b]Marvin[/b], I think you are correct, it is feel that's missing.

[quote name='bigd1' timestamp='1385234252' post='2285986']
Some of you have said you love , YES but can't get on with D/T.....
[/quote]

I used to be a big Yes fan, but I find them as unlistenable as Dream Theater these days. Haven't a clue why, they just irritate me.

I find the majority of the music I've listened to for decades pretty much unlistenable these days to be honest.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1385235111' post='2286002']
I used to be a big Yes fan, but I find them as unlistenable as Dream Theater these days. Haven't a clue why, they just irritate me.

I find the majority of the music I've listened to for decades pretty much unlistenable these days to be honest.
[/quote]
It's an age thing........................... :D

Unlike most people I know (who say that 'Images & Words' can't be beaten) I discovered them quite late and still think 'Black Clouds and Silver Linings' is one of their best albums. I thought 'A Dramatic Turn of Events' was a brilliant album considering Mike Portnoy had nothing to do with the drums although I have to admit, I feel like their newest album would have been better with Portnoy on it. 'Illumination Theory' and 'Behind the Veil' are two awesome tracks off the new album.

My new custom bass is also a bit John Myung inspiried... :blush:

Phenomenal musicians, though I find LaBrie's voice unbearable when he starts wailing. Metropolis Pt2. Scenes from a Memory
and Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence are their pinnacles for me, not keen on anything that they've produced since then.

[quote name='Jellyfish' timestamp='1385294432' post='2286437']
Unlike most people I know (who say that 'Images & Words' can't be beaten) I discovered them quite late and still think 'Black Clouds and Silver Linings' is one of their best albums. I thought 'A Dramatic Turn of Events' was a brilliant album considering Mike Portnoy had nothing to do with the drums although I have to admit, I feel like their newest album would have been better with Portnoy on it. 'Illumination Theory' and 'Behind the Veil' are two awesome tracks off the new album.

My new custom bass is also a bit John Myung inspiried... :blush:
[/quote]

Would be interested to see your Myung inspired bass !

Have to agree, I bought the new self-titled album hoping to like it, but it just leaves me completely cold. More than anything, I find Labrie's voice really grates on me (and as a huge YES fan, I've heard plenty of people say the same thing about Jon Anderson -- but I love him). He's either all "fake emoting / ballad voice" or "screamy / metal voice" and nothing in between. Whilst the rest of the band are obviously highly trained, massively technically gifted players, the music they make together just doesn't "move" me. About the only album of theirs I can listen to these days is the 2nd (?) one "Images and Words" (the on with Pull Me Under on it). The new one... frankly I wish I hadn't wasted my money.

Massive DT fan but I agree with the sentiments running through this thread.

Since Scenes From A Memory they seem to have lost the charm that they had. There's no sense of fun anymore and it's all very dry and cold. Totally over-produced!

I really wish they'd just stop trying to be a heavy band, it's weird and I don't like it.

Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1385976407' post='2294143']
Massive DT fan but I agree with the sentiments running through this thread.

Since Scenes From A Memory they seem to have lost the charm that they had. There's no sense of fun anymore and it's all very dry and cold. Totally over-produced!

I really wish they'd just stop trying to be a heavy band, it's weird and I don't like it.

Truckstop
[/quote]
+1. I thought Portnoy was to blame for the shred metal infatuation but the last album was just more of the same. I reckon Rudess changed the dynamic when he joined. Moore and Sherinian were less eager to harmonise note for note with Petrucci.
I still put Awake ahead of anything else they've released.